Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cheap Dinner Ideas (No Beans)
1  2  Next

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:22 am
I'd post this in the recipe section, but anonymous posting is not allowed there and I am just not gutsy enough to post this super-frugal post under my name. (Roll your eyes, but please just humor me!)

As the school year and yom tov season begins I am, yet again, blindsided by all of the expenses. I work really hard at creating a solid budget and for some reason there are always unforeseen items that pop up, leaving us in a not-so-great place financially.

So, I am looking for ways to cut back. What are your cheapest dinner ideas? No beans allowed, for allergy reasons. Please share! I won't laugh if they are simple, silly or unhealthy, I promise. I just need some help thinking outside the box.

Thanks!

tichellady

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:27 am
Is tofu allowed?

water_bear88

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:29 am
Are lentils allowed? Any allergies other than beans?

CatLady

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:34 am
Breakfast for dinner: Pancakes, French toast, eggs, etc. Always a fave.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:42 am
Noodles (with or without homemade sauce).
Rice (also with or without homemade sauce).
Patatoes (fried, boiled, roasted, mashed, etc).
Sometimes I make pizza (I make the dough).

This is what we eat for dinner during the week, not including beans . It's simple but it's good homemade food. Times are tough...

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 10:42 am
Breakfast for dinner such as pancakes, waffles, eggs, toast. A frittata is great because you don't have to make individual omlettes just cut in wedges and serve. you can make this pareve and its called a spanish tortilla.

Tacos with either a small amount of meat or fish or roasted veggies. I make taco bowls often. I layer rice, beans or lentils, roasted or sauteed veggies and cheese. I saw a tofu recipe for taco meat that I am planning on trying next week.

Soup and fresh bread

Chinese stir fry. I made one last night with eggplant, mushrooms, tofu and brown rice.

If you can have lentils there are lots of options.

I use budgetbytes for inspiration. The prices for meat dishes wont be the same obv but you get a good idea for costs.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 11:42 am
the imamother cookbook has a kasha soup recipe thats yummy. my dd didn't like it though Sad

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 12:10 pm
Are you looking for general ideas or recipes?

As others have posted, you can prepare delicious, healthy and inexpensive meals by either going veggie or by using meat or chicken as a secondary ingredient. Pasta, soups, stews, baked noodle dishes, brown rice casseroles.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 12:31 pm
Eggs right now are not so cheap, and it might be cheaper to take 2 pieces of chicken cut up in a stir fry with some frozen vegetables than a whole dinner's worth of eggs for a family...this is obviously dependent on local prices.

smss

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 12:38 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Eggs right now are not so cheap, and it might be cheaper to take 2 pieces of chicken cut up in a stir fry with some frozen vegetables than a whole dinner's worth of eggs for a family...this is obviously dependent on local prices.

Yeah, what's up with that?! Do prices really change based on season? Never noticed that before but I HAVE noticed that I'm paying much more for eggs now than I was a few months ago...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 12:43 pm
It's due to the avian flu Sad

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 12:46 pm
Even if you don't think you like Tofu :-)

Brown Rice Casserole
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cups Brown rice
1 Package Firm Tofu
1 lg Onion
2 medium carrots
4 celery stalks [I used 4]
1 green pepper
2 medium zucchini or other summer squash
8 ounces mushrooms, wiped clean
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 tablespoon Butter
6 cloves, garlic finely chopped [1 t ground cumin seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup of veggie broth]
6 ounces grated cheese
Pepper
Fresh herbs, for garnish

Directions:

Cook the rice.

SET THE TOFU on a slanted board or pan to drain, and
prepare the vegetables. Chop the onion, carrots, celery, pepper, and
zucchini into pieces about 1/2-inch square. Quarter mushrooms if they are small, and cut them into sixths or eighths if they are large. Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes. Heat the olive oil and the butter and fry the onion over medium heat until it is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, nutritional yeast, if using, cumin and salt. Stir until blended and cook for 1 minute. Add the carrots, celery, green pepper and 1/2 cup of the liquid [I used 1/4 cup], cover pan, and braise the vegetables until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and mushrooms and cook 7 to 10 minutes. The vegetables should be nearly, but not completely, cooked. If the pan gets dry while they cook, add a little more liquid.

Preheat oven to 350F. Combine the vegetables with rice and cheese. Season with salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Gently mix in the tofu, and put mixture into lightly oiled casserole. Add a little more liquid [I didn't add any more liquid] to moisten. Cover with foil and bake 1/2 hour. Remove foil and bake 15 minutes. Garnish with fresh herbs.

Notes:

Here are the few things I do differently:

Most important, I use a tiny fraction of the liquid - maybe 1/4 cup water, tops - and cook all the veggies *much* less time than directed. Those two steps alone will prevent everything from getting mushy. Yuck.

I use more carrots, more celery, more mushrooms, red pepper instead of green, add a yellow squash, 1/4 pound chopped green beans, and pretty much anything in my crisper or vegetable aisle that looks like it wants to join the club. oh, and cheese - more cheese.

This was one of the most popular dishes at Greens Restaurant in San Francisco.

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 12:48 pm
Another Tofu recipe for people who don't like Tofu :-)

Lasagna Rolls
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Eating Well Magazine
Serving Size: 6
Yield: 12 rolls

Summary:

Crumbled tofu replaces the ricotta in our Italian-style vegetarian meal.

Ingredients:

12 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained, rinsed and crumbled
3 cups chopped spinach
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped Kalamata olives
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 25-ounce jar marinara sauce, preferably lower-sodium, divided
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Directions:

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse, return to the pot and cover with cold water until ready to use.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add tofu and spinach and cook, stirring often, until the spinach wilts and the mixture is heated through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; stir in Parmesan, olives, crushed red pepper, salt and 2/3 cup marinara sauce.

Wipe out the pan and spread 1 cup of the remaining marinara sauce in the bottom. To make lasagna rolls, place a noodle on a work surface and spread 1/4 cup of the tofu filling along it. Roll up and place the roll, seam-side down, in the pan. Repeat with the remaining noodles and filling. (The tofu rolls will be tightly packed in the pan). Spoon the remaining marinara sauce over the rolls.

Place the pan over high heat, cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium; let simmer for 3 minutes. Sprinkle the rolls with mozzarella and cook, covered, until the cheese is melted and the rolls are heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve hot.

Notes:

Make Ahead Tip: Freeze the cooked rolls and sauce for up to 1 month.

Nutritional Information:

6 servings, 2 rolls each - Facts Per Serving:
Calories: 354 Fat. Total: 11g Carbohydrates, Total: 46g
Cholesterol: 11mg Sodium: 374mg Protein: 21g
Fiber: 8g % Cal. from Fat: 28% Fat, Saturated: 3g

YoYo

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 2:52 pm
Red Lentil 'stew'
Zucchini, carrot, onion grated and sautéed.
Add water and red lentils. Cook till soft . Salt to taste.
Serve with baked potatoes.

I always make a huge amount and add paprika, garlic powder, more water and bulgar to the leftovers, an egg/ground flax seed and some breadcrumbs if necessary, then shape into patties and bake. These 'Burgers ' freeze really well and then become my cheap instant dinner . My kids gobble them up.

Maya

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 2:58 pm
Is chickpeas an issue? I just came across a recipe for peanut sweet potato stew that I'm very excited to try. Let me know if you want the recipe.

mha3484

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 3:04 pm
We are a small family but even if I make the whole dozen eggs that's still less than $5 dollars for a protein. My local store has a doz eggs for $2.50 last I checked. I guess I'm the only one who cant relate to the egg hysteria on couponing groups etc. I make my 4 year old eggs for breakfast at least 2 or 3 times a week.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 7:30 pm
A dozen eggs may be enough, just barely, for my family, if mixed with milk, etc. Still need starch and veggie. 2 chicken thighs is cheaper than that and can be enough when stretched with vegetables in a stir fry and served over rice (starch) as well.

CatLady

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 7:54 pm
What about braising chicken thighs in marinara sauce, adding zucchini & mushrooms and serving it over pasta for Chicken Cacciatore? Or using a small amount of ground beef to make a taco salad.

If you're going pareve or dairy, a quiche and a salad is a very good meal, as well as awesome lunch leftovers.

Simple1

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 8:08 pm
Pasta with a tomato chopped meat sauce. You can use chicken or turkey if it's cheaper (I don't know prices on these things) and you can use less meat and add some sauted veggies too.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Aug 27 2015, 8:24 pm
Thank you, all!! Do people really stretch 2 chicken thighs to feed their whole family?!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen