Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood Girls Schools
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 3:00 pm
byisrael wrote:
I went to Bnos Yaakov , at the time it was good frum families not to yeshivish ( most fathers in my class worked but were solid bnei torah) from14th street area mostly....
Is it still like that?
The academics were pretty good ppl/ used who didn't go there used to say it was high level but I never found them challenging as a student.
this is seven years back that I graduated so it may have changed....
I think it's still like that, but it is considered to be high academics. Perhaps the highest in Lakewood! I grew up in Monsey and Chofetz Chaim is similar to Bnos Yaakov in that. The principals (Mrs. Twersky and Mrs. Zaks) are sisters.

sky

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 3:07 pm
Bnos Yaakov is considered to have high academic standards.

byisrael

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 3:07 pm
oh gosh I just reread my incoherent post...
I remember being given the tools to learn so while the acdemics may have been fairly high, it wasn't high pressure.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 3:09 pm
byisrael wrote:
oh gosh I just reread my incoherent post...
I remember being given the tools to learn so while the acdemics may have been fairly high, it wasn't high pressure.

My DD says her hs classmates from Bnos Yaakov have an awesome relationship with the staff, even after graduation. Some still call the principal and some teachers to say Good Shabbos, or before Yom Tov...it's considered to be an exceptionally warm school.

byisrael

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 3:11 pm
Yup sounds like I
Though Mrs. Schorr was the best and it seems like she left....

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 3:26 pm
byisrael wrote:
Yup sounds like I
Though Mrs. Schorr was the best and it seems like she left....
She's the principal of Bnos Esther Malka. They love her there too!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 3:30 pm
We're super happy in chein bais yakov! I wouldn't classify the parent body as yeshivish, more like "very frum but normal." Like any other school, there is a mix. I am not an alumni, and my dh is working (still learning part-time.) Because the school is small, every student is really appreciated and treated as an individual, its a very warm environment. And the learning is really excellent so far, but my daughter is little, so I can't tell you how the next few years or so will go, but so far so good, b"H.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 3:39 pm
Forest green thank you so much! That's exactly what we are looking for" very frum but normal"

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 3:57 pm
how many schools is one officially supposed to apply to? Tia!

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 4:23 pm
amother wrote:
We're super happy in chein bais yakov! I wouldn't classify the parent body as yeshivish, more like "very frum but normal." Like any other school, there is a mix. I am not an alumni, and my dh is working (still learning part-time.) Because the school is small, every student is really appreciated and treated as an individual, its a very warm environment. And the learning is really excellent so far, but my daughter is little, so I can't tell you how the next few years or so will go, but so far so good, b"H.

When a friend applied to Chein Bais Yaakov, Reb. Ziemba did not accept her because she wanted to accept only families where the father was learning.

When I applied, I was told that we were not yeshivish enough because my husband was working.

We are both alumni.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 5:03 pm
A primary girl on my block who goes to Chein Bais Yaakov her father is working.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 5:07 pm
How about Bnos Brocha?

Also really apply where you can get in. Save yourself the trouble.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 5:24 pm
If we are on this topic ! Was wondering how hard is it for a chassidisha person ( like I am) to get into bnos bina?!

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:
When a friend applied to Chein Bais Yaakov, Reb. Ziemba did not accept her because she wanted to accept only families where the father was learning.

When I applied, I was told that we were not yeshivish enough because my husband was working.

We are both alumni.

I've heard the same from people I know.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 6:02 pm
cnc wrote:
I've heard the same from people I know.

If it is true that she is accepting working families, it could be she is using this as an excuse to say no.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 6:34 pm
Many schools only want learning parents but there are always a few working parents that get in because hey have pull. You might look at the family and say they are so simple doesn't make sense they have pull but usually they do it can be an uncle, brother or distant cousin who wants to do them a favor. Usually pull is from a wealthy donor who calls on your behalf and tells them I want so and so to get in or a person who did the school a favor and that person calls on your behalf.

From my experience when people get in with pull they usually deny it and say it doesn't make sense but we just happened to get in.

Most school have so many applicants that a school won't look at a new applicant without a reason too.

Obviously a newer school has more slots and room to get into faster.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 7:25 pm
What are Bnos Bracha and Ateres Tzipora like? I saw they were suggested in this thread. Ty!

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 7:32 pm
Bnos Bracha is more of an out of town type of school. It's more of a working crowd but very frum normal people not fancy not into names and things like that. Very nice crowd.

Ateres Tziporah is a break off from bnos Rivka and is a more Flatbush type of crowd. There are some not all parents who dont wear socks, or leggings and no socks.

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 8:30 pm
amother wrote:
If it is true that she is accepting working families, it could be she is using this as an excuse to say no.

I do know some working families that are there but she was very hesitant about it and she told it to them directly.

Emotional

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 8:51 pm
amother wrote:

We are both alumni.

I didn't go to BY of 18th Avenue, but I was a neighbor of Rebbetzin Ziemba growing up, and I often babysat for her kids. I have trouble believing that she has such a narrow-minded shittah. She herself is married to a real estate lawyer. She's a warm friendly person who doesn't judge or look down on people. Please.
I'm sure that was the excuse she gave for not accepting your friend, maybe because the real reason would have hurt your friend's feelings.
Page 2 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics