Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do people in NYC keep kids home in the summer?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Jun 27 2015, 7:23 pm
amother wrote:
I am doing mommy camp this summer in NYC as well. Can you please share specifically what trips you went on.

Beach, Brooklyn bridge park, prospect park splash pad, prospect park zoo, aquarium, kids n action, build a bear, Lego store, Central Park, museum of natural history, intrepid, marine park, Long Island childrens museum, Staten Island childrens museum, broadway show, imagination playground, jj Byrne playground, Barnes and Nobel, Bronx zoo, sunset park pool and playground, white post farms, Dino's wonder wheel. I will write more when I think of more.

seeker

Post Sat, Jun 27 2015, 7:58 pm
About going to bed early - Aim for ROUTINE, not early. I think the later sunset contributes to kids just not being sleepy as early in the summer. I have already given up for this year and consider my kids' bedtime officially an hour later than it used to be. I think the problem is when it's a no-structure free-for-all, which is what kids start to think if they're not in bed at their usual time, but if you embrace it as a new time while enforcing your same old routines then you can keep your structure without fighting a losing battle earlier in the evening. And that also works with trips and outings that might end you up getting home late - instead of messing up your schedule, that fits right in. I happen to HATE hot sunny days so on slow/home days we first head out to the parks about 4 PM when they get shady but it's still light and warm. So I by default don't expect to be home and ready for bed by 6:30. Instead bedtime is simply later, I don't feel stressed about it, and it runs pretty much the same as always just later. (Don't look now, though; my kids are not sleeping yet and last night was the same embarrassed)

When it's a regular schedule they seem to adjust by waking up later, too. When it's only once in a while they wake up the same early even when they go to sleep late, but for summer we just all shift a couple of hours. Maybe a little less total sleep, whatever.

I'm thinking you can let your oldest stay up even later so you can get some alone time. I bet it's not easy for him/her to have to spend all day every day with little kids. Let an hour or so at night be "big-kid" time, he can do something himself while you put the little ones to sleep and then you can do something more sophisticated together.

For activities:
Check out websites Time Out NY Kids and Mommy Poppins NYC
The "related topics" that show up under this thread says something about free summer activities in NY that has over 20 replies; I haven't read it yet but seems worth a click.

zigi

Post Sat, Jun 27 2015, 9:24 pm
Roosevelt island, governers island-they have ranger tours during the week. its worth it to get a zoo membership and then go to all of the zoos and aquarium. b/c you have to pay extra to see a lot of the animals any way.

arts and crafts from junk around the house. cooking class - making lunch and supper. also the kids learn how to entertain themselves.

Laiya

Post Sat, Jun 27 2015, 10:17 pm
I've done camp mommy for several years and it's definitely challenging. I agree with the posters who said that routine, schedule and advance preparation are the key. Also constant positive reinforcement--daily small prizes like stickers and weekly prizes from the dollar store.

Also, the idea to pay for extra cleaning help--brilliant!! Def. wish I'd done that. Also, agree with the poster who said to check out www.mommypoppins.com; I got tons of great ideas there.

NYC has tons and tons of parks and playgrounds in each borough. You can also try googling, Best playgrounds in __[borough].

Here's a few random suggestions: My kids loved the beach at the Long Island Sound. The waves are very low, so I was also less nervous. During a heat wave, I took them ice-skating. Staten Island ferry is free. Libraries have events. U-pick farms in LI. Keep a large box of ices in the freezer. They can make popsicle stick structures--this actually appealed to various ages.

Here's some project ideas:
http://pulptastic.com/15-geniu.....kids/

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:42 am
mommy2b2c wrote:
Beach, Brooklyn bridge park, prospect park splash pad, prospect park zoo, aquarium, kids n action, build a bear, Lego store, Central Park, museum of natural history, intrepid, marine park, Long Island childrens museum, Staten Island childrens museum, broadway show, imagination playground, jj Byrne playground, Barnes and Nobel, Bronx zoo, sunset park pool and playground, white post farms, Dino's wonder wheel. I will write more when I think of more.

Some questions please Smile
Which Imagination Playground? The one at JJ Byrne?
Is the Sunset Park pool gross?

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:46 am
Lots of rain this past week, running out of indoor ideas and stay at home patience! What are y'all up to today?!

Most friends seem to be gone to the country, I don't need any more groceries, and grandparent doesn't feel up to being visited. Sigh. Husband working today, too. Did home games and stuff all morning and now up to squabbling stage, I did not plan in advance for today because last week I was just aiming. For Shabbos and then it ended too late to think :-p

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:49 am
seeker wrote:
Lots of rain this past week, running out of indoor ideas and stay at home patience! What are y'all up to today?!

Most friends seem to be gone to the country, I don't need any more groceries, and grandparent doesn't feel up to being visited. Sigh. Husband working today, too. Did home games and stuff all morning and now up to squabbling stage, I did not plan in advance for today because last week I was just aiming. For Shabbos and then it ended too late to think :-p

Can you make a quick sugar cookie dough with them and have them roll, use cookie cutters and decorate?

Videos may be a last resort, but maybe this is the time.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:56 am
ra_mom wrote:
Can you make a quick sugar cookie dough with them and have them roll, use cookie cutters and decorate?

Videos may be a last resort, but maybe this is the time.

Or rainbow cookies - use gloves to mix food coloring in and let them make whatever they please, within a similar size.
Pretzels might be fun too but not as time consuming.

sneakermom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:56 am
If you need the house straightened you can give out some small chores and supervise them to get it done.

That sometimes focuses everyone and changes the atmosphere.

When that's done they can do or get something for a treat. Yesterday I let my kids dance in the rain! They got so wet but then were ready for pajamas and bed when they came in.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 8:58 am
ra_mom wrote:
Some questions please Smile
Which Imagination Playground? The one at JJ Byrne?
Is the Sunset Park pool gross?

Imagination playground in manhattan.

The pool is enormous and very clean.

A heads up- they won't let you in without a bathing suit. If you are concerned with tznius, you need to wear a bathing suit with a white tee shirt and a white skirt over it.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:07 am
mommy2b2c wrote:
Imagination playground in manhattan.

The pool is enormous and very clean.

A heads up- they won't let you in without a bathing suit. If you are concerned with tznius, you need to wear a bathing suit with a white tee shirt and a white skirt over it.

Thank you!

Can you give me the information on imagination playground in Manhattan, specifically the location? I googled and found two.

Do I need to make reservations in advance for the Sunset Park pool?

MamaBear

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:16 am
I did it for years and one thing I can tell you is that you need to hang in there. Your kids are still adjusting to the new routine and in a week or so, things will calm down.

I also put the kids in charge of helping me make dinner - it occupies them, it takes forever Wink and it means we all eat more than pasta.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:18 am
ra_mom wrote:
Thank you!

Can you give me the information on imagination playground in Manhattan, specifically the location? I googled and found two.

Do I need to make reservations in advance for the Sunset Park pool?

No reservations, but check the hours because there is a break in middle

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:21 am
Imagination playground- 2 Fulton street ny, ny.

Bring bathing suits

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:22 am
Also free- sony wonders

Head to a different beach everyday, there are so many in the area

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:27 am
We're not up to videos yet Wink
Cookies are a good idea. I try to stay away from sugary treats but I'm sure I can find a recipe I can get comfortable with.
Meanwhile it's arts n crafts time while mommy makes lunch. B"H my kids are not too hard to please in that sense.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:28 am
mommy2b2c wrote:

Bring bathing suits
Thank you!

youngishbear

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:31 am
mommy2b2c wrote:

Bring bathing suits

My kids went in regular clothes. Swim clothes are not required.

ETA: maybe you're referring to the other one. The one we went to didn't have a pool.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:49 am
youngishbear wrote:
My kids went in regular clothes. Swim clothes are not required.

ETA: maybe you're referring to the other one. The one we went to didn't have a pool.

This one doesn't have a pool either. The pool is something else, in sunset park.

Imagination playground is by south street seaport. You don't NEED bathing suits, but why shouldn't the kids wear them? It is a lot more comfortable and fun. I was just giving her a heads up that there is lots of water play at the playground.

I just remembered another awesome trip-
Heckscher playground at Central Park. Amazing climbing structures, water area and sandbox. There are usually people offering face painting or tattoos nearby for $5. My kids enjoyed doing that as well.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 28 2015, 9:49 am
MamaBear wrote:
I did it for years and one thing I can tell you is that you need to hang in there. Your kids are still adjusting to the new routine and in a week or so, things will calm down.

I also put the kids in charge of helping me make dinner - it occupies them, it takes forever Wink and it means we all eat more than pasta.

Ideas for dinners kids can help with, or should I just start a spinoff?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children