Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Riva Pomerantz is leaving the Mishpacha magazine
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

livinginflatbus

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 11:30 am
Why all the negative talk about ami? As with every business it's competition . Please don't badmouth them

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 11:40 am
I dont know about anyone else but we very much enjoy both ami and mishpacha every week. I dont open them before shabbos, my children are always after me to light earlier so they can read the magazines...
Everyone is entiteled to their opinions though...but remember its just your individual opinion. Not a blanket rule. And not everyone has to agree. There is also something called loshon harah. Lets not forget

besty

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 12:08 pm
each to its own we say! I luv the ami and only buy that I read all 3 magazines from cover to cover and think its a very well written magazine!

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
I dont know about anyone else but we very much enjoy both ami and mishpacha every week. I dont open them before shabbos, my children are always after me to light earlier so they can read the magazines...
Everyone is entiteled to their opinions though...but remember its just your individual opinion. Not a blanket rule. And not everyone has to agree. There is also something called loshon harah. Lets not forget

Ugh hope I don't come off as preachy lol. But just wanted to make sure you knew you should probably be opening it before shabbos, even if you don't read it till after candle lighting. Unless I'm mistaken, but I always thought we weren't allowed to tear the plastic on shabbos.

Of course you might've meant you don't open it as in you don't let them be read till then, in that case never mind!

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 1:30 pm
israel22 wrote:
ugh so sick that she left to that horrible magazine ami. AMI can't make it so they have to steal mishpachas writers ugh. I won't buy there magazine they are a fraud and copy of mishpacha through and through!!!!!!!

Maybe I will consider buying her books but def not buying ami!

Did Ami reject an article written as badly as this post is so you're feeling the need for some childish revenge?

I know Riva and Ami never asked her to join. She parted on good terms because of various reasons that are none of your business and both she and Ami were careful to fulfill her contract before switching.

No magazine owns any writer. "Steal"?! That's ridiculous. She gets to work wherever she feels comfortable and pays her the most.

israel22

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
Did Ami reject an article written as badly as this post is so you're feeling the need for some childish revenge?

I know Riva and Ami never asked her to join. She parted on good terms because of various reasons that are none of your business and both she and Ami were careful to fulfill her contract before switching.

No magazine owns any writer. "Steal"?! That's ridiculous. She gets to work wherever she feels comfortable and pays her the most.

woah bad mouth me anonymously!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow that doesn't hurt one bit if your to coward that you have to post anonymous! AMI is a awful magazine and yes they are stealing writers like esther sender and riva pomerantz and im sure there are more and im sure there will be more so see it as you want but at least show your screen name!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 2:30 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:
Why all the negative talk about ami? As with every business it's competition . Please don't badmouth them

I don't know if you were talking to me since I did say something about her being more unplugged. All I meant was that Ami's edgier, which I think people all agree on.
I didn't know Esther Sender was writing there now. Interesting. Same style?

And something else, not to do with Ami: I mentioned how much I'm enjoying Miriam Zakon's serial. I certainly don't mean to say that there aren't other gifted writers whose work I enjoy/have enjoyed.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 2:37 pm
I'm a big fan of Mishpacha and it saddens me that they seem to be bleeding writers, I don't understand why. Sad Btw, where did azriela Jaffe disappear to???

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 2:43 pm
BTW, the Franfurters who started AMI also worked for Mishpacha. Rechy was the FF editor. I enjoyed her work there. More than in AMI for some reason.

livinginflatbus

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 2:46 pm
Pink fridge I was not referring to you . As a matter of fact theiR openness in discussing topics that were previously taboo is very refreshing . I was referring to the poster who said ami is a terrible magazine..:

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 2:55 pm
Personally, I find Ami to be irresponsible. I don't like a lot of their health features. They have written sheer myths as fact, which I think is just plain tabloid style yellow journalism. I have also disliked them since the Editor's View where Rabbi Frankfurter attacked Yonasan Rosenblum, referring to him as "Jonathan" as though to say, just because you're a ba'al teshuva, I don't have to give your Torah Deios credence. At the time, I wondered if it was sour grapes because maybe he had tried to lure Yonasan Rosenblum away from Mishpacha. Now my speculation is reinforced.

I occasionally buy Ami now, but I cancelled my subscription in protest after that editorial. If I see it and the cover story looks interesting, I buy it, but I subscribe to Binah and Mishpacha. I just lost respect for Ami, and I definitely don't trust their health features!

That being said, I doubt there was anything underhanded about Riva's move. I'm sure when her contract expired, Ami simply offered her more money. It's basic capitalism, right?

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 2:56 pm
israel22 wrote:
ugh so sick that she left to that horrible magazine ami. AMI can't make it so they have to steal mishpachas writers ugh. I won't buy there magazine they are a fraud and copy of mishpacha through and through!!!!!!!

I am not a fan of AMI for various reasons but calling them a fraud and stealing writers is very strong terms, and probably not a fair accusation; unless you have facts to back it up.

A magazine is entitled to pay workers more to get better authors. That is what competition is all about.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 3:35 pm
israel22 wrote:
woah bad mouth me anonymously!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow that doesn't hurt one bit if your to coward that you have to post anonymous! AMI is a awful magazine and yes they are stealing writers like esther sender and riva pomerantz and im sure there are more and im sure there will be more so see it as you want but at least show your screen name!

I assume she went anonymous due to her personal relationship with Riva, and not out of cowardice.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 3:38 pm
israel22 wrote:

Woah.

Steal? As if Riva is a machine that Mishpacha can claim as their own possession and Ami coveted the machine and so stole it in the dead of the night?

Honey, this is business. Employees are free to switch to a place they like better or where they're offered a better deal. And it's only thanks to competition that we can enjoy magazines that keep having to improve and up their quality.

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 3:43 pm
debsey wrote:
Personally, I find Ami to be irresponsible. I don't like a lot of their health features. They have written sheer myths as fact, which I think is just plain tabloid style yellow journalism. I have also disliked them since the Editor's View where Rabbi Frankfurter attacked Yonasan Rosenblum, referring to him as "Jonathan" as though to say, just because you're a ba'al teshuva, I don't have to give your Torah Deios credence. At the time, I wondered if it was sour grapes because maybe he had tried to lure Yonasan Rosenblum away from Mishpacha. Now my speculation is reinforced.

I occasionally buy Ami now, but I cancelled my subscription in protest after that editorial. If I see it and the cover story looks interesting, I buy it, but I subscribe to Binah and Mishpacha. I just lost respect for Ami, and I definitely don't trust their health features!

That being said, I doubt there was anything underhanded about Riva's move. I'm sure when her contract expired, Ami simply offered her more money. It's basic capitalism, right?

100% agree.
I also find them incredibly unprofessional. They include spelling mistakes, bad grammar, typos and many more mistakes (such as one week telling a story about someone called Samantha (I think) and another week refering to someone as Natalie) as well as terrible graphics.
Mishpacha on the whole is a better presented publication as well as being more interesting altogether

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 3:43 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I assume she went anonymous due to her personal relationship with Riva, and not out of cowardice.

Exactly. I prefer not to lose my anonymity.

For someone who has no issue shooting insults, you sure are sensitive.

das

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 3:48 pm
I see Rabbi Rosenblum writing under the name Jonathon all over the web. How is that an insult?

http://www.aish.com/authors/48865672.html

http://www.mishpacha.com/Brows.....nblum

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 4:40 pm
das wrote:
I see Rabbi Rosenblum writing under the name Jonathon all over the web. How is that an insult?

http://www.aish.com/authors/48865672.html

http://www.mishpacha.com/Brows.....nblum

Because it was referring to an article that he wrote under the name Yonasan - and it was attacking his hashkafos. To me, that seemed like a dig. If the guy writes an article as "yonasan" and you are referring to that article, use the name he prefers.

He uses Yonasan in the frum press and Jonathan in the secular press. In the frum press, use the name he's comfortable with.

watergirl

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 4:52 pm
debsey wrote:
Because it was referring to an article that he wrote under the name Yonasan - and it was attacking his hashkafos. To me, that seemed like a dig. If the guy writes an article as "yonasan" and you are referring to that article, use the name he prefers.

He uses Yonasan in the frum press and Jonathan in the secular press. In the frum press, use the name he's comfortable with.

Not so sure about that. We have a mutial friend, who told me that he prefers Jonathan/Yonatan but mishpacha actually insisted on Yonasan.

debsey

Post Thu, Aug 11 2016, 5:07 pm
watergirl wrote:
Not so sure about that. We have a mutial friend, who told me that he prefers Jonathan/Yonatan but mishpacha actually insisted on Yonasan.

When he speaks in front of frum audiences, he refers to himself as Yonasan. Even if he doesn't have the hakpadah, it seems petty of Rabbi Frankfurter. Refer to the author of a piece by the name in which he wrote it.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics