Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Starting a Community (NY/NJ area)
1  2  Next

lisa.z

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 11:08 am
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this dilemma- I'm looking for the out of town spirit in location that's not too far from family (and possibly jobs) in NY. Out of town benefits I am looking for would include a warm sense of community and belonging, affordable housing etc. It would be great if a group of likeminded individuals got in on this. Since descriptors are always given-we are young early twenties, yeshivish but not ultra anything (internet and movies are okay with us, but no TV or theater etc). How would I go about finding a place? How would I start this up and see if it cane a reality? I'm not looking to move to the middle of nowhere. Somewhere near other communities whose mikvah, schools and groceries we could start off using until began our own...
Thoughts?

ahuva06

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 11:24 am
What about Teaneck or Passaic?

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 12:02 pm
I would love to join you, but I'm looking for the same thing in a chassidish version. Doesn't have to be ultra chassidish, but just chilled. I do want our own schools though, cuz there r major schooling issues all over.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 12:12 pm
You don't have to go far.
If you can get ten or fifteen young families together you can buy houses in Gerritsen Beach which is right near the water, with its own private beach. Houses are under $400k and many are much cheaper. There are many houses for sale.
The current community is mostly Irish/German and they are not welcoming to Jews, Hispanics or African American.
If you can get a large group there, you can run to be on the board of the housing association and get a permit to build a shul.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 12:18 pm
passaic and teaneck are not out of town. they are both large communities. Passaic has grown tremendously in recent years. . We moved from passic to out of town its very different....
op- have you looked in to manalapan?

mille

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 2:47 pm
becca wrote:

It's funny to think of Teaneck as remotely being an "out of town feel", there's something like 15+ different orthodox shuls, you might not really even know your frum neighbors because they all go to different shuls than you! Definitely not a small cozy feeling, and definitely not cheap in any sense of the word!

OP, if you were modern, I'd say look at Linden. It's definitely a smaller community, very tight-knit feel, cheaper housing compared to other parts of Jersey, and it's already established - shul, mikvah, etc. No restaurants but I'm pretty sure Elizabeth has some, which is nearby. (I know it's not a good fit for OP, but maybe it will be for someone else reading this thread!)

Lani22

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 2:56 pm
twin Rivers, nj or maybe springfield, nj sounds like what you are looking for. as for the chasidish woman who posted. there are allot of modern chasidish people moving to staten island....

spring13

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 3:04 pm
You'd probably fit in in Passaic just fine, but it's true that the community is large, and therefore has a different feel than somewhere that's "true" out of town. FWIW, I'm a serious OOT'er, and am managing ok there. Come check it out for a Shabbos maybe?

If you go too much further south, it gets a bit more affordable but the commute to NYC for work gets really bad. Twin Rivers or Manalapan might be good for you (or even me!) in terms of community, but commuting to the city from there is really bedieved. Over an hour each way? Take it from someone who's commuted in a bunch of places, and whose husband has a minimum of 45 minutes each way (usually over an hour) - you don't want to set yourself up for that if you can help it. But if you're more flexible on where you're actually working, then moving further south in NJ is a good idea, in terms of affordability and OOT'ness.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 4:01 pm
spring13- what about your husband? is he a real OOTer, is he ok there? it also depends where you daven.... I've been told that Passaic is in between oot and in town and I think its true. for some pple that is absolutely perfect while for others its b'dieved. I know more then one person who lives there by default-as in best option they can think of near NY but if op would start a community they would consider it.....

ahuva06

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 4:03 pm
becca wrote:

Why did this get a hug?!

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 4:59 pm
Small established like Bayswater or Marine Park?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 5:00 pm
What about Elizabeth. Most young woman cover their hair People are friendly and nice community both in hillside and in Elmora

thedudette

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 5:07 pm
Edison,nj.
Houses 300 and up. Full service small jewish community. Hour commute to city.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 5:32 pm
Sounds great to me!Smile

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 5:48 pm
Does anyone know if it's true that there are a group of people looking to do pretty much what OP described in Nutley, NJ?

pause

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 6:44 pm
Lani22 wrote:
twin Rivers, nj or maybe springfield, nj sounds like what you are looking for. as for the chasidish woman who posted. there are allot of modern chasidish people moving to staten island....
Not modern chassidish, they are regular chassidish. And it's not cheap there, it's cheapER than BP. And they are bussing in all the kids to schools in Brooklyn.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 6:44 pm
I was just thinking about nutley as an option. don't know if pple are actually doing it or not. where ever it is you have the issue of mikvah on shabbos and yom tov, not everyone is ok with that....

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 6:47 pm
Inwood?

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 7:40 pm
amother wrote:
I would love to join you, but I'm looking for the same thing in a chassidish version. Doesn't have to be ultra chassidish, but just chilled. I do want our own schools though, cuz there r major schooling issues all over.

What about Bloomingburg, NY?

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jul 07 2019, 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Aug 12 2015, 7:44 pm
New city, ny. Out of toywn but right by monsey.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating