Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Baby failed hearing test
Previous  1  2

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 12:06 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you so much for writing that to me. I am definitely feeling that despair you felt then. Stupid question but does implanted mean has hearing aids?

Depending on the type of hearing loss, cochlear implants are sometimes an option. The technology is amazing, and getting better every day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....plant

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 12:12 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Depending on the type of hearing loss, cochlear implants are sometimes an option. The technology is amazing, and getting better every day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....plant

The audiologist said she doesn't think he needs cochlear implants since that is more for profound hearing loss which he Bh doesn't have.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 12:54 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you so much for writing that to me. I am definitely feeling that despair you felt then. Stupid question but does implanted mean has hearing aids?

My child started with hearing aids in both ears and now has a cochlear implant on one side. There are many pros and cons to the implant, your audiologist will for through it all with you, and I'm open to answering questions based on our experience.

Sidenote, I was completely unfamiliar with hearing aids, implants, everything- didn't know the difference, didn't know what an implant looked like (for a short time, I thought the implant was completely on the inside and that no one would have to know she has it!). The first audiologist we went to didn't mention any of these options to me. She said, and I quote, "your child will never hear human language". Having no experience or knowledge otherwise, I was lost.

We switched to an amazing audiologist at my pediatricians recommendation. My child's hearing loss ranged from moderate to severe, and there is SO MUCH that can be done now to help. It's very very important to educate yourself about all the options, and to have an excellent, caring audiologist.

lfab

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 12:57 pm
When my oldest was born she failed the hearing test. Upon further testing we found out she has a profound hearing loss in 1 ear (B"H her other ear is totally normal). She started getting speech therapy and a hearing aid at only a few months old. At around 5 they tested her hearing with the hearing aid and we found out that it wasn't actually doing anything to improve her hearing (since the loss is so profound) so she has stopped wearing it. B"H she appears totally normal and anyone who met her would never know that she has a hearing loss. The only time she has difficulty hearing is in noisy environments. Her teachers know about it so they can keep an eye on her and make sure she is hearing what is going on in class (preferential seating, etc.). She also has an FM unit in school but only uses it as needed.
Depending on the severity of the loss and whether it is in one or both ears your child can have very good outcomes. I don't know where you live but if you are in NYC call striveright. They are an agency (and a preschool) that specializes in children with hearing impairments (my daughter received EI speech therapy through them). Get your child speech therapy even now as an infant. It sounds silly but starting at a few months old really helps. Also, get him hearing aids if deemed appropriate by your audiologist. Take a deep breath, if there are no other cognitive issues he will learn strategies to compensate for the hearing loss and he will be ok.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 1:03 pm
amother wrote:
The audiologist said she doesn't think he needs cochlear implants since that is more for profound hearing loss which he Bh doesn't have.

Audiologists tend to push towards hearing aids. I would recommend, after going through the process and getting the hearing aids, to get an evaluation done at an implant center, like nyu or ny eye and ear.
It's good to have that second opinion and the choice will be yours. Personally, after a month long series of evaluations at nyu, they recommended both ears be implanted. After speaking it over with our regular audiologist and many others at our ei center, we switched surgeons and only did one ear. Bh, we're very happy with our choice.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 1:18 pm
I don't have experience with this as a mother, but I have moderate/severe hearing loss and do fine with hearing aids. Feel free to PM me.

tryinghard

Post Wed, Mar 30 2016, 7:26 pm
When my DD was born, she failed her hearing evaluation. We went for follow-up testing, and they said that her hearing was "sufficient for speech and language acquisition". So we thought everything was normal, and really completely forgot about it. When she was 3-4, she had frequent ear infections, and we could diagnose them ourselves because she would stop hearing us. After she spent a 4 month period basically on antibiotics back to back, we decided to have tubes put in and in the presurgery workup, they noted hearing loss. We thought the tubes might help, but 6 weeks post-op, she was still testing with mild-moderate hearing loss.

DH and I went through a grieving process. We felt guilt, we felt trepidation about her social prospects, about everyone seeing her as the "nebach kid with hearing aids". Then DD got her hearing aids at the age of 5.5 and B'H she is absolutely thriving. She is socially, emotionally, academically no different than any other kid her age. Her teachers sometimes forget about the hearing issue, though this happens less since she got an FM system in school.

At this point, I honestly feel that if I had to choose a minor disability for my child, I would choose this, knowing full-well what it entails. The biggest regret I have is that we never followed up when she was a baby. Maybe certain things would have been easier for her in preschool. But it was obviously not meant to be.

The thing that has been the most helpful in our situation is normalizing it. Why are glasses ok but hearing aids are terrible? Granted, nobody wants to see a baby or small child with glasses, but it's not the end of the world. We took pains to show our daughter that we were not embarrassed - we told everyone, in front of her, until she told us to stop (not because she was embarrassed but because she didn't want us talking about her at all LOL ). Your attitude will shape your child's attitude.

Your baby will be ok. Feel free to PM me if you want.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 7:36 am
thank you so, so much for your responses. I am feeling a lot better already. I know that I have my work cut out for me in trying to navigate getting the best care for my son with not the best insurance. I am just davening that I have the shlichim and and I am in good hands...

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 9:00 am
tryinghard wrote:
The thing that has been the most helpful in our situation is normalizing it. Why are glasses ok but hearing aids are terrible?

THIS. Thank you.

Nicole

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 9:15 am
esheschayil wrote:
THIS. Thank you.

I'm a young mother and also wear hearing aids as of pretty recently. When I first found out I was devastated. Now it's become so normal, not any different than wearing my contact lenses. My kids and husband are used to it and it's really not a big deal. I'm grateful that I have such a tiny device that helps me hear better.

madys

Post Thu, Mar 31 2016, 9:58 am
amother wrote:
thank you so, so much for your responses. I am feeling a lot better already. I know that I have my work cut out for me in trying to navigate getting the best care for my son with not the best insurance. I am just davening that I have the shlichim and and I am in good hands...

Are you in the US? - depending on the state, early intervention really takes over. My son's hearing aids were paid for fully by EI, as well as all his speech therapy.

I'm on Long Island and there was a BOCES program that really helped.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 1:16 am
Bumping this thread.
My baby failed his screening test in hospital, failed screening twice at ENT. Im a wreck, they want me to do an ABR.
Amother PINK how is your baby doing? My baby also startles at loud noises.

amother
Currant

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 4:15 am
My youngest failed his hearing test several times as a baby. He is now a bli ayin hara perfect toddler.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 10:21 am
Thanks for your chizzuk. Did the ENT recommend doing an abr?

amother
Brickred

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 10:39 am
My son failed the hearing test a few times and BH passed the ABR. The audiologist explained that the shape of the ear canal can affect the results of the standard hearing test.
Hope all goes well.
Hatzlacha!

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 12:46 pm
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
My son failed the hearing test a few times and BH passed the ABR. The audiologist explained that the shape of the ear canal can affect the results of the standard hearing test.
Hope all goes well.
Hatzlacha!

Thanks brickred! How old was your baby when you did the abr?

itsasmallworld1

Post Wed, Jul 14 2021, 1:04 pm
amother [ RosePink ] wrote:
Bumping this thread.
My baby failed his screening test in hospital, failed screening twice at ENT. Im a wreck, they want me to do an ABR.
Amother PINK how is your baby doing? My baby also startles at loud noises.

Hi! I am Amother pink. I had to make a new account as it had been so long since my last login that my account became inactive, but I really wanted to reply to you. My baby is now 5 years old and he is doing so phenomenally well Bli ayin hara. He got hearing aids when he was 4 months old and when he was 3 his hearing loss progressed further and he became a candidate for cochlear implants and he got one at 3 and one at 3.5. He speaks so clearly and he really is excelling Bh!! I would be more than happy to speak with you more privately so feel free to pm me and I would love to speak! I remember feeling exactly as you are now, and I am here for you! Sending love!

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 18 2021, 12:50 am
itsasmallworld1 wrote:
Hi! I am Amother pink. I had to make a new account as it had been so long since my last login that my account became inactive, but I really wanted to reply to you. My baby is now 5 years old and he is doing so phenomenally well Bli ayin hara. He got hearing aids when he was 4 months old and when he was 3 his hearing loss progressed further and he became a candidate for cochlear implants and he got one at 3 and one at 3.5. He speaks so clearly and he really is excelling Bh!! I would be more than happy to speak with you more privately so feel free to pm me and I would love to speak! I remember feeling exactly as you are now, and I am here for you! Sending love!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I am so glad to hear that your child is doing well. Your kind words meant alot to me.

Here’s my update: My baby passed the ABR Baruch Hashem! We are so overwhelmed with gratitude to Hashem for the miracle. This has caused me many sleepless nights. We call this a real miracle since there’s a history of hearing loss in the family and we were super anxious about it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics