Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Seeking guidance
1  2  Next

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:37 pm
My dh was diagnosed with spd and I'm having him evaluated for auditory processing disorder as well (although his appointment
isnt for anot her month). He's in 3rd grade and is seriously struggling in limudei kodesh. Although he reads accurately, he is very slow in keriah. He struggles to daven, and can barely get through brachos and I feel like he isn't getting any of the chumush. I don't even bother with cha Zora any more , since it doesn't seem to do any good and just causes stress for both of us. I have him working with a Tudor twice a week but I feel like I'm wasting my money. He is spacey and can't seem to follow directions at home as well. He clearly has some issues and I want to find where his issues are stemming from so I can properly help him. I'm looking for the right professional to evaluate him. Anyone know where to go for a comprehensive eval. I don't want someone to do a quick assessment and label him add. There areally so many things that can mimic add and I want someone who can differentiate between them. What kind of professional should I be taking him to. Any suggestion, advice or chizuk would be appreiated. I'm not sure what my next step should be.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:40 pm
Oops. That should say ds , not dh, in my post

Last edited by amother on Tue, Nov 17 2015, 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 2:50 pm
frumama wrote:
Oops. That should say ds , not dh, in my post

You just posted under your screen name. If you want, you can go back and edit to make it amother.

Good luck with DS, I wish I had some answers!

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 3:04 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
You just posted under your screen name. If you want, you can go back and edit to make it amother.

Good luck with DS, I wish I had some answers!

And you just quoted her s/n.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:
My dh was diagnosed with spd and I'm having him evaluated for auditory processing disorder as well (although his appointment
isnt for anot her month). He's in 3rd grade and is seriously struggling in limudei kodesh. Although he reads accurately, he is very slow in keriah. He struggles to daven, and can barely get through brachos and I feel like he isn't getting any of the chumush. I don't even bother with cha Zora any more , since it doesn't seem to do any good and just causes stress for both of us. I have him working with a Tudor twice a week but I feel like I'm wasting my money. He is spacey and can't seem to follow directions at home as well. He clearly has some issues and I want to find where his issues are stemming from so I can properly help him. I'm looking for the right professional to evaluate him. Anyone know where to go for a comprehensive eval. I don't want someone to do a quick assessment and label him add. There areally so many things that can mimic add and I want someone who can differentiate between them. What kind of professional should I be taking him to. Any suggestion, advice or chizuk would be appreiated. I'm not sure what my next step should be.

Slightly confused, if he has already been diagnosed with SPD then you already know where is issues are stemming from (could be more going on but for starters SPD can definitely cause the problems you mention.) Get him to an OT who has expertise in this area (they all say they do nowadays; look for a better recommendation if you can... maybe share your location and someone might have a suggestion) and follow up with any suggestions they give you for home. Read some books about SPD to help you understand more and give you some ideas of how to treat. Out of sync child is classic and good, but there are others too if that doesn't speak to you. The APD eval is also a good idea, but you've scheduled that already so not sure what more you want anyone to say here.

If you PM me I will tell you about some specific ideas that can help a kid with these issues, but the key word is HELP - they won't fix it, you need a qualified OT to really work with you.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 5:01 pm
I had him in OT for a while, byt his difficulties seem to be getting worse this year at school.

imasinger

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 5:03 pm
You might benefit from a full neuropsych exam, or full evaluation from a developmental pediatrician. It can take a while on a waiting list,but should give you the answers you need.

energy booster

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 5:37 pm
What's the child's first language?

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 5:38 pm
English

energy booster

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 5:46 pm
Heard of Shaindy Zimmerman? Or faigi Rosenberg?

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 5:47 pm
Ah, didn't realize you were already working with an OT. Still, all OTs are not created equal. Did you have follow-up sensory strategies for home and school?

How's his English reading?

Between the SPD, slow reading, spaciness, and not following directions, I think you are right on the mark getting him evaluated for APD. It fits the symptoms pretty exactly.

I also think you are making the right decision on skipping chazorah for now. It is really really hard on a kid's self-esteem when they struggle in this way. Do what you can to prevent him from developing a negative relationship with davening and learning. Appreciate and compliment (sincerely) whatever davening he does and never ever make him think it's not enough.

I am a fast forWord provider and would be happy to help in any way. fast forWord is a computerized therapy tool that treats auditory processing disorders and slow/laborious reading. Even without an APD diagnosis, the symptoms are a pretty good indication for this.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 17 2015, 6:13 pm
imasinger wrote:
You might benefit from a full neuropsych exam, or full evaluation from a developmental pediatrician. It can take a while on a waiting list,but should give you the answers you need.
[quote]

Thanks. I was thinking about that. It's so difficult to get an appointment and takes so long. It's something I'm gonna have to do I think. I'm wondering if there is anything more to do or anoth r alternative that won't waste half the year.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 11:14 am
Thank you seeker for the above advice and chizuk. He actually really enjoys reading in english, maybe because he understands and enjoys the content. He reads a lot so I'm not so concerned about english. I'm aware of fast forward, I just want to confirm he has apd. If the eval shows he doesnt have apd, is fast for ward still helpful for his syptoms?

e1234

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 1:06 pm
I would also get a full evaluation. My dh is an ADHD coach and he has seen kids turn around when treated properly for ADD (I"m not saying your ds is - just that you should test for it properly)
I know a child who couldn't read and had such trouble and because ADD was in the family they decided to get her evaluated to see if she was ADD. With treatment and ritalin and she was suddenly able to read. The teacher couldn't figure out what happened.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 1:53 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you seeker for the above advice and chizuk. He actually really enjoys reading in english, maybe because he understands and enjoys the content. He reads a lot so I'm not so concerned about english. I'm aware of fast forward, I just want to confirm he has apd. If the eval shows he doesnt have apd, is fast for ward still helpful for his syptoms?

Harder to say. for APD it's an easy ABSOLUTELY YES but without APD it depends, there are other methods that may be equally or more advisable. If no APD diagnosis but many symptoms and reading/fluency difficulty, it could still be a good fit. But if the symptoms are due to *untreated* ADHD or sensory issues, you are not likely to get the dramatic results. If the other issues are treated but still need help to get to the performance you want, then there's more to talk about. I just hate when people think something like this *alone* can cure ADHD without meds. It's a much more individual and nuanced decision in these cases, whereas with APD I wouldn't even bother asking further, that would be enough of an indication for me to go ahead.

One fairly easy screening you can do: compare child's performance in quiet vs noisy environment. If they are equally distracted in both, more likely ADHD. If they work better in the quiet environment, more likely APD involvement. This is not a diagnostic, just a good amateur detective strategy. Note that quiet environment after being exposed to noise all day may not be helpful because they are already all maxed out.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:07 pm
energy booster wrote:
Heard of Shaindy Zimmerman? Or faigi Rosenberg?
[quote

No. Whats their specilty.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:13 pm
Is a developmental pediatrician the only way to get a proper diagnosis for add. Im not convinced that's his problem and I'm trying to explore every Avenue to get the right dx to best help him. I don't want someone who's quick to label add, but if that really is the source of his problem, I Want to know it was diagnos ed properly.

energy booster

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:29 pm
amother wrote:
[quote

No. Whats their specilty.

I thought you might benefit from doing a full psychological and educational evaluation. All these disorders have similar symptoms and many times an emotional blockage can look like a disability. These evaluations are usually divided in a few sessions. It is impossible to figure out in one session. I know about a kid that was diagnosed with a certain disorder because that child showed signs of that in the beginning of the session. Happens to be that the diagnosis was wrong. So if someone says "I right away saw that this is the issue" do not accept it. Make sure that all others are ruled out. If you want phone #'s let me know.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:35 pm
Energybooster, do you have personal or professional experience using either of the 2

energy booster

Post Wed, Nov 18 2015, 10:42 pm
Do you want to pm me? I don't want to answer this question here.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)