Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What's your secret to a good chicken soup?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Miri7

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 4:45 pm
This is how we do it:

Huge pot (not sure the size, sorry)
most of one chicken, or a chicken bottom.
chopped carrots
chopped onion
chopped celery
3 cubes bullion (the yellow kosher ones)
salt

Add all ingredients to pot of hot water. Bring almost to a boil. Simmer for several hours.
My trick is using a ton of chicken and cooking on a simmer for a really long time so it cooks down into a really rich broth.

I have little ones, so all of the cooked chicken that I don't serve with the soup gets eaten. Others don't like to use so much chicken as it goes to waste in their house.

I like adding dill but my kids don't like it so I omit it these days.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 5:19 pm
I start with a good stock. I make the stock first using two roasted chicken backs. Once they are cooled I cover them with 7 quarts of cold water. I bring that to a simmer, after a few hours you can smell the stock. Turn the heat off and strain. At this point you can use egg white to clarify the stock and make it clear. If you don't want to clarify you can start to make your soup using the veggies you and your family normally prefer, and adding extra cooked chicken if you prefer a meatier soup. Remember soup starts with a good stock,the other ingredients come later.

oliveoil

Post Fri, Oct 28 2016, 5:36 pm
amother wrote:
so many ideas. cant wait to try them. I never used parsley or dill. is there a big difference? they look pretty similar.
do I only use these fresh?

first thing I'll try is cooking on simmer overnight.

thanks ladies.

that's kinda like asking if cucumber and zucchini are different because they look similar :-)

totally different flavors. and yes, only fresh.

Shuly

Post Sat, Oct 29 2016, 1:02 pm
A whole head of garlic, peeled
dill and parsley
simmer for a long time - at least 5 hours

The yellow, Original, Mrs Dash spice also gives it a great flavor and no need for soup mix.

Liebs

Post Sat, Oct 29 2016, 2:10 pm
I let it cook for 10 hours on low flame. Then I shut it and let it sit for a few hours and turn it back on.

chicken bones
carrots
onions
garlic cloves
zuchinni
sweet potato
beet
dill
parsley

finallyamommy

Post Sat, Oct 29 2016, 2:39 pm
I use whatever chicken I have available (scraps, wings, bones, whatever), boil it for at least an hour, and then add the veggies. Onions, carrots, zucchini, butternut squash, beet leaves, dill, salt.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sat, Oct 29 2016, 3:07 pm
My chicken soup is a multi-day activity.
First I make the bone broth. I start with a ziplock full of chicken backs, necks and wings (I only buy whole chickens, and when I cook chicken for my family, I add those parts to a ziplock in the freezer until I have enough). I dump it all into the crockpot, cover with water, and add a splash of vinegar. Put it on low, and cook for 12-18 hours.
Turn off the crockpot, let it cool, and strain the broth through a cheesecloth. If I did it right, when the broth is refrigerated it will become semisolid like jelly. If not, it's still delicious but not quite as good.

Make chicken soup using this recipe https://smittenkitchen.com/201.....soup/ Take out the physical chicken, let it cool, and shred it. Put everything back in and finally I have chicken soup.

This takes a minimum of two days, usually closer to three because of all the cooling down periods. I also will skim the final product if I used chicken legs and not thighs in the soup, which means another cooling down period.
It's a patchka, but it's absolutely delicious.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Oct 29 2016, 8:45 pm
Shirley Temple, I do it that way for convenience. Sometimes I'll put the chicken, veg, etc. in a separate container and then add to the fat-skimmed soup before freezing.

And I haven't see turkey pupiks in ages either. Turkey necks and any parts make for a fabulous flavor too.

And, I've made crockpot soup. Wonderful if you make it weekly, or don't want to make a large quantity.

iammom

Post Sat, Oct 29 2016, 9:10 pm
I also let it simmer for min 6 hours but I recently discovered that if I let it boil on high first for a half hour and then lower to a simmer it really brings out the chicken taste.
😋

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Oct 29 2016, 9:15 pm
amother wrote:
so many ideas. cant wait to try them. I never used parsley or dill. is there a big difference? they look pretty similar.
do I only use these fresh?

first thing I'll try is cooking on simmer overnight.

thanks ladies.

Gizzards are the way to go, plus veggies and other chicken parts. Do not salt though cuz gizzards are salty.
My soup is heavenly!

squirrel

Post Sat, Oct 29 2016, 9:56 pm
Marrow bone is a must!
Turkey neck
Chicken
Lg Carrots
Squash
Lg onion
Sweet potato
Fresh garlic
Salt and pepper

esther11

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 1:10 am
I agree with simmering/cooking for as long as possible!

I think the most important veg are sweet potato, parsnip, and onion. They all add a lot of flavor to soup.

But all together here is what I include:

Chicken bottoms
Carrots
Sweet potato
Celery
Zucchini
Parsnip
Onion
Sliced garlic
Parsley
Dill
Salt
Pepper
Onion powder
Paprika

simchah

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 2:17 am
the leaves of the celerey and dill

Carmen Luna

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 2:26 am
The secret is lots of turkey necks.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 5:52 am
Put chicken necks in the pot on a medium flame. 'Fry' them until the juices come out and it cooks a little. Then you can add the water, a whole onion, salt, pepper. Cook on low for a few hours or more. In my experience the first step is what brings out the flavor, it doesn't need to cook for hours and hours to get the flavor.

This will give you a basic clear amazing tasting soup. You can add other vegetables if you wish.

sky

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 7:17 am
Lots of vegetables (parsnip, turnip and onion especially give a lot of flavor).
The more bones\chicken gives more taste. But I find if I cook it a very long time it doesn't need a ton.
Cook for a very long time.
Correct amount of salt.

sourstix

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 7:56 am
12 qt pot
Chicken quarter s
Turkey necks/drumsticks
Then I fill up with all vegetables,fresh dill a must. And the other vegetables everyone mentioned including root celery.

Fill till top and then add water. Cook till chicken and vegetables are soft and soup is golden! Enjoy! Usually 3-4 hrs. Of course include salt. 2 tablespoons

Yum. Leave the dill there and don't chop as it
Loses strength. Then freeze but I get rid of chicke and vegetables. We don't like it frozen. I just use soup lukshe. Yum!

momofqts

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 8:01 am
Lots of chicken (not only bones ( and carrots

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 8:48 am
amother wrote:
My chicken soup is a multi-day activity.
First I make the bone broth. I start with a ziplock full of chicken backs, necks and wings (I only buy whole chickens, and when I cook chicken for my family, I add those parts to a ziplock in the freezer until I have enough). I dump it all into the crockpot, cover with water, and add a splash of vinegar. Put it on low, and cook for 12-18 hours.
Turn off the crockpot, let it cool, and strain the broth through a cheesecloth. If I did it right, when the broth is refrigerated it will become semisolid like jelly. If not, it's still delicious but not quite as good.

Make chicken soup using this recipe https://smittenkitchen.com/201.....soup/ Take out the physical chicken, let it cool, and shred it. Put everything back in and finally I have chicken soup.

This takes a minimum of two days, usually closer to three because of all the cooling down periods. I also will skim the final product if I used chicken legs and not thighs in the soup, which means another cooling down period.
It's a patchka, but it's absolutely delicious.

Goodness gracious!!

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Oct 30 2016, 11:05 am
I use chicken bones and bring to a boil.
Then I skim the fat off as much as possible.

Then I add my vegetables.
Lots of carrots and parsnips are a must!
Usually add some celery, but not always.
sometimes add some zucchini, but not always.
Sometimes add some butternut squash, but usually not. (when I do though, it is wonderful.
Usually add an onion, unless I forgot.
Sometimes add some garlic cloves if I have and if I remember.

Then I add the spices.
Lots of salt
Pepper
Tumeric (this is my secret ingredient.)
sometimes I add parsley.

Cook on a low temperature all day.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen