Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Dressing a toddler boy up as a girl
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

The Happy Wife

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 3:42 pm
Stars wrote:
Huh? Find me one person who would do this for Halloween without raising some eyebrows.

Well, most who Halloween don't have boys with long hair. So I think the temptation to dress up little boys as girls is not there as much. But still lots of males dress up as females and people find it funny. And if someone did dress up a boy as a girl for Halloween it really wouldn't raise eyebrows.

glamourmom

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 3:50 pm
I'm sorry if I offended imamothers. that wasn't my intention. I don't see anything wrong with dressing up a young boy or girl as the opposite gender. the kid doesn't care, I can almost guarantee and if I would see it on the street (Halloween or Purim) my mind would not go where this thread went. it's probably because someone asked and others thought into it so yea let's all stretch our imaginations of why and how s-xual it can be.

Lady Godiva

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 4:11 pm
Laiya wrote:
There's a difference between dressing him as a poodle girl (ie, a character), and a girl version of himself, imo.

This! Read what I wrote in the spinoff of this thread. Can't look it up now.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 4:12 pm
If you oppose dressing a boy as a female, can you please explain the reasons why you object to it so strongly?

And do you feel the same way about girls dressing as a male?

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 4:15 pm
IMO it is the same thing as only dressing a girl in leggings/trousers until age 3 when tznius starts being more applicable.
Until the age of 3 when a boy puts on tzitzis and a kippah what is wrong with dressing up as a girl? It is cute, if they have long hair it looks good and I would totally dress up my girl as a boy if I wanted (I know someone who has twin boy and girl and switched them for purim when they were 2.5).

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 5:18 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
Because he can't verbalize it, maybe. Don't do to a baby what you wouldn't do to a boy.

a couple of years ago some very macho type 10 year old boys dressed up as girls at our purim party. (from not frum families) Obviously not all boys would want to, but some would.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 5:20 pm
When my daughter and son were 3 and 2 I dressed them in each other's clothes for part of Purim. They both wore pants outfits or sweat suits so there were no girly dresses involved. My daughter was quite small for her age so they were about the same size.

It wasn't their idea but they thought it was funny.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 7:11 pm
I am guilty of dressing my 2yr old as a girl on purim he looked beyond adorable! I've seen it a lot and never thought about it through today's gender crisis lens.
But - I recently saw the FB page of a chassidish rebbish guy who transitioned into a girl and his cover photo was of him as a 2yr old dressed like a girl. That put a whole new spin for me on dressing your boy as a girl and I probably wouldn't do it anymore today.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 7:32 pm
I thought there was a very clear prohibition of men and women dressing in each other's clothing. Does Purim suspend this prohibition? Is there an age exemption and cut off date? If so, can you give me sources?

joy613

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 8:43 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I thought there was a very clear prohibition of men and women dressing in each other's clothing. Does Purim suspend this prohibition? Is there an age exemption and cut off date? If so, can you give me sources?

I'm sure there are different shittos on this but I'm with you. According to who we asked it is Assur from any age. The issur of lo silbash is on the parents.

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 8:49 pm
Look, IF you think the toddler would be mortified as a 13 year old if you included a photo of him dressed as a little girl in his Bar Mitzvah montage video then DON'T dress him up s a girl.

Nothing wrong with including a toddler with a bowl of pasta and tomato sauce all over his head or a face covered in birthday cake frosting but he just might not be thrilled if he were dressed in a fluffy pink tutu and a big satin bow in his hair... Boys LOVE messy toddler pictures of themselves but I have never ever heard of a 13 year old boy who insisted his parents include a picture of him dressed as cinderella for Purim.

Juuuuust saying...

Since when don't we consider the kids feelings???

Laiya

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 8:54 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
This! Read what I wrote in the spinoff of this thread. Can't look it up now.

You said it perfectly over there!

sourstix

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 9:48 pm
I dressed my todler son way back as a girl. I had to it was the cutest thing. he had long hair. and I loved the fun I had. it was one of those fun things you cant do at a different time ever. I did it while I was still able to.

I remember how much fun it was. dh wasnt too happy but wasnt crazy against it. so I did it. I did not see anything wrong with it. and still dont.

sourstix

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 9:50 pm
[quote="amother"]
[b]These days because the world is so messed up in the gender identity area I am sure a lot of people would comment or raise an eyebrow but a couple of years ago it was just plain v'nohapuchu fun. An older boy is another story but a toddler? c'mon...[/quote][/b]

this! exactly I couldnt figure out why this is even a problem. but I see the world has become such a confusing place to be in. why cant we think straight and common sense. why do we go so deep and confuse ourselves in the process? we are only hurting ourselves.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Mar 21 2016, 11:46 pm
Wow. I literally do not understand all the animosity here. Would never even have occurred to me that people would consider it so offensive.

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 12:27 am
sourstix wrote:
I dressed my todler son way back as a girl. I had to it was the cutest thing. he had long hair. and I loved the fun I had. it was one of those fun things you cant do at a different time ever. I did it while I was still able to.

I remember how much fun it was. dh wasnt too happy but wasnt crazy against it. so I did it. I did not see anything wrong with it. and still dont.

You did it while you were still able to = before your baby boy had a say in the matter.
Notice how you mention how much fun YOU had doing it (even though your DH wasn't too happy). That's exactly my point in this thread. The mothers are doing this for their own fun. It's really strange to me.
I think I just don't get the joke.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 12:52 am
Lady Godiva wrote:
You did it while you were still able to = before your baby boy had a say in the matter.
Notice how you mention how much fun YOU had doing it (even though your DH wasn't too happy). That's exactly my point in this thread. The mothers are doing this for their own fun. It's really strange to me.

People do those things all the time when getting their baby girls ears pierced at infanthood and not able to make that decision for themselves. (It was my husband who brought it up and I never thought about it until then, plus once I had a baby girl of my own, I couldn't even imagine doing something like that, poking holes in her tiny perfect, soft and sweet smelling baby ears.) Having said that, a few days ago my 19 month old boy found an old dress that belonged to his sister. I noticed that he was struggling trying to put it on, so I helped him and he was so freakin excited and cute! He was having a gay old time... Oh no! What have I done?! LOL

Last edited by MrsDash on Tue, Mar 22 2016, 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

joy613

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 1:27 am
Lady Godiva wrote:

I think she means while she was still able to = before his hair was cut short.

Mothers are dressing their 2 year olds as clowns, doctors, giraffes, firemen, and every other costume for their own fun. obviously. Why else would they do it?

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 7:24 am
MrsDash wrote:
I think I told this story here once before. One year my brother dressed up like a woman on Purim in Israel. He walked around telstone delivering shaloch manos that way. Some people were definitely confused and taken aback, but most laughed so hard, they couldn't breathe.

oohhhh - I think I saw him! LOL

seriously, about ten years ago I was delivering shalach monos in Telzstone and a bunch of bachurim from Nevei were walking around, and one of them was dressed as a girl with a mini skirt, long tights and boots! I was young at the time, and even then it looked really not right. I remember them joking to each other about how his walk is not girlish enough.

yuck.

Maya

Post Tue, Mar 22 2016, 9:32 am
asmileaday wrote:
I am guilty of dressing my 2yr old as a girl on purim he looked beyond adorable! I've seen it a lot and never thought about it through today's gender crisis lens.
But - I recently saw the FB page of a chassidish rebbish guy who transitioned into a girl and his cover photo was of him as a 2yr old dressed like a girl. That put a whole new spin for me on dressing your boy as a girl and I probably wouldn't do it anymore today.

Because you think he transitioned because his mother dressed him up as a girl for Purim when he was two years old?
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics