Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What school did you go to?
  Previous  1  2  3   22  23  24  Next

tryinghard

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 7:40 pm
Bruriah. There'a quite a range of "products" of Bruriah, but I definitely am not an atypical result, and I am proud of being a graduate of the school.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 7:56 pm
Bais Yaakov high school in boro park. Very diverse crowd so there's no one type.. Any 2010 graduates from bais Yaakov on here

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:19 pm
I went to a reform Hebrew school after school program for about 10 years (went to public school). When I got older, I hated the reform Hebrew school. Classes were coed with few girls and hormonal boys who threw spit balls and were always roudy and causing trouble!! The reform Hebrew school experience really turned me off to Judaism for many years. Plus, I never really learned anything Jewish in the reform Hebrew School. I learned how to pronoun Hebrew Words, but never learnt Hebrew grammar or why we said certain prayers. Plus I never learned about all the Yom tov. I just remember learning about Chanukah, Purim and pesach. I had never heard of Rosh Hashana, Sukkot or Shavout until I went to Chabad and Hillel during college.

When I was in college I got involved with Hillel and then Chabad. I got really active with Jewish life on campus and became frum by the time I graduated college. I have a lot of respect for Chabad, but don't follow Chabad practices, but am modern orthodox I'd say now.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:27 pm
Im not sure what you mean by representing a school. I am my own person and in no way did my school shape/form me. I am unique and would have been this way regardless of which school I went to. I do think its very much nature because I am very strong but have watched others be influenced by their school I.e. becoming all frum and yeshivish and they were weaker characters.
People conform when they are afraid to be themselves

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 8:29 pm
Grew up in a city where I was the frummest one in the city I.e my classmates didn't keep kosher or shabbos but they were (mostly) halachically Jewish. Wen't out of town for HS and that shaped me a lot. Truthfully, being in the first environment shaped my character a lot too.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:10 pm
Bais Brocho in Brooklyn.

I am not a product or poster child in any way of the school.

Either way, it had a dramatic shift over the years so it no longer is what it used to be either.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:23 pm
I went to BYA. I have no idea what I am Smile not stereotypical BYA anymore but I think they'd be proud of where I am. It shaped me in some ways. Taught me some things etc. but I'm more chassidish not litvish now.

My husband appreciates my upbringing and values that I learned in school, so yes in some ways I am a product of my school.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:30 pm
Prospect

Definitely not living the Prospect dream. Wasn't a rebel by any means, but not following their ideals for me.

Maya

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
Bais Brocho in Brooklyn.

I am not a product or poster child in any way of the school.

Either way, it had a dramatic shift over the years so it no longer is what it used to be either.

This is true for most schools, especially Chassidish ones.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 10:54 pm
Maya wrote:
This is true for most schools, especially Chassidish ones.

True, sadly enough. So many schools have joined the race to jump off the cliff of fanaticism. Scary to see the nonsense they teach their students in the name of Judaism.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jul 19 2016, 11:48 pm
Went to secular private school. While I wasn't the typical student, it did shape me, as it was an amazing school that challenged and engaged its students, focused on personal integrity and character. I wish I had a school like that to send my kids to now Sad

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 1:12 am
amother wrote:
Bnos yisroel viznitz in monsey.
I do feel like I represent my school. (Except that I have Internet access Wink )

Ooh ahh! Did not expect to see Viznitz Monsey on this thread, and saying that you represent the school...

I went to Bnos Yisroel Viznitz in Williamsburg. I am definitely not their poster graduate.

rzab

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:19 am
amother wrote:
Im not sure what you mean by representing a school. I am my own person and in no way did my school shape/form me. I am unique and would have been this way regardless of which school I went to. I do think its very much nature because I am very strong but have watched others be influenced by their school I.e. becoming all frum and yeshivish and they were weaker characters.
People conform when they are afraid to be themselves

I don't necessarily agree with this. While I don't consider myself the typical SKA graduate, I definitely see where the school has had an impact on me as a person.
I really think there is no way that you can be a part of an institution for so long and it not have some form of influence on who you are as a person. And I think that is true for every school, camp, organization I have been a part of.

rainbow dash

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 3:25 am
Went to public primary school then private jewish day school till I went to public high school. So I would answer no.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 4:29 am
Bais Yaakov of Ramapo. I was single for a bunch of years before I got married so while I do think that the school influenced me while I was there, and that I graduated as a real poster girl for the school - things definitely changed in my single years. I'd say I am mainly a product of my home now. Smile

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 4:33 am
I went to bat torah academy in monsey ny. 8t closed down a few years ago.
there were no typical students. many different types of girls.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 5:00 am
I went to Bais yakov ger. I was a poster student. And I do raise my kids chasidish. Though no connection to ger at all. I'm just chasidish. Didn't grow up in ger house. Just chasidish.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 5:09 am
I went to Bais Kaila in Lakewood more than 20 years ago.
I think that I am a really good representation of what they wanted their students to be.
Totally shaped me into who I am even many years later

Liebs

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 7:07 am
amother wrote:
What does that even mean?

PS-Public School
If you went to PS should know that...your school is called PS135 for ex.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 8:11 am
I went to bais yaakov of queens and shevach.
I would say for the most part I am a typical shevach graduate.

though queens is diverse, so by nature there was no 'one path'

I also attended Michlalah ad Queens College
Page 2 of 24   Previous  1  2  3   22  23  24  Next Recent Topics