Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What school did you go to?
  Previous  1  2  3  22  23  24

amother

Post Wed, Aug 03 2016, 11:55 pm
I read the first page and then skipped to last page and had a good laugh. Everything manages to turn into a big debate here. In a quick defense for all the hate the chassidish school system is getting, my hs chemistry, earth science and bio teachers (all regent subjects) were chassidish women with chassidish educations and they were amazing teachers who really understood the subjects they were teaching. I did not attend a chassidish school.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 12:42 am
amother wrote:
I went to satmar, and I am a product of the school. Maybe a bit more open-minded. I will send my kids to satmar.

This! Signing my name too.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 5:14 am
amother wrote:
This! Signing my name too.

as amother?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 04 2016, 7:53 am
amother wrote:
Being resentful about your education because your school didn't offer organic chemistry or astrophysics is very different than being resentful because your school didn't allow you to graduate with an accredited and/or regents high school diploma. Satmar is sending the girls a message that they (the girls) are worse than felons who, as someone mentioned, get their GED in prison. The Satmar girls didn't commit any crimes, don't have unwed teen pregnancies, aren't drinking, doing drugs, and/or involved in gangs, aren't mentally or physically incapable of learning, etc that would prevent them from graduating with a high school diploma so why are they being put in the same category as those who do have the above mentioned issues? And if that's the message they get, that they are no good, then it's a self fulfilling prophecy that leads them astray from yiddishkeit. So while the satmar rebbe had his beliefs on how to educate girls, it may have worked in Der alte heim but it's not useful in America in 2016 when girls are exposed to other things they would not have been exposed to in Europe. And we all know that things can and do change, even in Satmar, so its time to change the girls education (secular and Jewish) as well.

Satmar girls do not get the message that they are no good, and are not leaving yiddishkeit more than any other school.

satmar girls gets the type of job they want to have. None of us are standing behind the counter in Burger King working for minimum wage like all the examples of unqualified people you mentioned.
Page 24 of 24   Previous  1  2  3  22  23  24 Recent Topics