Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
In Between Day Camp/Care
Previous  1  2

What are you doing with your kids this week?
Family vacation  
 14%  [ 4 ]
Bring-your-kid-to-work-week  
 0%  [ 0 ]
In home babysitter  
 11%  [ 3 ]
Relying on friends and family  
 18%  [ 5 ]
Possibly having a nervous breakdown and completely stressing out! :(  
 55%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 27

suzyq

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 9:36 am
runninglate wrote:
Out of curiosity, how much would you be willing to pay for this?

I would pay a very fair price for it. I don't live in Brooklyn though, so I don't know what the going rate for camp is there (I have been paying about $120 a week for camp that offers decent hours, though not really full-time).

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 10:50 am
eva0219 wrote:
I've been sending to Rivka Brody for the past 3 years. She's fantastic. My kids love going there. She's located slightly into Flatbush. There's a handful of Boro Park people that send there. She does 9-4 for $30 a child. You can send till 3:00 for $25.

Is she going to be doing this next week?
Also do you have her number?

runninglate I would pay. I am ready to pay $12 an hour ($400 a week) if that is what it takes if only I had someone. I was about to hire a nanny but she can't start until next week. If I do decide to hire one.
At this point I know that these weeks most of my salary goes to childcare but if that is what it takes to have a job then that is what I have to do.

BH I have a car so location, whilst close to my house would be a luxury, is not a major issue.

Pinkandyellow I agree, there are many young women I know who work full time with kids, once their child reaches school age they cut their hours. The few that don't are a: looked at like WTH?! and b: do not have any childcare help.
I feel like there are no decent jobs here in Brooklyn unless you go full time but if you go full time there is no childcare. Catch 22.

We are a third of the way through, school starts next Friday (really! friday?!)

sky

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 11:11 am
suzyq wrote:
I would pay a very fair price for it. I don't live in Brooklyn though, so I don't know what the going rate for camp is there (I have been paying about $120 a week for camp that offers decent hours, though not really full-time).

Here in between day camps are anywhere between $85 - $180 per week for approx 5 hours per day + 2.5 hours Friday.
I paid a lot more for in between day camps then I did for regular camp. But it was worth it to make my salary.

I find they are hard to reserve in advance. When I needed it this year people only started advertising 1 week before. And you do have to do your research carefully because these aren't organized camps but in people's homes.

bamba

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 11:33 am
Feel for you cc!! Sorry can't help Hug Hug

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 11:36 am
Rivka's number is posted up thread.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 11:46 am
How come none of the camps (esp in NYC) offer these options????
So many parents are paying through their noses to hire babysitters, they would be happier sending to camp, at least they will be occupied!!

Who here runs a camp?? Get on this! You could make a ton of money!! hire 15-16 year olds to be the counselors, have an adult or two around...
I dont get why this isn't a thing?!

My sister told me that where she lives there are a lot of in between camps for ages 3-6 but nothing after that age! How crazy is that?! My sister send her big boys to my mother every year for this week, but its really not easy for her!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 11:56 am
Most schools are readying their buildings and classrooms for school and are not interested in renting out the facilities during this time for some extra money.
Teachers are busy preparing.
Those who are off enjoy the time to be able to get ready for the new year and those who are working are desperate for childcare.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 12:19 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
I would pay anything at this point if there was something...I seriously am losing my mind but I need somewhere - As a kid all we did was make day camps and day cares for any time parents needed. Why are the girls in this part of town so snobby that it is beneath them to babysit or make day camps? (and I am not tlaking for free)

This kind of bothered me. I understand your frustration and need for child care but it is noones responsibility, especially teenagers, to provide that. I never babysat as a teenager (no interest or need for the extra cash) and I don't think it was my duty just because some people needed extra time. Your kids are no one else's responsibility and it's weird to me that you would call girls who want to do their own thing "snobby."

sky

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 12:21 pm
I'm thinking she meant girls with unlimited spending money vs girls who have to earn money for extras.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Aug 26 2015, 1:55 pm
For the last few summers I have actually been sending my son to the local YMCA for summer camp.

Reasons include:
-The summer Jewish camps hrs don't work so well for my schedule, both me and husband work full time and need somewhere with early start times.
- the "Jewish" camp at my son's dayschool is not actually Jewish. Its really run by non Jewish employees from the school. There's no actual Jewish content. They do a lot of field trips, and I'm not comfortable with my child being driven around my someone else on a regular basis. Plus they have been known to use videos to keep kids entertained. I'm not a fan of that.
- don't have to worry about the 2 week care gap
- YMCA has been a great experience. My son gets to do activities he wouldn't during the normal school year: zoo camp, gymnastics, soccer, science camp, space camp, magic camp.... Etc. lots of fun sports and science camps.
- YMCA has been great about kashrut. No issues so far,
- YMCA has no extra charge for early or after care.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:15 am
Powderblue you are right it is not their responsibility.
But their attitude is snobby.

Part of our religion is chesed. Helping. Especially when you have nothing else to do. When you would otherwise lounge in pjs for 6 weeks and watch movies. When you would otherwise blow your parents credit card shopping in Manhattan.
Or say they don't do any of that, say they just have other things to get done, be nice about it.

I can't tell you how many times I have asked girls to watch my kids "I am sorry I don't DO babysitting" "No I can't babysit I can't watch other peoples kids" shock

I have 2 girls that babysit for me, I know one of them prefers if they are sleeping and she is so nice and fine about it I ask her only when my kids are sleeping, the other one doesn't mind either and is better with little kids so worst case I would ask her if they are awake.

Now I don't feel entitled for anyone to watch my kids but these girls are doing nothing, they are going crazy with their time. Would it hurt to make money (and I am talking good, easy money) to play with my kids for 6 hours?
Again, I did it. Where I come from it is the most normal thing. Everyone goes "helping". Many girls even do it for free.

It is an attitude in this community and yes, it is snobby. Sorry if you do not like this.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:16 am
cerulean I was considering that. Thankfully this came up but I might consider the local non jewish day care for next week. Especially if I don't find anything else.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics