Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Those who put in new kitchens, best/worst decisions?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 8:35 am
ROFL wrote:
Thanks my daughter is short and she showed it to me !

Someone showed that to me because I'm short and they thought I'd like it. I don't really get it though. Isn't it a complicated solution to a simple problem? I just keep a step stool folded behind the fridge.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 8:36 am
ROFL wrote:
Also, just wanted to bring up, if anyone who will be using the kitchen is vertically challenged, if you can spare the storage space you might want to build in a step stool to unfold from bottom cabinets. like :

1927 Craftsman Charm
Photo by Janel Campbell, CMKBD, CAPS/Neil Kelly Company

talking about this

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 8:53 am
amother wrote:
This is a pretty old thread so people may not reply....

But I will! I decided to do white cabinets and dark countertops that look like soapstone - absolutely black granite with a honed finish

My kitchen exactly!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 9:46 am
Re white countertops: we have white quartz. So far I do not have any permanent stains (one year in). I wipe up spills as soon as I see, and I use barkeeper's friend for tougher stains. Nothing like a sparkling clean white counter top!

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 11:17 am
amother wrote:
Re white countertops: we have white quartz. So far I do not have any permanent stains (one year in). I wipe up spills as soon as I see, and I use barkeeper's friend for tougher stains. Nothing like a sparkling clean white counter top!

I have white counters and I love it as well! People keep telling me to use bar keepers friend, but when I go to the store, they have a few products and I don’t know which is the right one to use.

Can you please be more specific?

Miri7

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 11:45 am
amother wrote:
My plan is to put in soapstone. It has downsides (it has a matte finish, not shiny; it is a softer stone so it can chip and scratch - although you can repair the scratches yourself pretty easily; and it doesn't come in a lot of colors) but it is antimicrobial, doesn't need sealing, and hot pots can be put directly on it.

I also want to do cork floors, so much easier on the feet and for dropping dishes and glassware! I am considering commercial-grade which is a bit more indestructible though.

I’d look into the industrial grade. I lived in a home with some cork floors and, while they looked neat, were a nightmare. Not very durable, not what I’d choose for a kitchen. But easy on the feet!

We chose the honed finish on the granite because it’s not shiny. We don’t have to seal and put hot pots on it - but not Pyrex! The heat transfers too fast. I had a Pyrex 9x13 explode! Luckily no one was hurt, but a ton of food was ruined Sad

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 3:37 pm
amother wrote:
I have white counters and I love it as well! People keep telling me to use bar keepers friend, but when I go to the store, they have a few products and I don’t know which is the right one to use.

Can you please be more specific?

Mine is the Soft Cleanser (by barkeeper's froend)

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 3:43 pm
amother wrote:
Mine is the Soft Cleanser (by barkeeper's froend)

Thanks!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
I’m sorry to hear that. So what type of countertops are nice yet practical? I see so many people putting in Calcatta style which is so white. How do they keep those from staining?

I redid my countertops.
Big mistake.
I didn't ask for round corners. My kids hurt themselves on the sharp edge. I glued something on the corner.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 6:04 pm
amother wrote:
I redid my countertops.
Big mistake.
I didn't ask for round corners. My kids hurt themselves on the sharp edge. I glued something on the corner.

Someone told us that they don't make rounded counters and cabinets anymore. Is that true? We have the rounded ones from many years ago.

jkw

Post Sat, Apr 28 2018, 2:43 pm
I wish I had:
Put in drawers underneath the bottom cabinets for trays, paper goods, anything small not used often. Just wasted space.
Not asked for pullout garbage bin under sink. Too small and have to bend down.
Installed a multilayer pantry inside a cabinet. The "accordion shutters" have shelves and they open up to show a lot more space on the inside.
Put cabinets all the way up to the ceiling so the stuff I had to put up on top isn't on view.
Had adjustable shelves in all the cabinets so I could adjust them according to what I wanted to put where.
Glad I have a special Shabbos drawer and cabinet on the outside of my kitchen counter nearest to the dining room. The drawer holds candles, matches, wicks, besamim, salt cellar, etc. The cabinet has the Shabbos dishes and serving pieces and the like.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Apr 28 2018, 2:48 pm
Glad I have a pareve dishwasher, for all my baking stuff. I'm in Israel so I have a tzomet timer on my fleishigs dishwasher. Love it! It's completely changed shabbos for the whole family.

I can't understand why anyone would put in a pot filler. A faucet without a drain underneath sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Not to mention that a normal adult can lift a large pot of water and carry it to the sink without trouble.

If I had the room, I would have put in full sized fridge and freezer side by side.

Dollyz

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 12:17 am
amother wrote:
I can't understand why anyone would put in a pot filler. A faucet without a drain underneath sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. Not to mention that a normal adult can lift a large pot of water and carry it to the sink without trouble.

A pot filler is actually the only thing I've decided on for my dream kitchen. I'm capable of lifting a large pot, but would love to make it easier.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 12:28 am
Dollyz wrote:
A pot filler is actually the only thing I've decided on for my dream kitchen. I'm capable of lifting a large pot, but would love to make it easier.

You're going to have to walk to the sink to drain your pasta anyhow.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 12:34 am
I don't like pot fillers but I did make sure to get a sink with a pullout nozzle and I fill the pots on the counter and don't need to place hem in the sink.
The pull out spray is also great for rinsing the sink.
Hot water dispenser is a must for me.
Wide side by side stand alone fridge and freezer is a dream.
Drawers for snackbags, baking accessories etc.
I personally had bad experience with deep pantries always being messy so I opted for 12" pantries but very wide.
My corner cabinet under the sink is used for bulky appliances etc that would not fit elsewhere.

IMO the less gadgets a cabinet has the better and longer lasting.

Dollyz

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 12:37 am
amother wrote:
You're going to have to walk to the sink to drain your pasta anyhow.

You're probably right Smile though I was thinking chicken soup.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics