Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Friday night food
1  2  Next

momofone613

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 5:24 am
Usually Friday night I make very simple, one course meals. But Im having a guest Friday night this week. Im making chicken soup, but im not sure what else to make.

Any ideas? Im really looking for something that doesn't have meet in it (since meat is expensive here and already hav chicken in the soup...)

TIA! Smile

chouli

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 5:34 am
By us for Friday night in colder weather is chicken broth with kneidels, and then some kind of chicken with a side and rice. Or meatballs with sauce.

shevi82

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 5:56 am
What about Fish?
We have Fish for the first course (before the soup) with dips and salads.

momofone613

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 6:00 am
shevi82 wrote:
What about Fish?
We have Fish for the first course (before the soup) with dips and salads.

Its a good idea, thanks! And do you have anything after soup?

cuffs

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 6:06 am
How about after the soup cooks for about and hour + take out the chicken and make a separate dish with it.
Balabusta choice 2 cookbook has many recipes for that kind of chicken.
So you can have the soup
Then the main can be the chicken
Rice
A kugel
Veggies or salad
Dessert can be fruit or cake and tea

shevi82

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 6:09 am
I make roasted chicken, sauteed veggies and rice. But I really make it knowing I will have leftovers which I use, because not everyone eats.

sped

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 7:47 am
cuffs wrote:
How about after the soup cooks for about and hour + take out the chicken and make a separate dish with it.
Balabusta choice 2 cookbook has many recipes for that kind of chicken.
So you can have the soup
Then the main can be the chicken
Rice
A kugel
Veggies or salad
Dessert can be fruit or cake and tea

Can you post some easy, cheaper ideas. I would love something like that too.

Maryann

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 8:47 am
I make for first course salmon dips salad, then soup then chicken and rice
Good luck!

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 8:56 am
We do challah, maybe one or two dips, fish, soup.
Some weeks I take the chicken out I the soup, season it with whatever spices I'm in the mood for, and stick under the broiler quickly just to brown it a bit to use as main course.
Then rice or farfel or a kugel. Veggie side.
Maybe dessert.

momofone613

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 9:38 am
Thanks for all the great ideas! Very Happy

cbg

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 9:52 am
This is what I would do.

Fish
Crudette platter with chummus ( make it yourself much cheaper)
If you are serving soup you don't need more salads

Soup, remove the chicken for the main course, add lots of veggies, what ever you have on hand.

Chicken from the soup, just add a little honey and mustard (or any other sauce of your liking) and broil it a few minutes to give the chicken a little color
Rice or another starch of your choice, but rice is very easy
Vegg, I like stringbeans, lightly cooked so they still have crunch and are bright green. I blanch them and then sauté them in a little olive oil with salt and dehydrated onion flakes (I don't use soup mixes,MSG)

Dessert
Home made brownies (my kids make it from the box mix)
Cut fruit
Coffee tea

The cost is significantly more than just the one course, but what you spend on Shabbat, doesn't come from your income.
At least I believe that.
I don't believe in over spending, but I don't budget out my Shabbat
Simple but elegant.

sleepybeauty

Post Wed, Mar 02 2016, 10:37 am
cuffs wrote:

That's so smart! I would recommend cooking it longer so you can get as much chicken flavor in the soup as possible.

You can make chicken salad, chicken pot pie, egg rolls, shredded chicken sautéed with barbecue sauce, chicken fried rice...

sped

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 2:49 am
sleepybeauty wrote:
That's so smart! I would recommend cooking it longer so you can get as much chicken flavor in the soup as possible.

You can make chicken salad, chicken pot pie, egg rolls, shredded chicken sautéed with barbecue sauce, chicken fried rice...

Can you please be more specific as to how to prepare these?
Thank you.

Ms.MaryMack(inblack)

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 4:07 am
IMO For guests you need to serve more than soup.

I serve Challah
Lots of different dips
Gefite Fish
Soup with veggies
Chicken
Hot Veggie
Salad
Savory Starchy KUgal (usually potato)
Sweet Kugal
Dessert

If Im having more than 2 guests I add either some meat, deli roll, or chicken nuggets and another starch

The $ you spend on Shabbos food is free. Don't worry about it Ha-shem will pay it back to you somehow.

chani8

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 4:26 am
I wouldn't change the soup as your main course. Just tell your guest that is the menu. IOW, warn them. Wink

I would add a salad course.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 5:02 am
I would make a vegetable soup and roast the chicken. Or just use the bones and wings from the chicken for the soup, roast the rest. You could also debone all the chicken so you are left with boneless thighs and breasts and use the bones for the soup. You could make a stir fry, chicken pot pie, breaded fried chicken nuggets with a sauce, chicken marsala, etc.

I'm not a big fan of chicken that has been boiled for a couple of hours. I might serve it to family, but not guests. I've certainly never been served that as a guest.

I would serve: gefilta fish, salad, 2 or 3 dips, challa. (you can plate this before the meal except for the dips and challa) Veg soup. (carrot, squash, whatever is cheap and you like) Chicken, rice or potatoes or orzo, a vegetable dish, maybe a kugel.

A simple dessert. choc cake, some fresh fruit.

You could totally skip the soup if you want. I rarely serve soup, and if I do, I skip the fish course.

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 5:06 am
here is a chicken pot pie recipe.

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chic.....-pie/

etky

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 5:08 am
Raisin wrote:
I would make a vegetable soup and roast the chicken. Or just use the bones and wings from the chicken for the soup, roast the rest. You could also debone all the chicken so you are left with boneless thighs and breasts and use the bones for the soup. You could make a stir fry, chicken pot pie, breaded fried chicken nuggets with a sauce, chicken marsala, etc.

I'm not a big fan of chicken that has been boiled for a couple of hours. I might serve it to family, but not guests. I've certainly never been served that as a guest.

I would serve: gefilta fish, salad, 2 or 3 dips, challa. (you can plate this before the meal except for the dips and challa) Veg soup. (carrot, squash, whatever is cheap and you like) Chicken, rice or potatoes or orzo, a vegetable dish, maybe a kugel.

A simple dessert. choc cake, some fresh fruit.

You could totally skip the soup if you want. I rarely serve soup, and if I do, I skip the fish course.

This.
I also don't think you need both fish and soup, especially if you are having dips with the challah too. How much can one eat? I'm sometimes comfortably full after just challah (no dips) and soup and have to struggle to find room for the main course (dessert is never a struggle though ...).

Moonlight

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 5:14 am
I also love the idea of reusing the boiled chicken! Never did that and it always ends up in the garbge

Raisin

Post Thu, Mar 03 2016, 5:18 am
etky wrote:
This.
I also don't think you need both fish and soup, especially if you are having dips with the challah too. How much can one eat? I'm sometimes comfortably full after just challah (no dips) and soup and have to struggle to find room for the main course (dessert is never a struggle though ...).

I also never serve both fish and soup. However some people are makpid to eat fish on shabbos, others like hot soup on a cold winters night. A small portion of veg soup is not as filling as chicken soup with knaidlich and croutons which I find fills everyone up really quickly.

If you plate the fish and salad that's also automatic portion control.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus