Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do you have a heter to put on shabbos makeup? How to do it?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you put makeup on Shabbos?
Yes, with a heter. What is it?  
 10%  [ 6 ]
Yes, without a heter.  
 48%  [ 28 ]
No, tried couldnt get a heter  
 41%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 58

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 7:14 pm
sungood wrote:
Silver amother are you chasidish? And the rav said you can use it fully all products they sell? Would you say who the rav was?

Yes we are chassidish. All Reflections Shabbat makeup powder products used as directed by Rabbi Blumenkrantz. He doesn't give out this heter usually. He said this is better than what was being done.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 8:28 pm
I am BY type Chassidish. I asked two Rabbanim about the Shabbos makeup. One was the Skverer Dayan of Lakewood, and the other was a "neutral Chassidish" Dayan in Boro Park. I was told by both that it is not permitted.

For those who do follow Rabbi Blumenkrantz's psak that it may be applied on
Shabbos , be sure to read his guidelines. There are many conditions and instructions thag need to be followed for it to be done in a permissible manner. (Which wouldnt make the hassle worthwhile for me honestly. ..)

Twinster

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:19 pm
amother wrote:
. (Which wouldnt make the hassle worthwhile for me honestly. ..)

And when used according to all the rules, the makeup often ends up looking unnatural, since you can't mix and blend everything.

I use it only when I really need it; and sparingly so you don't see a stark contrast between the colors.

When I have an event on Shabbos (morning), I usually do a full face before Shabbos. I cleanse well, then tone, moisturizer, prime face & eyes, use cream blush and cream shadow, then powder, powder blush (, bronzer) and shadow, waterproof eyeliner and mascara, lip liner, lip stain, lip stick and lip sealer. Then I powder again and use a long-lasting spray. It's a lot, but I only do this when I really need the makeup to last. And it does. I still have some makeup on by Shabbos late afternoon, and if I don't wash them off motzei Shabbos, I still need to scrub my lips and eyes off.

If you can get a heter for just the foundation powder - which should be easier to get, you can apply (long lasting) eye makeup and lipstick before Shabbos, then just use the foundation powder on your face.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:27 pm
Face powder and blush do not need a heter according to halacha as I was taught.

gold21

Post Thu, Aug 13 2015, 9:54 pm
my eyeliner and mascara lasts on shabbos usually
I dont wear a lot of makeup otherwise- blush and lip gloss- they dont last- but I cant say that I really care that much. as long as my mascara and eyeliner are on, I feel OK with it.

cfriedman2

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 12:54 am
What is this long lasting spray??

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 1:29 am
So some of you leave on heavy foundation/concealer for all of shabbos, or even a 3 day yom tov? Doesn't that mess up your skin?

Twinster

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 8:13 am
cfriedman2 wrote:
What is this long lasting spray??

It's a spray you use after applying makeup. It locks the makeup in place and keeps it on for hours.

sungood

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 10:39 am
I use a long lasting spray named "model in a bottle" and I'm not very happy with it. What other sprays are there that might be better?

sungood

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 10:40 am
sungood wrote:
I use a long lasting spray named "model in a bottle" and I'm not very happy with it. What other sprays are there that might be better?

And I paid I think $27 and it's worth nothing.

kollel wife

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 10:54 am
I've never tried to wear makeup on Shabbos - but my lipstick on a weekday only lasts until I eat or drink something.

I once bought something someone recommended, but my lips were so dry I couldn't stand it - what lipstick recommendations do you have that will last - without this problem -

Please be specific with the company and exact product name - or even where you can buy it - thank you very much!!!

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 1:35 pm
Maya wrote:
How did he ensure that?

He said that he contacted the
(only) person selling it and told them that they should not sell it. He got local gedolim in on this too, since then it has not been advertised and he has heard that this person does not sell it any more.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 1:51 pm
amother wrote:
(only) person selling it and told them that they should not sell it. He got local gedolim in on this too, since then it has not been advertised and he has heard that this person does not sell it any more.
There is not only one person selling it. A company would not go through the expense of manufacturing something just so one person can sell it.
I have bought Reflections Shabbat at various different pharmacies and through website.
Plus there are other shabbos companies besides for Relections that I have bought as well.

Maya

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 3:16 pm
amother wrote:

It's 2015. People can get around, out of their own town, to buy whatever they want to. They can purchase everything online and have it shipped, even if they live in the desert or on some remote island. It's laughable that someone would say this problem is "taken care of" because one local seller stopped selling it (or more likely, is just not advertising it...)

Personally I use Bare Minerals powders. They're sold everywhere.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 3:52 pm
Maya wrote:
It's 2015. People can get around, out of their own town, to buy whatever they want to. They can purchase everything online and have it shipped, even if they live in the desert or on some remote island. It's laughable that someone would say this problem is "taken care of" because one local seller stopped selling it (or more likely, is just not advertising it...)

Personally I use Bare Minerals powders. They're sold everywhere.

Don't they contain ingredients that bind to the skin? I'm asking out of curiosity because I was wondering why people don't just use regular powder makeup.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 3:53 pm
sungood wrote:

I like the version sold by sephora better than model in a bottle, but it's not magic either.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 4:41 pm
youngishbear wrote:
I like the version sold by sephora better than model in a bottle, but it's not magic either.

I found one by Skindivia rated better than the model in a bottle, but I thought it was just okay. My preference is for the Mac Fix+ -- I find it works very well.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 4:45 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I found one by Skindivia rated better than the model in a bottle, but I thought it was just okay. My preference is for the Mac Fix+ -- I find it works very well.

The one from Sephora is Urban Decay by Skindinavia. I've never tried the Mac. Thank you for the recomendation!

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Aug 14 2015, 5:43 pm
It's really not so simple with the Shabbos makeup. I bought a lot of a while ago but when I asked my Rav who is very mainstream he wasn't wild about it. Many Rabbanim hold that's it's not okay- everyone really does need to ask a Rav about it. It's definitely preferable to just put on long lasting makeup before hand- although it's much mess confortable!
I bought an isreali brand of lipstick that has a lipstick on one end and a lip lock on the other- it's like plaster! I have to even blot it on Shabbos so pple don't think that I applied it on Shabbos! I'm sure it's full of garbage chemicals so I only use it on Shabbos. It's amazing! It stays on for days! I also have a great foundation from LancĂ´me that really stays on for over 24 hours. But I do sleep on my back and drink through a straw! Sigh- what women do for vanity!

Twinster

Post Sat, Aug 15 2015, 10:35 pm
I use the Mary Kay spray also by Skindinavia. It's lightweight and breathable, not thick like Model in a Bottle (I tried both). Works great
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions