Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Does such a place exist?!
Previous  1  2

chocolatecake

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 3:16 pm
what about atlanta, GA. The weather there is pretty decent. They have a BY High school for girls and a Yeshiva highschool for boys.

doctorima

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 3:26 pm
San Diego is gorgeous, but I don't think the current religious infrastructure is what you're looking for. So to answer your question, if there's no wiggle room on any of the criteria that you listed, no, I don't think such a place exists.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 3:40 pm
Boo hoo, I was afraid of that. Dh hates LA, maybe a suburb is better.
Day schools are jewish schools that are often mixed and cater to all types , from totally non affiliated to more religious.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:02 pm
We live in Houston now... Weather gets miserably hot and humid for months on end. My kids got stomach aches just from the carpool wait at the end of the camp day. I hide inside as much as I can, but gotta sometimes get out or go crazy... even walking across a parking lot to buy groceries leaves me feeling sticky and uncomfortable. Don't move here if sensitive to heat!!!

Lilibet

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 7:34 am
Suburban Washington D.C. (suburban Maryland, Silver Spring, Rockville, Kemp Mill neighborhoods) might be a good fit, the perpetually strong job market is a big attraction.

Chicago also has jobs, and a great community. And housing prices are lower than in the Washington DC or New York areas.

The Columbus, Ohio community is growing because of a strong job market, however, I the high school is orthodox and I am assuming that you want a more yeshivish type school when you write "no day school"

Philadelphia also has a pretty strong economy. Baltimore is perfect in many ways, except that the overall Baltimore economy is not strong, it works well for medical professionals because the medical centers are thriving.

Think hard before moving all the way across the continent. If your connections are in New York, I recommend Silver Spring. Being an expensive flight away form family is very different than being able to drive in for a chag or a wedding.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 8:30 am
amother wrote:
...Day schools are jewish schools that are often mixed and cater to all types , from totally non affiliated to more religious.

Clarification of your terms: You're describing a community school.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 9:46 am
Rubber ducky, I used that term bec that is the term used on the community website when describing their school.
We actually need to move away from family, which is the main reason why we want to move. I love our current neighborhood, we all have good friends, decent schools and jobs etc. But sometimes it's better to be a plane ride away.
Chicago also has family, and as mentioned dh doesn't like Baltimore.
He'd really love florida, but the heat....

shaimac1

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
Dh & I would love to move away from the tri state area, but we have a number of requirements.
1) an established community , with proper shuls, schools (no day school), easy access to kosher food.
2) temperate weather. We love florida, but the heat makes me and my kids physically sick. Otoh, very cold weather makes my asthma flare up.
3) good parnassah opportunities
4) relaxing lifestyle, not looking for city life, so Los Angeles is out.
5) warm, friendly people. I love our current neighbors, my kids have loads of friends, etc.
Any ideas?

In response to your questions you should look more into Denver, CO.
1- Established Community with two differnt elementry schools, a Bais Yaakov and Yeshiva, Eruv, Mikvah, Kosher food and even a resturant.
2-They do get snow but a lot of times by the next day it is sunny and warm, and for your issues of not wanting lots of rain or clouds they have like 300 days a year that are sunny Smile and since it is at a higher elevation your asthma may not be an issue at all Smile
3- They have a strong job market, but it all depends on what you and or DH do for a living like with any community.
4- Smaller community so more relaxed and not a big city like LA.
5- People there are really warm and great and nice size community so friends shouldn't be an issue!

Good luck!

dancingqueen

Post Thu, May 12 2016, 3:03 pm
Denver actually sounds interesting. But honestly op, there is no utopic perfect place to live. You have to weigh your pros and cons.

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 5:57 am
I think of several European places.
Israel is extremely hot. I'm like you, OP, my husband and kids and I get extremely bothered by heat, but as a migrainer I'm just incapacitated. My two last trips in Israel were mostly bed ridden. Good times. People won't understand unless they see it.

DrMom

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 7:09 am
amother wrote:
Dh & I would love to move away from the tri state area, but we have a number of requirements.
1) an established community , with proper shuls, schools (no day school), easy access to kosher food.
2) temperate weather. We love florida, but the heat makes me and my kids physically sick. Otoh, very cold weather makes my asthma flare up.
3) good parnassah opportunities
4) relaxing lifestyle, not looking for city life, so Los Angeles is out.
5) warm, friendly people. I love our current neighbors, my kids have loads of friends, etc.
Any ideas?

I think you may have to think about ways to control your local temperature (a/c, heat, humidifiers, etc.) rather than wait for the perfect location to materialize.

Which is worse for you? Extreme heat or extreme cold? Most places in the continental US which have mild winters will have at least a few beastly hot days in the summer.

DrMom

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:
Rubber ducky, I used that term bec that is the term used on the community website when describing their school.
We actually need to move away from family, which is the main reason why we want to move. I love our current neighborhood, we all have good friends, decent schools and jobs etc. But sometimes it's better to be a plane ride away.
Chicago also has family, and as mentioned dh doesn't like Baltimore.
He'd really love florida, but the heat....

I thought you wanted to move because you didn't like the Florida weather...?

Perhaps you can convince your family to move. Maybe they are less picky than you are?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 4:37 pm
Lol, my extended family is settled where they are. To clarify, I moved a small distance away from them, and love my current community, but a) dh wants a slower more relaxed way of life (he'd love to live in a beach town) , b) we both feel I would benefit by being a real distance from family.
We were away for pessach, I was careful to barely call my family and I was much happier, my kids were calmer etc .

nylon

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 11:40 pm
The only place with weather like you describe is the west coast.

Texas for sure not. Houston is worse than Florida.

If you go too far north, the winters will be too cold. Atlanta is fairly hot in the summer, hotter than Baltimore/DC, but the winters are pleasant.

You need to decide, a bit more hot or a bit more cold. Or move to Seattle. Smile

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, May 15 2016, 11:41 pm
chocolatecake wrote:
what about atlanta, GA. The weather there is pretty decent. They have a BY High school for girls and a Yeshiva highschool for boys.

Doesn't it get insanely hot during the summer in Atlanta?

ShoshLay

Post Tue, May 17 2016, 4:01 pm
I'm going to promote my community again. It does have pluses and minuses, relative to your criteria. I moved to Harrisburg, PA, a year and a half ago, and see that it is a wonderful place to raise children. First, our school is a day school. But your kids will have Shomer Shabbos friends. Our head of Judaics is from a Chofetz Chaim hashkafa, and he personalizes curriculum for the more yeshivish kids. His own kids attended our school, and all have maintained the family's hashkafa. So, it's worth looking into. Most kids go to Baltimore for high school, where you have full choice of schooling. The commute is similar to what many people do in the tri-state area. Our winter temps are usually above freezing, into the 40's. There is some snow. I'm from the north, so I feel the winter here is negligible. I hate the heat Summers are most often in the 80's, and I don't like it when the temp is around 90 or higher, which it is sometimes. Lifestyle is more relaxed here. Virtually no commuting, so you gain hours each week. Non-materialistic community with low cost but beautiful housing, and subsidized tuition. Kids grow up with middot and good influences. In the smaller communities kids learn by example to step up to the plate and take responsibility for their communities. My kids were raised in a similar community, and as young adults I take tremendous pride in how they contribute heavily to their own communities. We have all the basics for Orthodox life. Plus a nice feel to the community and a sense of togetherness.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating