Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is kids' constant snacking an American thing?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 4:55 pm
It is so gross....kids have bags and bags of snacks at the playground. It's excessive....and then my kids see that and want it too. I'm American, but I can't imagine every 1st world country is like this with the incessant munching between meals.

ectomorph

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:05 pm
I used to never bring snacks but then my kid started begging other people for food. It really annoys me too. I don't think my child needs to have food available every second of the day, but I can't let him be the kid who is begging others either.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:05 pm
I was just talking to DH about this recently. I serve meals and snacks at home within reason. I never take snacks with me unless we are going to be gone for many many hours. We go to the park on shabbos and everyone has a snack. Same with shul. My kids know we can go home and eat. It just doesn't make sense to me.

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:08 pm
Kids get hungry when they burn energy on the playground...I bring along healthy snacks and so do many others. Crackers, cheese, fruit, vegetables etc.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:13 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Kids get hungry when they burn energy on the playground...I bring along healthy snacks and so do many others. Crackers, cheese, fruit, vegetables etc.

Ugh. I feel like every kid has a feedbag attached to their stroller. It's excessive.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:16 pm
We eat smaller meals with snacks in between, so we usually end up eating every few hours. We're not stuffing our faces all day. My kids eat even smaller meals. I usually don't go out without a snack for everyone but we don't eat unless we are hungry. Sorry you feel snacking is gross.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:23 pm
I want my kids to understand that everything has a time and place. The park is for playing, when we are done we can go home and get a snack. Shul is for davening. We can wait for kiddush or again if its too hard we can walk home. The rule at meal time is that I get to eat as much as I wish before I get up for seconds or drink refills. I want to help them set good habits not be a dictator.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:29 pm
Forget about kids--for myself, I need to snack every so often. I'm prone to low blood sugar, and if I don't snack, I get lightheaded and dizzy. I'm small-built and petite. (I also eat smaller meals, as pp said). I imagine the situation is similar for children, especially since they're active.

Much healthier for them to eat smaller meals and snacks throughout the day. If there was anything you wanted to take issue with, I would think it would be the content of the snacks.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 5:50 pm
I wish it was just healthy snacks. I go to the playground and the snacks the kids are eating are just junk.
I don't think I am extreme but I don't understand it.
Also my son is coming home from school asking for this stuff his friend have. And theres zero nutrition in it - worse then empty calories. It's sugar!!!

Im open to any advice. What do you tell your kids. I take fruit and pretzels and water....- if it'll be a while and esp for my 5 yr old who eats little more frequently.

cm

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 6:16 pm
It is an American phenomenon, and fairly recent. People didn't carry food around when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's, unless you were going to be out for hours. Everyone had a mid-afternoon snack after school, and tiny children had something mid-morning as well, but it wasn't constant feeding.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 6:56 pm
amother wrote:
I wish it was just healthy snacks. I go to the playground and the snacks the kids are eating are just junk.
I don't think I am extreme but I don't understand it.
Also my son is coming home from school asking for this stuff his friend have. And theres zero nutrition in it - worse then empty calories. It's sugar!!!

Im open to any advice. What do you tell your kids. I take fruit and pretzels and water....- if it'll be a while and esp for my 5 yr old who eats little more frequently.

Advice? I'd say have a variety of fruits and vegetables. I find that if they're packaged in a fun way, the kids will be into it. Ex. melon cubes with toothpicks. Or cucumber sticks in individual baggies.

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 7:02 pm
This topic is so weird. I consider it "mommy experience" that I know to always bring food along. It's a guaranteed way to keep my kids from freaking out over nothing or having tantrums, which 99% of the time are caused by hunger or fatigue.

cm

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 7:22 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
This topic is so weird. I consider it "mommy experience" that I know to always bring food along. It's a guaranteed way to keep my kids from freaking out over nothing or having tantrums, which 99% of the time are caused by hunger or fatigue.

It's one thing to be prepared with food and to feed your kids whenever they are hungry; it is another to give them junk food all.day.long.

thanks

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 7:33 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

How about in the winter, when the school has indoor recess? Kids walk the halls eating. If you think about it, it's gross.

My kids are unique in that they only eat when they are hungry - and they don't get that from me.

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 7:50 pm
thanks wrote:
How about in the winter, when the school has indoor recess? Kids walk the halls eating. If you think about it, it's gross.

My kids are unique in that they only eat when they are hungry - and they don't get that from me.

I thought about it and I don't understand what's gross about having a snack 3 hours after breakfast. Please explain.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 7:59 pm
Thank you gp2.0 for your voice of reason.

cm

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 8:14 pm
Lunch is about 3-4 hours after breakfast, in most settings IME. If school starts super-early and there is a longer time between meals, I would expect there to be some sort of snack time.

When I started looking at schools for my child one thing that struck me as totally unfamiliar from my own experience as a student was seeing kids eating in class or in the hall. Bizarre, and probably part of the dramatic rise in childhood obesity in the US over the past generation.

gp2.0 and ra_mom, please try to see the distinction that others are making between feeding children good food whenever they are hungry on the one hand, and stuffing them with junk food and fostering unhealthful habits on the other.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 8:26 pm
cm wrote:
Lunch is about 3-4 hours after breakfast, in most settings IME. If school starts super-early and there is a longer time between meals, I would expect there to be some sort of snack time.

When I started looking at schools for my child one thing that struck me as totally unfamiliar from my own experience as a student was seeing kids eating in class or in the hall. Bizarre, and probably part of the dramatic rise in childhood obesity in the US over the past generation.

gp2.0 and ra_mom, please try to see the distinction that others are making between feeding children good food whenever they are hungry on the one hand, and stuffing them with junk food and fostering unhealthful habits on the other.

However the posters seem to equate eating between meals and eating junk food.
And where is lunch 3-4 hours after breakfast? If lunch is noon, 4 hours before that is 8. Schools where I live start then. So carpool is before that and then before that is breakfast.
When I was in school (frum) it started at 7:30 or 7:45 or something like that. Breakfast had to be much earlier (6:45? Earlier if you lived further from the school) and lunch wasn't until 12. Recess was 10:30. Duh, we were going to eat. It had been a minimum of 4 hours!

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 8:27 pm
cm wrote:

My children eat breakfast at 7:30am. Recess is at 10:30am. My children enjoy a fruit and/or corn pops at that time. 12:30pm is lunch. Recess is again at 2:30pm. And they come home famished at 4:45pm, at which point one of them prefers a fruit while the other would like to eat dinner right away (this one always wants a fruit later on after dinner). (I don't know about you, but when I work hard or train in on new concepts I need walking breaks and food energy too).
My children don't stuff themselves. We don't do junk but do give snack. I believe we eat in a healthy manner. And in case you're worried about size I am bh thin and one of the ways I maintain it is by eating healthy low calorie filling and relatively nutritious foods every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism going. When I don't eat a fruit/100 cal bag of pretzels/handful almonds/yogurt/bran muffin in between meals I actually do gain weight.

If the way you eat is working for you then that is an indication that you should continue to do so. The way we eat works for our family bh. I don't understand the need to judge people who do things differently than one is used to. I bring snacks along when we will be out of the house for 3 hours and serve up decent snacks, some better, some worse, without anyone stuffing their faces with junk, though they may not be nibbling on cheese or eggs. I don't see a reason to put people down for "constant" snacking (yes, I eat 2 snacks and 3 fruits a day in between 3 meals) or say things like "ugh, every kid has a feedbag attached".

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, May 11 2016, 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

cnc

Post Wed, May 11 2016, 8:31 pm
ra_mom wrote:
My children eat breakfast at 7:30am. Recess is at 10:30am. My children enjoy a fruit and/or corn pops at that time. 12:30pm is lunch. Recess is at 2:30pm. And they come home famished at 4:45pm, at which point one of them prefers a fruit while the other would like to eat dinner right away (this one always wants a fruit later on after dinner).
My children don't stuff themselves. We don't do junk but do give snack. I believe we eat in a healthy manner. And in case you're worried about size I am bh thin and one of the ways I maintain it is by eating healthy low calorie foods every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism going. When I don't eat a fruit/100 cal bag of pretzels/handful almonds/yogurt/bran muffin in between meals I actually do gain weight.

If the way you eat is working for you then that is an indication that you should continue to do so. The way we eat works for our family bh. I don't understand the need to judge people who do things differently than one is used to. I bring snacks along when we will be out of the house for 3 hours and serve up decent snacks, some better, some worse, without anyone stuffing their faces with junk, though they may not be nibbling on cheese or eggs. I don't see a reason to put people down for "constant" snacking (yes, I eat 2 snacks and 3 fruits a day in between 3 meals) or say things like "ugh, every kid has a feedbag attached".

Very well said.
My nutritionist tells me to have a snack in between each meal, so that I'm eating every 2-3 hours. (I eat healthy snacks such as a Greek yogurt, granola bar , cereal or fruit etc).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics