Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Kids wont eat chicken dinner
1  2  Next

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 7:02 am
how many times a week can I give them tuna or eggs? once each.
I want them to eat healthful and nutritious meals. I'm at my wits end. I hate the fussing and bribing and the hour it takes to spoon feed every forkful.
I'm at the point where I'm about to give them cereal and milk for dinner. is that terrible?
is chicken really important for a child's growth and health? I know that protein is crucial but how much can I fight?

and by chicken I mean on the bone, cutlets, ground, meat. they hate it all. I've tried every recipe, baking, cooking, frying, grilling.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 7:24 am
What's wrong with just giving eggs more often? They're a perfectly nutritious food. I eat them every day for breakfast, no reason they can't be every night for dinner. If they don't like chicken, don't make them eat it. Yes, it makes your life harder, because chicken is fairly cheap, generally nutritious, and pretty easy to prepare, so that sucks if it's a no-go. But no, your kids don't NEED it to the point that you have to force it. You shouldn't force anything, especially food. They're allowed to not like something. We all have foods we don't like. Otherwise, just keep offering, they will likely eventually take it on their own. My rule is: I make dinner, you can eat it or not, if not, I'm NOT making something new. I always include something in the meal that I know is liked, but I also make things that are new and different. Sometimes they go ahead and try, sometimes not. But I never sit there feeding them. Not worth the immediate struggle and not worth the long term issues it can cause.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 7:47 am
How about other proteins? Do you eat dairy? I only make chicken for shabbos and maybe one other meal a week and everyone eats a protein, veg and starch each meal.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 7:53 am
Do they like other fish?
you can do salmon, salmon patties, tuna patties, plain tuna with potatoes or such.
What about Falafel in pitta?

IMO there is nothing wrong with cereal it just isn't the most balanced diet to eat every morning and night. My kids often beg for cereal for supper so they get it but I try not to do it more than twice a week.
Egg is ok twice a week or even 3 times. Same for tuna and fish. It may get repetitive but if they like it who cares. My dr always says as long as they are eating something that is not candy or cake then just relax.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 7:59 am
thanks everyone.

I do give tuna, patties or tuna salad, but only once a week. they don't go for any other fish.

they beg for pasta, pizza, cheese latkes everything I don't want to make for dinner. I do make these things but I feel like a terrible mom.

also, they eat bread twice a day (I think) in school so they should be getting all the protein at home.

what else is there besides for eggs and tuna?

mha3484

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 8:17 am
I like dinners that you can just sprinkle some cheese on but its not so heavy so some dinners I make are:

Hearty soups with homemade bread.
Bean burgers with cheese on buns
Tacos with beans, lentils or vegetables. One of my kids finds it hard to eat the tacos so I make taco bowls.
Chinese style dishes like sweet and sour eggplant or stir fry tofu
Pizza made with spelt flour and veggies
I serve a pasta dish once a week. I just don't make it too heavy.

m+m

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 8:35 am
Here are some ideas:

Hamburgers- make sliders makes it more fun to eat
Soup with meat
Stew
Meat lasagna
Homemade chicken nuggets

tichellady

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 10:09 am
Split pea soup, lentil soup, quinoa sprinkled into soup or salad, tofu ( can be puréed into sauces or soups if your kids won't eat it as it is). Cereal and milk is ok once in a while but is usually not much healthier than cookies ( unless you use healthy cereal). You don't need chicken to be the only source of protein. I make lasagna with cottage cheese and very little grated cheese and add spinach and zuchinni so it ends up being on the healthier side.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 10:14 am
amother wrote:
thanks everyone.

I do give tuna, patties or tuna salad, but only once a week. they don't go for any other fish.

they beg for pasta, pizza, cheese latkes everything I don't want to make for dinner. I do make these things but I feel like a terrible mom.

also, they eat bread twice a day (I think) in school so they should be getting all the protein at home.

what else is there besides for eggs and tuna?

why not do tuna twice a week? nothing wrong with it.
whats wrong with cheese latkes? cut down on the flour and use more farmer cheese and your good!
how about cheese blintzes? nice and healthy serve with some cut up veggies or a salad

tichellady

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 10:15 am
Check out ellyn satter's books and websites. She may be able to help you figure out a better system for your family

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 10:22 am
thanks all.

I work full time so not much time to prep meals. I will look up recipes for some ideas mentioned.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 10:40 am
My kids love salmon. They love tofu. I make it into a stir fry. I do some bean soups.
Otherwise will they eat meatballs and spaghetti?
What about omelets with veggies or breakfast for supper?

WastingTime

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 10:55 am
I made fresh tuna steaks the other day and my kids really liked them, may not go over as well on little kids though...
Are you open to ground beef not just chicken? or good quality ground turkey? They may like that better. I agree, eggs is a great option that can be used a few times a week. Maybe even add cottage cheese in if they would take it. Cheese latkes also.
Don't feel alone or like a bad mother- many of us struggle with getting nutritious food in. Somehow be"H they all grow up anyway- even the ones that never say a borei pri haetz only say a haadama on potato chips and french fries :-)

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 10:59 am
I've tried meatballs, they don't go for ground anything.
I do give omelets or hard eggs with cottage cheese once a week or once in two wks. guess I'll have to do that more often if I'm going to cut out chicken completely.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 12:22 pm
do they like chicken soup with vegetables?

I also find it strange that all your kids have the same tastes. I wonder if there is some peer pressure going on. Usually there is some variety among what siblings will eat.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 12:38 pm
good point Tichellady. I don't have many kids so I can still try to accommodate all.
my youngest eats nicely but also starting to pick up on the "pickiness".

my kids like chicken soup but no veggies, G-D forbid. and that is pretty recent.

another question I had: how terrible is it if a child doesn't eat any dinner once in a while?

last night oldest son threw a fit that he's not eating dinner. I calmly told him he can eat any part of it or nothing at all and just go to bathe and bed. I feel awful about that. I can't bear thought that my child will go to bed hungry even though I don't think he'd mind. he ate nicely in end cuz he wanted dried fruit for dessert aka my bribe to get them to eat, but I was very seriously going to put him to bed with no food. either that or I'd lose my cool trying to get him to eat.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 12:46 pm
have you tried breaded/fried flounder ...

what about franks in blanks ... easy & fun

nothing wrong with going vegetarian - you just have to supplement protein with the right veggies/legumes/etc.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
good point Tichellady. I don't have many kids so I can still try to accommodate all.
my youngest eats nicely but also starting to pick up on the "pickiness".

my kids like chicken soup but no veggies, G-D forbid. and that is pretty recent.

another question I had: how terrible is it if a child doesn't eat any dinner once in a while?

last night oldest son threw a fit that he's not eating dinner. I calmly told him he can eat any part of it or nothing at all and just go to bathe and bed. I feel awful about that. I can't bear thought that my child will go to bed hungry even though I don't think he'd mind. he ate nicely in end cuz he wanted dried fruit for dessert aka my bribe to get them to eat, but I was very seriously going to put him to bed with no food. either that or I'd lose my cool trying to get him to eat.

It's fine. A kid can go to sleep without dinner. If he was truly hungry he would eat something. I really think you should read ellyn satter's book though. Sounds like your kids are keeping you on your toes.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 12:55 pm
greenfire wrote:
have you tried breaded/fried flounder ...

what about franks in blanks ... easy & fun

nothing wrong with going vegetarian - you just have to supplement protein with the right veggies/legumes/etc.

I wish they'd eat these.

they are not underweight in the least but I can't just say that I won't feed them cuz of that. right?

do you have a name for that book?
they are great kids. so fun and friendly and positive. obviously they fight and compete and whine and and and but that's normal. mostly in this area, they stress me out.

greenfire

Post Tue, May 10 2016, 1:00 pm
how about shake night ... greek yogurt has twice the protein & add veggies, fruit, nuts & a little chocolate or honey & voila

you've got FUN dinner & kids who think you're the koolist mom
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers