Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spending $200+ on Babies' and Girl's Hairbows? What?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Barbara

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:39 am
amother wrote:
I'm one of those "crazy" people who spend a lot on my kids clothing. I try to purchase things that are nice and good quality. I don't live in Lakewood so don't shop in Ladida but I purchase many of the brands they sell in my local stores.
With that said, I would never buy an ugly headband that some frum lady made in her kitchen with a glue gun and polyester bows. They jack up the price so every blind follower thinks they're getting this exclusive cool thing. Its actually pretty funny.

I was blessed by working near the late, great Daffys and Syms when DS was younger, and between those stores and outlet malls, he was always in higher-end clothing, for a fraction of the price.

But I had a rule about clothes. If his clothes looked to neat and too clean at the end of the day, then something was wrong. They should be messy and sweaty and dirty from play. That's what kids do. And if they were torn or stained? Well, that's what kids do.

So as long as your girls are allowed to be kids in their $150 school dresses, and the boys be boys in their $150 plaid shirts, enjoy.

cbg

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:40 am
I had to see what these headbands looked like.
First of all I can tie a prettier bow.
The pompon flowers look like they came from a craft store (pre made)
I consider myself on the wealthier side and I wouldn't pay more than $7 for a hair accessory FOR A VERY SPECIAL OCCASION.
For my son's wedding I bought a crystal comb that was about 5" long. I spent $12 because I saw them for $220 at the mall.

When my girls were little (5-14) they use to wear the thin gold cord bow that came with chocolates and some gift boxes. Or they would make scrunchies from the extra material when you hemmed a skirt or dress.
They would save ribbons from presents and use them as accessories.
I guess those times are gone.

sourstix

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:41 am
[quote="amother"]I was once in a fancy store in brooklyn and it was 70% off and the lady online in front of me was deciding whether to buy the 11$ socks (at 70% off?!?!??) For her 18 month old.
They were grey with mustaches on them... 70$ baby socks.... I would never evem spend 11...[/quote]

the most I paid for baby socks and that was for a wedding. is probably 5$. lol 11 dollars. they get lost before you reach the wedding hall. ha ha

sourstix

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 9:43 am
[quote="cbg"]I had to see what these headbands looked like.
First of all I can tie a prettier bow.
The pompon flowers look like they came from a craft store (pre made)
I consider myself on the wealthier side and I wouldn't pay more than $7 for a hair accessory FOR A VERY SPECIAL OCCASION.
For my son's wedding I bought a crystal comb that was about 5" long. I spent $12 because I saw them for $220 at the mall.

When my girls were little (5-14) they use to wear the thin gold cord bow that came with chocolates and some gift boxes. Or they would make scrunchies from the extra material when you hemmed a skirt or dress.
They would save ribbons from presents and use them as accessories.
I guess those times are gone.[/quote] b

oh boy oh boy do I love those days. I used to do that too. we loved taking the gold ribbons from presents and put them in our hair. gone are those days.

sourstix

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 10:00 am
[quote="Squishy"][ quote="Raisin"]Thats a lot of money, however I doubt they were buying $200 or even $80 hair accessories.[/quote]

No they were buying loads of hair accessories rather than tights and shells. I don't see any difference in $200 headband and 6 headbands at $200.[/quote].

on closer look, you dont know what she will be doing with all those accesories. dont judge. I hate when pp misuse tzedaka. but one thing I have learned in my life is not to judge. you really never know whats going on in someones life. of course its maddening to see pp misuse the money. but get to know them and their story you would be surprised. I know its tempting. I have read and heard so many stories that looked so bad on the outside and when I heard what went on a shiver went through me. and tzedaka is a mitzva. we dont get to choose if we want to do it or not. there should be pp and rabbanim in charge deciding who gets what and how much. I do give to those places. I try to give and say to myself that hashem has rachmanus on the ones we have rachmanus. bec a person never knows what can happen to them. I try to give whatever means I have sometimes more sometimes less. it isnt a easy mitzva.

cbg

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 10:03 am
sourstix wrote:
b

oh boy oh boy do I love those days. I used to do that too. we loved taking the gold ribbons from presents and put them in our hair. gone are those days.

LETS BRING THOSE DAYS BACK.
UNFORTUNATELY MY GC ARE ALL BOYS.
STILL I CRINGE WHEN I HEAR MY DD SPEND $30 on a pair of pants for a 3yr old. And she doesn't buy only 1. But I guess she's thrifty for now a days.

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 10:10 am
No wonder I had a dream last night that I was wearing the strangest headband. It had feathers, rhinestones, and the middle was a felt hat type of thing.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 10:58 am
Am I the only one who isnt getting email notifications of new posts on this thread, or is there a kink system-wide?

I definitely am "watching this topic".

Still have smoke coming out of my ears.

suzyq

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:09 am
Wow. I almost fell off my chair when I opened that website and saw what is sold for $200 there. I am SOOO glad that I have boys who are happy to wear whatever I hand them. And I agree with Barbara - the dirtier my boys are when I pick them up at the end of the day, the more fun I figure they had.

I have to say though, you would think someone who sells $200 headbands could afford to pay someone to proofread her site! Maybe I should offer to do it for a few thousand dollars - a bargain if you ask me Smile

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:09 am
This thread is only sending notifications to potential buyers. I guess you didn't make the cut, and they didn't want to waste valuable server energy on sending you such emails.

imasoftov

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:11 am
Notifications for this thread cost extra ...

dancingqueen

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:17 am
suzyq wrote:
Wow. I almost fell off my chair when I opened that website and saw what is sold for $200 there. I am SOOO glad that I have boys who are happy to wear whatever I hand them. And I agree with Barbara - the dirtier my boys are when I pick them up at the end of the day, the more fun I figure they had.

I have to say though, you would think someone who sells $200 headbands could afford to pay someone to proofread her site! Maybe I should offer to do it for a few thousand dollars - a bargain if you ask me Smile

In defense of girls, my dd didn't come with a contract requiring the purchase of 200 dollar headpieces Wink

I do like accessories for her but I don't spend 200 on a single hairbow lol. I'm not surprised that people do though, even though I find it ridiculous.

happybeingamom

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:20 am
Squishy wrote:
I don't spend $250 a season on shells, tights and socks for dd. I only buy when needed.

Believe me we buy only whats needed, but when ever I walk into the store the bill is big. The tights and pantyhose get runs and holes pretty quickly, white shells get stained pretty fast. I don't calculate what I spend on each daughter but a huge part of their clothing expenses goes on these items.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:25 am
imasoftov wrote:
Notifications for this thread cost extra ...

Im seriously not getting emails. Hello, Yael, ..... anybody? Anyone of importance upset I started this thread?

Lets all hope Yael doesnt get any ideas about unique charges, as is seemingly in vogue for "crafty" (hee hee) business owners these days.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:26 am
Did you check Spam?

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:31 am
sourstix wrote:

on closer look, you dont know what she will be doing with all those accesories. dont judge. I hate when pp misuse tzedaka. but one thing I have learned in my life is not to judge. you really never know whats going on in someones life. of course its maddening to see pp misuse the money. but get to know them and their story you would be surprised. I know its tempting. I have read and heard so many stories that looked so bad on the outside and when I heard what went on a shiver went through me. and tzedaka is a mitzva. we dont get to choose if we want to do it or not. there should be pp and rabbanim in charge deciding who gets what and how much. I do give to those places. I try to give and say to myself that hashem has rachmanus on the ones we have rachmanus. bec a person never knows what can happen to them. I try to give whatever means I have sometimes more sometimes less. it isnt a easy mitzva.

They are wearing the accessories. I don't begrudge tzedukah for hair accessories. If everyone else has a pretty band or bow, then these girls should have also for yom tov. I think the amount is extreme. If this is masser then perhaps a better community benefit would be to raffle off the certificates and put the money towards schools.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:31 am
how often do these families get these vouchers? More then once a year? $250 does not sound terribly excessive to spend on tights and shells and accessories for a year. Especially those think shabbos tights that rip easily. Probably a bit more then I spend but I don't keep track.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:32 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Did you check Spam?

Thanks! Yes they went to spam! Weird. Why after years? I was getting suspicious (more smoke coming out of my ears).

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:33 am
I think the concern was that they were being used on the hair accessories instead of the shells/tights that need replacing more often and are by definition more expensive for quality than hair accessories which CAN be bought cheaper for the same quality.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 06 2015, 11:45 am
amother wrote:
Thanks! Yes they went to spam! Weird. Why after years? I was getting suspicious (more smoke coming out of my ears).

Because it's spam trying to get you to spend 200 on a headband Wink
Page 6 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics