Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Have a corner sink? Do you regret it? Many do.
1  2  Next

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:23 am
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks.....r-you

So many disadvantages of corner sinks were mentioned in the comments. Do the pros (more counter space) outweigh the cons (hard to get behind sink to clean and to reach things from cabinets above)?

Also, some people put a "D" shaped sink in corner, and some put a regular rectangular sink in the corner. What are the pros and cons? I want a large deep sink.

I wouldnt have a range near the corner sink, as in photo here. I could see how that would be a problem when someone wants to open the oven door to look in oven and someone else is washing dishes. They couldnt both stand there at the same time. Id have a cooktop and cabinets beside the corner sink.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:28 am
My parents have d shaped sinks in the corners and they're great. One is in front of a widow but the other isn't and no one minds. I wouldn't put it right next to an oven like in the picture, that looks squishy to me especially since the fridge is also so close. You need counter space on the sides of the sinks.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:38 am
mommyhood wrote:
My parents have d shaped sinks in the corners and they're great. One is in front of a widow but the other isn't and no one minds. I wouldn't put it right next to an oven like in the picture, that looks squishy to me especially since the fridge is also so close. You need counter space on the sides of the sinks.

Whats the advantage of "D" sinks over rectangular sinks, if any?

mommyhood

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:41 am
amother wrote:
Whats the advantage of "D" sinks over rectangular sinks, if any?

They have a more expensive type that allows for a higher and lower rack so you can have a pareve rack in each sink. Other than that I don't know that there is much of a difference.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 9:51 am
mommyhood wrote:
They have a more expensive type that allows for a higher and lower rack so you can have a pareve rack in each sink. Other than that I don't know that there is much of a difference.

Is this what you mean, a rack for drying dishes? If yes, you can get this telescoping dish rack for about $20. online and use it for any sink.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:01 am
mommyhood wrote:

I agree with mommyhood.
I have a d corner sink and like it. But oven right there would be a problem for me. Pull out garbage is where the oven is on your picture. And there are more cabinets where the fridge is.
Any way you can rearrange things? Am I to assume the space is small and you don't have a option regarding the corner sink anyway?

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
I agree with mommyhood.
I have a d corner sink and like it. But oven right there would be a problem for me. Pull out garbage is where the oven is on your picture. And there are more cabinets where the fridge is.
Any way you can rearrange things? Am I to assume the space is small and you don't have a option regarding the corner sink anyway?

Thanks but thats not my layout. Id have cabinets on both sides of the sink.

innovative mom

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:17 am
About the upper cabinet, there are options to get a 'v' shaped cabinet with a hinged cabinet door as opposed to the one shown in the picture. Basically, it's a corner cabinet with the same outer (front) dimension as any wall cabinet and the cabinet door is two doors connected with a specific type of hinge which opens up fully for access to the cabinet. It allows for easier maintenance of space in the cabinet because it's not as deep as the standard corner cabinet. And it doesn't protrude which is nice for those working at the sink below it. It also give the kitchen a roomier look, doesn't look so crowded because it doesn't protrude.

momX4

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:28 am
I have seen that the cabinet in the corner has a Lazy Susan installed.

sungood

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 10:37 am
My mother has a sink in the corner and ist great, she also has a dishwasher where the oven is. No dripping from sink to dishwasher

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 12:39 pm
I had a corner sink for over 20 years and hated it. It was impossible to reach behind it to clean the counters and backsplash (okay, I am short, but it was a long reach). I was okay with the cabinet above it which had a lazy susan, but hated the positioning of the sink (it was large, very deep, double bowl sink). I am building a new house now and would not consider doing that again.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 1:45 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I had a corner sink for over 20 years and hated it. It was impossible to reach behind it to clean the counters and backsplash (okay, I am short, but it was a long reach). I was okay with the cabinet above it which had a lazy susan, but hated the positioning of the sink (it was large, very deep, double bowl sink). I am building a new house now and would not consider doing that again.

Is the main disadvantage to you the hard to reach back of the faucet area? Im on the tall side and like the idea that where my sinks are now, will have cabinets without pipes underneath, if the sinks are elsewhere. The advantage of putting the sinks and pipes under the sink (they go wherever sinks go) in corner hard to reach cabinets, seems like a good idea.

mfb

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 1:53 pm
I have a sink in the corner I keep my hot water urn behind it. I love that little kids can't reach the urn when they pull a chair to the counter. Its not even tempting to them.

odchai

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 5:07 pm
I have a corner sink but we planned out exactly how much space I would need with whatever was put next to it. I have a narrow cabinet next the cabinet under the sink and then a dishwasher and on the other side a column of drawers. I remember standing at the area that was going to be the sink and pretending how comfortable it would be to load the dishwasher before anything was installed. I can't understand the way this picture above is set up. It doesn't make much sense at all. I love my cabinet under my sink. I keep bottles of wine and soda there and the deep fryer which gets taken out about once a week and I also have plastic mixing bowls in that cabinet and the dishwasher detergent and the garbage bags in there. I love, love, love my kitchen. If you live in Israel I can give you the name of my interior designer she was amazing!!

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 5:09 pm
mfb wrote:
I have a sink in the corner I keep my hot water urn behind it. I love that little kids can't reach the urn when they pull a chair to the counter. Its not even tempting to them.

Great idea, but neither I nor most adults in my household would be able to reach it there either.

odchai

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 5:10 pm
also I put my faucet in the corner not all the way in the back. and I have an extendable hose attached to the faucet. It's very comfortable. I'm also short so I can't reach anything! But the counters were put in lower for me.

odchai

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 5:13 pm
one more thing...we didn't put in a lazy susan our carpenter showed us the updated version which is a magic corner. We put one in on the other side of the kitchen, and it's very clever.

animeme

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 5:17 pm
You mentioned a cooktop next to the sink instead of an oven. I wouldn't so that. Washing dishes could be complicated with pots on the stove. You need elbow room- literally.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 6:28 pm
animeme wrote:
You mentioned a cooktop next to the sink instead of an oven. I wouldn't so that. Washing dishes could be complicated with pots on the stove. You need elbow room- literally.

Heres an old kitchen with the layout Im considering, and it seems to work for the person who has had it for years.

animeme

Post Sun, Jul 19 2015, 6:43 pm
amother wrote:
Heres an old kitchen with the layout Im considering, and it seems to work for the person who has had it for years.

Gotcha. Having the knob in between the sink and the stove definitely buys you room ,and it's a bit farther than the one in the first picture. I personally would still be nervous (I don't like having a stove so close at my back), but I can see how it could work for others.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen