Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Beautiful or inappropriate?
1  2  3  Next

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 1:30 pm
Please see pic of mother and children at this link: Photo from Meg Bitton Photography

[Inserted pic changed to link to the pic: photographer Meg Bitton's Facebook page — Rubber Ducky as mod]

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 1:35 pm
Both beauty and appropriateness are subjective.

Personally, I think it's a gorgeous piece of photography. The light balance, composition, subject, are all perfectly done.

Would I hang it in my living room? No. In my bedroom? DH would not be comfortable. In my office, when I'm the only one who goes in? Sure! In an art gallery, most definitely - it would probably win first place. In the waiting room of an OB's office, it would be really lovely.

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 1:38 pm
I like how in way they're actually "covered" yes you see they're naked but you can't see any details.

You can feel the love and bonding in the photo.

mommyla

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 2:14 pm
It's beautiful, but I am always uncomfortable with pictures showing naked children and adults together. I know, family, mother & children, all that jazz, but I don't like it.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 2:19 pm
mommyla wrote:
It's beautiful, but I am always uncomfortable with pictures showing naked children and adults together. I know, family, mother & children, all that jazz, but I don't like it.

That's why art is inherently subjective. What is heart warming to one person can be traumatically triggering to another, and yet another person may find it cloyingly saccarine.

What makes art so wonderful, is that there is no wrong answer. Art is, above all, supposed to make you THINK. I find some of the most "ugly" paintings in the world to be deeply moving and profound, and some of the most beautiful to be completely banal. Everyone views art through the lens of the sum of their life's experience.

Amazing, isn't it?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 2:21 pm
It's a fantastic composition and a beautiful photo.

Laiya

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 2:29 pm
mommyla wrote:

This.

With the newborn, eh, ok whatever, but the other 2 kids are big enough for it to be outside my comfort zone.

Laiya

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 2:32 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Both beauty and appropriateness are subjective.

Personally, I think it's a gorgeous piece of photography. The light balance, composition, subject, are all perfectly done.

Would I hang it in my living room? No. In my bedroom? DH would not be comfortable. In my office, when I'm the only one who goes in? Sure! In an art gallery, most definitely - it would probably win first place. In the waiting room of an OB's office, it would be really lovely.

Thinking more the safety issues. The girl looks about 5 or 6....

You just don't know how or where these photos can end up.

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:01 pm
Totally agree with you FF! very well said.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:10 pm
Laiya wrote:

Really? Would you remove every nude from every gallery in the world?

Anyone can make a sick fixation out of anything. People can be turned on by a woman's shoe. Shall we ban all shoes, in case some sicko gets excited by them?

If you can't tell the difference between a mother loving her children, and purient interest, then I don't know what else to tell you.

To paraphrase: I may disagree with your art, but I will defend to my death your right to create it.

seraphima

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:23 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

To paraphrase: I may disagree with your art, but I will defend to my death your right to create it.

Well said. I don't feel the photo is necessarily inappropriate, but it makes me uncomfortable a bit because of the older nude kids. I am uptight though Smile

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:24 pm
Laiya wrote:

The pervs have the Dark Web, that fills their needs.

lucky14

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:25 pm
Just awkward.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:29 pm
Not my taste because of the older kids.

It is a beautiful photo in terms of composition, lighting, and all other technicals I won't pretend to know about. It would've been so even with some clothes on the older kids.

Beyla

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:46 pm
Interesting that most of the posters (me also) feel awkward because of the little girl who's undressed and not because of the mother.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:51 pm
Beyla wrote:
Interesting that most of the posters (me also) feel awkward because of the little girl who's undressed and not because of the mother.

The mother seems to be wearing something like a sleeveless bodysuit.

Now that I mention it, the girl's hair makes it hard to tell whether she is wearing one too.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:52 pm
For everyone who's freaked out about the little girl - at what age do you stop helping your kids take a bath? Do you feel perverted if you have to wash their hair?

seraphima

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:59 pm
Beyla wrote:

Yeah that's funny. I didn't feel awkward about the mom's "exposure" because I figured that she is of age to give consent.

chavs

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:59 pm
It's not my style, I find naked family photos tend to look a bit awkward and I can imagine that some kids would be uncomfortable with them when they are a bit older as well.
To me it looks as if it's supposed to look really natural and serene but it sort of feels very forced, in that most families don't strip down naked to snuggle up.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 7:01 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
For everyone who's freaked out about the little girl - at what age do you stop helping your kids take a bath? Do you feel perverted if you have to wash their hair?

I wouldn't take a picture of it though.

Reminds me of the boudoir discussion. There's nothing wrong with a couple dressing up for each other, but I would be very embarrassed if certain people would come upon photos of me looking or dressing a certain way.

Here, too, mommy bathing a child or even hugging/cuddling is one thing. Photos of it are just a bit creepy.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art