Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Wwyd if you DC (18 months) came home from playgroup bitten?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 10:30 pm
on more days than not?
by the same child?
wwyd?

boymom

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 10:34 pm
I would definitely tell the teacher to make sure she's aware of it. the teacher's duty is to talk to the biter's mom about it and come up with some behavioral plan for it. very often biting is part of a bigger problem.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 10:40 pm
teacher knows. she sees the biting and stops as soon as she sees it, sometimes too late though. the mom is on board with the teacher.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 10:44 pm
This is NOT ok
The bitter should not be alowed to come back until this is resolved. Being on board us not good enough
Is it only your child being bitten?

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 10:44 pm
ok ill just say it as it is! my DC is the one who bites!
usually bites one particular child, who takes away all her toys
teacher says that child is much worse behaved than mine, mine bites because shes mad
that kids mom called teacher yelling that she MUST do something but im trying
I called my ped, who said its age appropriate, just be firm with her
I am firm. she hardly bites at home. teacher puts her into her pac and play when she bites
I feel so guilty and im at my wits end of what to do

smss

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 10:47 pm
How many kids are in the playgroup?
I'm not sure what to say. Biting is age-appropriate for an 18 month old. Which doesn't mean you don't deal with it, but that's a long teaching process and isn't going to change overnight. If there are too many kids for the teacher to prevent it from happening in the moment, I'm not sure what you can do except change your childcare arrangements.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
ok ill just say it as it is! my DC is the one who bites!
usually bites one particular child, who takes away all her toys
teacher says that child is much worse behaved than mine, mine bites because shes mad
that kids mom called teacher yelling that she MUST do something but im trying
I called my ped, who said its age appropriate, just be firm with her
I am firm. she hardly bites at home. teacher puts her into her pac and play when she bites
I feel so guilty and im at my wits end of what to do

Could have written your post! Just today, was asking how my son behaves and the teaches mentioned that he bit 2 kids today embarrassed
Honestly, I don't think there's much I can do. My son is 18 months old, has lots and lots of energy, and doesn't know how to share. I am firm with him, but there is only so much he is capable of learning.
I feel sorry for the moms whose children get bitten, but just be mindful that the tables could have been turned.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 10:59 pm
Now the story has a diff. twist. Its still not ok. Your child though is comunicating in the only language she know how to stop the 'bothering' child. Good idea to speek to pediatrition. What do they suggest. I stll say you have to do what ever you can to stop it. My sil had a child that bit and made her bite into a raw onion every time she bit someone. It worked after afew 'bites'

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:00 pm
[quote="amother"]
I feel sorry for the moms whose children get bitten, but just be mindful that the tables could have been turned.[/quote

yes but the mom who called the teacher fuming isnt looking at it that way. shes saying some horrible mother isnt taking care of her kids biting habit. shes not looking at it that her kid couldve had the same habit, it has nothing to do with her being a good parent or me being a bad one. she sees it otherwise
her kid always takes away my kids toys, which gets my kid upset & bites. im not saying my child is right, just explaining. I know its terrible, but it is pretty age appropriate. and discipline is doing just a drop to help

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:03 pm
amother wrote:
Now the story has a diff. twist. Its still not ok. Your child though is comunicating in the only language she know how to stop the 'bothering' child. Good idea to speek to pediatrition. What do they suggest. I stll say you have to do what ever you can to stop it. My sil had a child that bit and made her bite into a raw onion every time she bit someone. It worked after afew 'bites'

awhile ago tecaher asked me if she can put cocoa in her mouth every time. I told her its fine with me, but seems like she never tried it. they want to maybe evaluate her to get speech therapy, just because she can be taught to say stop or s/t instead of biting. she talks pretty nicely for her age. not major, but pretty well. maybe ill try this way. im feeling really guilty

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:06 pm
amother wrote:
awhile ago tecaher asked me if she can put cocoa in her mouth every time. I told her its fine with me, but seems like she never tried it. they want to maybe evaluate her to get speech therapy, just because she can be taught to say stop or s/t instead of biting. she talks pretty nicely for her age. not major, but pretty well. maybe ill try this way. im feeling really guilty

A child of this age can choke from cocoa powder in their mouth.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:09 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
A child of this age can choke from cocoa powder in their mouth.

she told me shed put like 2 grains of cocoa in. but thanks for the warning!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:11 pm
If its happening for a while already the 'toy grabber' should have learnt not to start up with your child by now
Maybe speech and language can help your child. What about the other child . She doent sound so inoscent her self. Maybe she can also benifit from therapy

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:11 pm
Seems like the teacher needs to be more on top of both of these kids to try to prevent these incidents. If it's the same 2 kids all the time they should be able to keep them apart most of the time and watch them carefully when not. As someone above said, if there are too many kids for the teachers to pay that much attention to them, that's an issue on its own.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:13 pm
amother wrote:
she told me shed put like 2 grains of cocoa in. but thanks for the warning!

Can you pick up a couple of 'grains' of cocoa? I can't.

Aversion therapy doesn't teach the child the proper way to express their anger, frustrations or emotions. Shouldn't communication be your concern?

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:16 pm
I agree goldenrod
but this other child is just taking away my childs toys (teacher says mine is overall much more well-behaved than this one) but shes not hurting my child so I dont think its my business to suggest anything for the other child
seeker, its a daycare. theres 2 teachers for 12 kids. I dont think id find better than 1:6 ratio anywhere

yogabird

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:17 pm
What about covering child's mouth for a count of ten or twenty every time he bites?

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:19 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Can you pick up a couple of 'grains' of cocoa? I can't.

Aversion therapy doesn't teach the child the proper way to express their anger, frustrations or emotions. Shouldn't communication be your concern?

well, that would be taught as you are using your mouth for something bad, now take something in your mouth thats bad-tasting. I honestly dont know if shed ever get that. I am going to have her evaluated for speech, but I just dont know if that would help either. but I guess it cant hurt to try

smss

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
I agree goldenrod
but this other child is just taking away my childs toys (teacher says mine is overall much more well-behaved than this one) but shes not hurting my child so I dont think its my business to suggest anything for the other child
seeker, its a daycare. theres 2 teachers for 12 kids. I dont think id find better than 1:6 ratio anywhere

That's absolutely ridiculous for 18-month-olds. shock
If you really can't find a better daycare, keep her home with a private babysitter.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jan 04 2016, 11:25 pm
smss wrote:
That's absolutely ridiculous for 18-month-olds. shock
If you really can't find a better daycare, keep her home with a private babysitter.

wow! 1st of all, where do you live? where I live, a 1:6 ratio is the norm for that age
2nd of all, my DC is very social, has tons of fun by her morah & with all her friends-yes shes friends with everyone at her playgroup, I guess besides that 1 kid, and shed be miserable home alone with just 1 adult
3rd of all, I wish I could afford a private babysitter!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics