Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What school did you go to?
  Previous  1  2  3  4 22  23  24  Next

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:06 am
Unless you've heard of these schools, I'm guessing this thread means nothing to many of us.

Growing up in Queens, I am totally unfamiliar with Bklyn girls' schools. I know a bit more about the boys' schools, only because I had cousins who attended some of them.

And the schools I went to either shut their doors or merged with a larger school years ago.
Yeshiva Dov Revel and Yeshiva High School of Queens (YHSQ), anyone?

I am a product of the home I grew up in and the one I currently share with my husband and children. Not of the schools I attended.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:11 am
Liebs wrote:
PS-Public School
If you went to PS should know that...your school is called PS135 for ex.

Only in NY. I had several friends and one sibling who attended public schools in MD and they all had real names, no numbers.

I went to HogWash (sp? I only ever heard it) and YGW- definitely a product of the former. Deferred college for a year to go to Israel, then cancelled the deferral to make Aliyah. Smile

Fabulous

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:12 am
Machon and yes pretty typical Smile

nicole81

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:22 am
I went to Stuyvesant HS.

I am a typical graduate in that I prioritize secular education. However, being a mom has taught me that there's so much more to life and that a strong academic program isn't necessarily what's most important for every child.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:47 am
TAG

It's pretty diverse but I'm typical for many of their graduates.

If I still lived in Far Rockaway, I would send my kids there.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 9:52 am
Another Bnos Yisroel Visnitz from Williamsburg here!
According to my class in a typical graduate.
Bit were not viznits & live out of town. Would not send my kids there.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:01 am
I went to BY of Monsey over 20 years ago and I'm pretty typical of what they expect their graduates to be.

Even in BY schools there has been a bit of a shift to the right, BTW, and I saw differences between the school from the time I went, to when my youngest sister attended. Rules tightened, certain curriculum eliminated, etc, and this affected the crowd. I think there's less diversity then there was in my day.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:02 am
amother wrote:
Another Bnos Yisroel Visnitz from Williamsburg here!
According to my class in a typical graduate.
Bit were not viznits & live out of town. Would not send my kids there.

Hi! Wave Wave Wave
I'm not gonna ask what year you graduated because the classes were quite small and I wouldn't give myself away with that! But nice to know there's another one on here!

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:15 am
I went to satmar in monroe. Overall I might be a pretty typical graduate, but no I'm not so much.

I'm much more open minded BH. I have changed quite a lot since I got married. Thanks to my DH who introduced me that there's a world out there besides here.

In general I'm giving over the chinuch I was tought but in a much more open minded version. Hope that makes sense Wink

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:20 am
Bais Yaakov Jewish High in Manchester UK.
I don't think there are any "typical" graduates from there. My class ranged from very frum to very modern and not much has changed now we have all moved on.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:22 am
I'm a survivor of Yeshiva of Spring Valley and a graduate from Bruriah. I do not represent YSV at all, but I'm fairly typical of a Bruriah graduate. It's diverse somewhat, but it's diverse within MO...

Beingreal

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:28 am
I went to Tiferes Miriam in Brooklyn for high school. The best years of my life!

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:32 am
is tiferes miriam a chasidish school? do they have a mix of diffeerent types or only chasidish?

sequoia

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 10:32 am
nicole81 wrote:
I went to Stuyvesant HS.

I am a typical graduate in that I prioritize secular education. However, being a mom has taught me that there's so much more to life and that a strong academic program isn't necessarily what's most important for every child.

Were you happy with your HS experience overall? One hears things about Stuy.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:32 am
I went to Bais Yakov HS, the big one is Boro Park. When I graduated I was a poster child for them. I had a "chasuv" yearbook job (If you went to BY, you'd know what I mean) and I had a "kesher" with all the big teachers.

Today things are very different. I do not suscribe to their hashkafos at all and would never send my daughters there.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:38 am
Amother forestgreen, maybe we're classmates??? How about that??
I graduated over a decade ago Bh.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:41 am
amother wrote:
Bnos yisroel viznitz in monsey.
I do feel like I represent my school. (Except that I have Internet access Wink )

Interestingly, I actually also went to BY visnitz for lower elementary school grades. For various funny reasons. I didn't fit in there and switched out for upper elementary school - to another school that wasn't a good fit either. Then went to BY for high school and found my place, more or less.

So I don't represent either of my elementary schools at all....but I'm frum and raising a frum, more Litvishe-style family. Should be fine with Hashem.

My elementary school years don't have many positive memories for me.

sourstix

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:43 am
Viznitz amothers you may as well introduce yourselves. Is this the point?

Beingreal

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:48 am
Tiferes Miriam had a diverse of people there...chassidish, litvish, lubavitch....all walks of life. I'm actually litvish but I became great friends with a lot of them.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 20 2016, 11:52 am
sourstix wrote:
Viznitz amothers you may as well introduce yourselves. Is this the point?

The OP wants to know where amothers went to school, and whether or not they changed since. There doesn't seem to be any agenda of getting people introduced to others from their past.

Why do you have a gripe against this thread? If you have an problem with it, no one is forcing you to participate.
Page 3 of 24   Previous  1  2  3  4 22  23  24  Next Recent Topics