Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Question for mothers who DONT give flu shot
1  2  Next

wonderwoman101

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 1:39 pm
I am not looking to start a whole debate on vaccines or flu shots so if you are reading this post and plan to give a mouthful - please close out this post.
I give my kids all vaccines except flu shot simply because I just dont believe in it. unfortunately, the dept of health is requiring it for all children in daycares from age 6 months till 5 yrs. I know this has already been a requirement in nj for a while.
so my question is - how to get my child out of it? the religious excuse is not acceptable anymore unless your child doesnt get any vaccines at all and the egg allergy also isnt accepted anymore.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 1:41 pm
I don't give it, but just because I think it's useless.
If it was mandated, I wouldn't go crazy to get an exception and would just go with it.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 2:08 pm
wonderwoman101 wrote:
I am not looking to start a whole debate on vaccines or flu shots so if you are reading this post and plan to give a mouthful - please close out this post.
I give my kids all vaccines except flu shot simply because I just dont believe in it. unfortunately, the dept of health is requiring it for all children in daycares from age 6 months till 5 yrs. I know this has already been a requirement in nj for a while.
so my question is - how to get my child out of it? the religious excuse is not acceptable anymore unless your child doesnt get any vaccines at all and the egg allergy also isnt accepted anymore.

Last year I did not give it to any of my children, and no one actually followed up with me when I never sent in proof of giving it. ( I had 2 children under age 5 in two different schools.)
This year, only one child is required to get it. The school first said that I can write a letter stating that I don't vaccinate, but then I pointed out that I most definitely do so this will not be accepted. She said that I am correct, and my doctor should write a letter stating my reasoning as to why I don't give the flu vaccine. (My reasoning is that it has such a low effective rate that I don't feel it pays.) I do plan on waiting it out until the end of December and seeing what the effectiveness is at that point, and then will make my decision as to whether or not I will vaccinate.

seeker

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 8:14 pm
Right now we're stalled even without meaning to because DD has been sick on and off. But I have the same concern. I was wondering what would happen if we just stalled - "Oh that - yeah we didn't get around to it yet, I'll have to make an appointment..." and just not do it. We have all the major vaccinations already and I do understand that flu can be serious, but this mass vax campaign makes me nervous, and I have reason to believe my kids may be sensitive to these things (other immune system irregularities)

anonymrs

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 9:00 pm
Last year, I just didn't give. Every time they called/sent home a reminder I was just like oh yes, I have to do it....and then I never did it. But no one said anything to me about it. I'm planning to try that again, we'll see how it goes.

wonderwoman101

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 10:57 pm
last year in NY they tried to make it mandatory but it didnt work out so thats why you were able to get away with that. this year its for sure mandatory

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Nov 16 2015, 11:04 pm
wonderwoman101 wrote:
last year in NY they tried to make it mandatory but it didnt work out so thats why you were able to get away with that. this year its for sure mandatory

Mandatory as in what?
Vaccines are never mandatory.
They are required for schools, but private schools have the option of letting you in without them.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:19 am
No the private schools require it too. I would also love to hear how to get around the flu shot. Can't believe they actually made it mandatory.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 2:25 am
On a different thread someone said it's only mandatory in preschools. I have not fact-checked this but if that is true that should mean it shouldn't be too hard to just try to fly under the radar until you hit school age. But I don't know if it's true.

Rosemarie

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:24 am
My friend did that last year, her kids were constantly not feeling well so she never go to giving the shot and the school made her crazy about it. I think it might have been a headstart class, but maybe it was just preschool on general. This year they told her very early on that the requirement is much stricter and they will be getting a $2000 fine for children without the flu vaccine and they will pass that on fully to her if she doesn't give it. She can't afford an extra 2k so she gave it right away to her preschooler.

gold21

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:42 am
It's crazy that they are requiring a shot that has such a low rate of effectiveness. Are they really concerned about the children's health- the flu shot has been pretty much ineffective many times- and during flu seasons where it is effective, it's only partially effective. Is this some pointless regulation, making money for the FDA or something?

I have not give the flu shot in the past, because of its low rate of effectiveness. Seems pointless.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:47 am
amother wrote:
Mandatory as in what?
They are required for schools, but private schools have the option of letting you in without them.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/do.....q.pdf

According to this, which is the CITY site, NOT the state, the facility will be issued a notice of violation (what is that?) if there are unvaccinated children there. The facilities need to keep records, and I guess the city can, at any point, come and check.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:49 am
seeker wrote:
On a different thread someone said it's only mandatory in preschools. I have not fact-checked this but if that is true that should mean it shouldn't be too hard to just try to fly under the radar until you hit school age. But I don't know if it's true.

It is mandatory for children between 6 months- 5 years old who attend a city program. Check the link I posted, the info is there.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:53 am
I just had my child exempted from the flu shot from the state of NJ using the religious exemption. I do give all other vaccinations. I just wrote a letter requesting a religious exemption from the flu shot , and it was granted right away.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 9:58 am
amother wrote:
I just had my child exempted from the flu shot from the state of NJ using the religious exemption. I do give all other vaccinations. I just wrote a letter requesting a religious exemption from the flu shot , and it was granted right away.

I've never tried, but I junk it's very hard to get a religious exemption in NY. Also wouldn't that then apply to all vaccines? Isn't a religious exemption all or nothing?

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:00 am
eema of 3 wrote:
I've never tried, but I junk it's very hard to get a religious exemption in NY. Also wouldn't that then apply to all vaccines? Isn't a religious exemption all or nothing?

You'd think so, but they never asked for any explanation. My letter was literally two sentences and they accepted it without question.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 11:47 am
eema of 3 wrote:

My school told me that all I need to do is write a note stating that I dont give the shot, and both parents need to sign. I do not need to give details. (I think it's actually up to the school as to whether or not they accept it. )

HOWEVER since I DO give all other vaccines, such a note will not be accepted.
I confirmed this.

My son is in a UPK class in a private school.
Their UPK keeps on having inspections as they're new so most likely the school will really enforce it. Crying

Orchid

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 11:48 am
amother wrote:
Mandatory as in what?

Vaccines are mandatory if the school policy states they are mandatory.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 11:54 am
Orchid wrote:
Vaccines are mandatory if the school policy states they are mandatory.

I vaccinate but was trying to understand what that poster wrote.
She said that last year vaccinating in New Jersey was mandatory, making it sound like it became a law. That is inaccurate. ...a state doesn't make a vaccination mandatory.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
I vaccinate but was trying to understand what that poster wrote.
She said that last year vaccinating in New Jersey was mandatory, making it sound like it became a law. That is inaccurate. ...a state doesn't make a vaccination mandatory.

Actually a state can make almost anything a law and if it conflicts with federal law or interferes with interstate commerce or other constitutional provisions etc then it can be brought to a federal court, as far as I understand it. Sometimes it can conflict with federal law but the Feds don't push the issue like with legalizing pot in Colorado. Technically the DEA can do a sweep and charge those in possession with a federal crime but they don't have the resources or inclination to do it (plus will anger a whole lot of voters....).
Case in point- California passed a law after the Measles issue last year to force certain vaccinations barring personal medical contraindications (like chemotherapy treatment, immune system disorders/issues or personal history of reaction/allergy). They got rid of the personal beliefs exemption. Not all vaccines were mandatory (HPV wasn't on the list). It is being phased in, so not everyone must be caught up now but by the time a child reaches certain grades they will do a vaccine check and if non compliant the child won't be allowed back unless they have it. All incoming students need to be caught up too (even if entering a non-check grade). It applies to private schools too.

Edited to add that I read an article and it also says the law removes the religious exemption too.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics