Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Melania Trump plagiarized speech. Big deal?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 11:34 am
Fox, will you marry me?

(Although you'll have to fight MagentaYenta for the honors. Jello wrestling may be in order here.)

Very Happy

*PS: check out Alfonzo Rachel, I adore him!

leah233

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 11:48 am
This whole thing is unimportant because Melinia Trump probably won't have any real effect on her husbands policies so what difference is there in what she says or does? She probably only spoke to put a human face on him.

Barbara Bush was the fourth first lady to speak at a national convention.She did so to highlight the difference between the Republicans with their family values and the Democrats with their philandering candidate (Bill Clinton)She made no actual reference to him although Marylin Quayle said "I'm here to show that not all baby boomers joined the zexual revelation, took drugs and shirked their civil responsibilities..."

The next mornings New York Time editorial was about how the Republican have to hide behind ladies skirts rather than dealing with issues.Apparently that liberal icon felt women can't possibly have what to offer by a convention

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 1:13 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Fox, will you marry me?

Oh, FF! I would, but I'd never be retweeted again by any of the Milo proxy accounts. You know how he is about same-s-x marriage. I'd have to turn in my pearls, and we'd only be allowed to party with Dave Rubin, his husband, and their stupid mangy dog.

It's not you; it's me. I just need more fabulousness in my life!

bigsis144

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 2:02 pm
Fox wrote:

Is it any wonder my house is a mess? Seriously, my job and trying to be a mediocre balabusta really cut into my hobbies. But who can concentrate on dishes when I have to see who's retweeting me; when I have to check my fanfic stats; or, of course, write dissertation-length pieces on Imamother?

Very Happy

YOU WRITE FANFIC?

If you want a young trophy wife, I'd be happy to join your growing harem, Fox Wink

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 2:07 pm
Fox wrote:
Now, on to the elephant in the living room: Ben Shapiro.

I am thoroughly conflicted in my thinking.

Is he correct that Trump, et. al., need to call out the alt-Right on anti-Semitism, etc. Yeah, I think he probably is.

But he tends to wrap up the issue in so many wonkish details that my eyes glaze over. And what really happened at Breitbart? I feel like he gave up valuable real estate from which to point out problems in the alt-Right. It almost seems like he just got tired -- which is fair enough.

Opinions, ladies?

I'll have to check out Jack Donovan; I am not familiar with him.

Love Ben Shapiro, although he is such a purist that I don't know how he ever manages to vote for anyone. I enjoy his wonkish policy discussions. He has podcasts on DailyWire.

Another commentator on DailyWire is Andrew Klavan. He can't control laughing at his own jokes, which can be irritating, but he is very sharp, sarcastic, and fair. Sees the Big Picture, and often discusses issues of morality and long-term civilizational (downward, usually) trends.

http://www.dailywire.com/podcasts

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 2:22 pm
Fox wrote:
Oh, FF! I would, but I'd never be retweeted again by any of the Milo proxy accounts. You know how he is about same-s-x marriage. I'd have to turn in my pearls, and we'd only be allowed to party with Dave Rubin, his husband, and their stupid mangy dog.

It's not you; it's me. I just need more fabulousness in my life!

That's OK, I understand. *sniff*

What fanfic do you write? DD is dying to know. She basically ships everything and everyone that has ever existed.

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 2:33 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
YOU WRITE FANFIC?

If you want a young trophy wife, I'd be happy to join your growing harem, Fox Wink

I've been pretty thoroughly out of the Imamother closet for years, but y'all are flattering me into stripping completely and dancing on the table.

I began it as a creative outlet when I was pregnant, which was most of the mid-90s.

I currently write for anime/manga fandoms that probably aren't well-known to most people (Kuroshitsuji, Kamisama Hajimemashita, and sometimes Junjō Romantica). I used to write stuff for Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire books until HBO came along and ruined everything with True Blood. But I got my start in the heady days of X-Files fanfic. That spoiled me terribly, because I was getting 2000-3000 hits within a few hours of posting a story, being nominated for Spookys, and generally getting to feel like a special snowflake.

So now you have some insight into my screen name: I use FoxPro development language at work and my early fanfic gimmick was that my stories were always from Mulder's POV. Which also explains why, as people who've met me IRL have said, that I'm not very fox-like.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 2:41 pm
DD started with Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, but now she's moved on to Once Upon a Time, Attack on Titan, Free!, Black Butler, Sword Art Online, and Death Note. (Probably some others, too. I can't keep track of them all.)

She publishes on Quotev, and has a huge following. She also role plays online, as many different characters with other people. She tends to RP as original characters, to interact with canon RPrs.

She's sad that there are no English speaking anime LARP groups in Israel. What's an otaku fangirl to do?

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 3:02 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
now she's moved on to Once Upon a Time, Attack on Titan, Free!, Black Butler, Sword Art Online, and Death Note.

She publishes on Quotev, and has a huge following. She also role plays online, as many different characters with other people. She tends to RP as original characters, to interact with canon RPrs.

She's sad that there are no English speaking anime LARP groups in Israel. What's an otaku fangirl to do?

I'm too old and not dedicated enough to be a true otaku. Black Butler = Kuroshitsuji, and that theme song (Monochrome no Kiss) is enough to draw anyone in. Plus, who can resist a bishie demon?

I'm curious as to how you feel about yaoi content -- a couple of those you've mentioned have some pretty intense BL action. I recently was contacted about editing some yaoi light novels, and I'm not sure what to do. I guess I should ask a shaila, but how the heck would I even explain what yaoi is and how/why it's different from bara?!

We've wandered kind of far from Melania's speech, and I just got a WhatsApp message from my 87-year-old father telling me that Twitter's stock price is down today and asking if "that conservative blond guy with the long name" has been reinstated. Truth is truly stranger than fiction.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 3:07 pm
It's funny y'all are so obsessed with a Catholic Jew.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 3:14 pm
sequoia wrote:

I believe people here are discussing his politics, not his religion.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 3:18 pm
Yeah, it's just weird... on a frum site.

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 3:27 pm
sequoia wrote:

Yeah, his background and childhood is kind of a multiple-generation trainwreck from what I know. But since the chances of his being redt to Clementine are pretty slim, I don't get too bent out of shape about it.

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 3:59 pm
Whoops! Spoke too soon! Clem says that she's up for it! Mostly because she wants a Louis Vuitton bag. She says if I can be a trans-30-year-old, she can be a trans-black guy.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 4:06 pm
sequoia wrote:
Yeah, it's just weird... on a frum site.

Why? Melania Trump isn't Jewish, and we spent the last 5 pages talking about her.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 4:08 pm
Fox wrote:
Completely forgot about Douglas Murray! Love Douglas Murray! Also agree about Sam Harris and Mark Steyn.

I've been listening to Sonnie Johnson a lot lately, too.

I also can't be remiss in mentioning my longtime celebrity crush, P.J. O'Rourke. He's had
[...]

And, of course, all these girls want pictures with Milo during the meet-and-greet! And how are pictures taken? On the girls' phones, of course! And who is available to take these pictures? Yup, all those obliging interns, who can now say things like, "I'd really love to talk to you sometime. Is it okay if I text you?" and then quickly send texts to their own phones, thus capturing the phone numbers of the girls.

Need I explain what a popular gig this is among the interns? Totally worth the embarrassment of shlepping all the Louis Vuitton.

[...]

Clearly, we're just not thinking creatively enough when it comes to the shidduch crisis! Very Happy
Some of the company he keeps is pretty bad, but I am fascinated by his thoughts on the role of masculinity and how positive masculine identity is formed. I've thought a lot about it in connection with my sons' experiences in a cheder-style school and gender separation in RW Jewish life.

Discuss, and show your work!

#FreeMilo #FreeNero

I am missing out on so much by not doing the Twitter, FB, and podcasts and what are your other sources of info/entertainment/infotainment?

sequoia

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 4:11 pm
DrMom wrote:
Why? Melania Trump isn't Jewish, and we spent the last 5 pages talking about her.

Right. She's not Jewish.

MY is, and is choosing Xtianity.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 4:11 pm
Fox wrote:
We've wandered kind of far from Melania's speech, and I just got a WhatsApp message from my 87-year-old father telling me that Twitter's stock price is down today and asking if "that conservative blond guy with the long name" has been reinstated. Truth is truly stranger than fiction.

Please let your father know that I love that he does the WhatsApp at this point in life (and I bet he leaves out the article "the") and that I am adding this to my file of how to get to who do I want to be when I grow up.

Fox

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 4:27 pm
sequoia wrote:
MY is, and is choosing Xtianity.

Oh, that's the least controversial of what he considers "choices."

Anyway, he was raised as a Roman Catholic by his grandmother, if I remember correctly. Sad, of course, but hardly a unique story.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jul 21 2016, 4:29 pm
Right. But I would think that *on this website* it would be considered the most controversial. Like, we don't generally like it when Jews follow other religions.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics