Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
A horrifying case of child abuse..."natural" parenting
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Feb 23 2016, 11:56 pm
This is a very old thread, and I am not agreeing that the mother did the right thing here, but it's not "luck" that her kids survived. Death is actually extremely, extremely rare from the whooping cough, especially in the ages of her children.

markmywords

Post Wed, Feb 24 2016, 12:53 am
A child under a year??
She spoke of her children (baby included) turning blue.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Feb 24 2016, 3:41 am
I didn't read this whole thread but when my now 25 year old was an infant baby caught whooping cough from my neice.
I think my sister was neglectful and didn't immunize her daughter on time and my daughter caught it b4 her scheduled immunization. It was so frightening. It lasted for months and she'd wake up at night sounding as if she was going to vomit.

This naturopath sounds like a kook. Sounds like she was doing this to prove to HERSELF that she was the ultimate healer! What an idiot.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 24 2016, 9:34 am
Yes, a child under a year is extremely unlikely to die from the whooping cough. It's most dangerous for tiny infants, and even then the death rate is not nearly as high as the survival rate! After 6 months, it's even less dangerous. I've seen babies turn blue from coughing in the presence of medical providers (doctors and nurses), and their reaction is to just watch at first and make sure the baby can regain coloring fast and the cyanosis is very short. They don't always rush to do anything about it. Yes, it's scary, and no, I don't wish it on anyone, and it must be dealt with with proper medical guidance, but cyanosis alone is not what determines how a baby will survive.

To the khaki amother, pertussis is actually spread at a high rate by vaccinated individuals. They many times don't even realize they are carriers. Please don't blame your sister.

kollel wife

Post Wed, Feb 24 2016, 10:58 am
When we go to the doctor and they do something that "hurts" the child - like a shot, taking blood etc, we stoically let them do it, because it's to the child's benefit in the long run. It sounds like she's convinced herself that to "benefit their immune system" in the long run, they should suffer in the short term - the illness. It was hard, but she did it, because she wants what's best for them, as a mother. We all have the feelings like this. How do we explain then what was wrong with what she did. A lack of questioning of her own knowledge? Lack of motherly love that would make her question herself?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Feb 24 2016, 12:28 pm
My main issue is that once she was convinced her baby was going to get it, she should have sought antibiotics which are effective if given early enough. I am far from an antibiotic pusher, but there are times they are warranted.
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics