Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do people in Boro Park work?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

yidisheh mama

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 9:35 am
I work, husband is currently looking for a job, my parents both work, father in law works, both my grandparents here work, my uncles living in bp work, and pretty much most men I know that have kids are working to support their families.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 9:54 am
Any city you go to you'll see men during the day. Try Monsey, willi, & as some mentions Manhattan is always swarming with people.
Same goes for LA, Florida or wherever you go.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 9:57 am
amother wrote:
I specifically stated I wasn't judging. I'm not from around that area and to me it looked weird because it's something I've never seen.

I know what you stated. Youve really never been to manhattan?

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 10:02 am
Lawngreen, where on earth are you from? The only populated places where you don't see people in the streets midday are bedroom communities. In real places, and especially densely populated areas like NYC, the only time you DON'T see the streets teeming with people is in the middle of the night--maybe.

Now if you said that when you visit BP you see scores of men playing poker or sunning themselves or reading the racing sheets, then and only then would your question make sense.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 10:53 am
Many women in BP do not work. Many do but I would say an equal amount don't.
I totally understand what you mean by what you see.
I find that there are many men who literally look like they are hanging out. The thing is many men here have jobs in realty management or sales etc which gives them the time to hang around the Ice cream house with their friends whilst on their phones for work.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 11:28 am
amother wrote:
Why is that funny?

Only that the op seems to have the exact opposite view.

sourstix

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 12:16 pm
there are also a ton of banks. guess whos going there. (the men) the women too. shhh dont talk about the women. they are at work or dealing with crancky babies

its a city you will automatically see more people in a city. and alot of people dont use their cars on 13th ave, its just simply not possible to drive there.

so you see alot of men

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 12:20 pm
zaq wrote:
Lawngreen, where on earth are you from? The only populated places where you don't see people in the streets midday are bedroom communities. In real places, and especially densely populated areas like NYC, the only time you DON'T see the streets teeming with people is in the middle of the night--maybe.

Bedroom communities aren't real? I think outside of Brooklyn, most religious Jews live in suburbs where people commute to work and so there aren't many men around during the day. So Boro Park looks odd. That's all.

debsey

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 12:26 pm
I was just coming on here to post what Tangerine said - OP probably lives in the suburbs. There's no one around during the day in the suburbs. You know why? Because they're all in urban or commercial districts. Like Manhattan. Or, Boro Park perhaps!

I was in a suburb of Connecticut during the day on business. The streets were deserted. The suburb was on a direct rail line to Manhattan. No one was there because they were all at work! In Manhattan!

And when you work in Manhattan, that's where you run your errands, go out to lunch, go from building to building for meetings, etc. Same goes for Boro Park.

Dandelion1

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
I specifically stated I wasn't judging. I'm not from around that area and to me it looked weird because it's something I've never seen.

You did specifically state that. Nonetheless, the question comes off as an attempt to "innocently" start a heated debate about Jewish men in Boro park and whether they are working vs. learning or saying they are learning but not really learning or not working and taking welfare or do their wives work, or who supports who and how, etc etc.

So it doesn't really come across as a sincere question because it is hard to believe that anyone here doesn't know that it is a much debated and sensitive issue which will end up hurting and insulting many people with a variety of different lifestyles.

It's also hard to believe that it is just an innocent question because Brooklyn as a whole (and certainly Manhattan) is an urban area which is teaming with people of all ages and genders at all hours for a million different reasons as stated above.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 1:02 pm
aleph wrote:
You did specifically state that. Nonetheless, the question comes off as an attempt to "innocently" start a heated debate about Jewish men in Boro park and whether they are working vs. learning or saying they are learning but not really learning or not working and taking welfare or do their wives work, or who supports who and how, etc etc.

So it doesn't really come across as a sincere question because it is hard to believe that anyone here doesn't know that it is a much debated and sensitive issue which will end up hurting and insulting many people with a variety of different lifestyles.

It's also hard to believe that it is just an innocent question because Brooklyn as a whole (and certainly Manhattan) is an urban area which is teaming with people of all ages and genders at all hours for a million different reasons as stated above.

Well said!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 1:14 pm
aleph wrote:

I am from the suburbs and I've been to Brooklyn 3 times total my whole life. I've been to manhattan about the same amount of times- in manhattan there are people of all ages, races and genders around, so no one "type" sticks out to me. There are a lot of college students and immigrants. I've never seen in one area so many of the same gender, religion and age range around and so I was asking! I'm new to this site so no, I don't know about heated welfare debates but I will search for it and maybe gain more clarity.

sky

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 1:31 pm
I do find life in the suburbs very different than life in the city.

Growing up my parents got in the car - drove to work - and stayed there until they came home.

I find Lakewood\NY\Manhattan very different then that in my sense. Many people have their own businesses, have jobs that require travel, running around, meeting. When I first moved here it was so foreign to me, I still find the crowded shops during the week so strange.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 2:03 pm
amother wrote:

Time to come out of the insular box and see a world where some people work some don't, some are sahm and some wander the streets to keep themselves occupied. some run around doing chessed some work behind closed doors for many hours. Our world is very colorful and that's the beauty. We accept everyone for who they are and for what they contribute to society.

Dandelion1

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:
I am from the suburbs and I've been to Brooklyn 3 times total my whole life. I've been to manhattan about the same amount of times- in manhattan there are people of all ages, races and genders around, so no one "type" sticks out to me. There are a lot of college students and immigrants. I've never seen in one area so many of the same gender, religion and age range around and so I was asking! I'm new to this site so no, I don't know about heated welfare debates but I will search for it and maybe gain more clarity.

If I misjudged I do apologize.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 3:31 pm
My friends and I used to go out for lunch quite often when I worked near 13 avenue in Boro Park.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 3:35 pm
Comparing Boro Park and Lakewood? (thats a suburb) to Manhattan is a bit of a false comparison, since Manhattan is full of tourists as well as lots of performers who have odd schedules (comics, actors, dancers).

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 3:46 pm
Lakewood is relatively quiet during the day. It gets somewhat busier after 2/3 in the afternoon with the part time working moms getting out of work and bein hasdarim for the kolel men.

rainbow dash

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 5:03 pm
My sil is a teacher and my bil works at b and h. They live in boro park. I dont work but my dh does. 2 jobs both self employed

sequoia

Post Mon, Oct 31 2016, 5:08 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
My sil is a teacher and my bil works at b and h. They live in boro park. I dont work but my dh does. 2 jobs both self employed

? You're in BP?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics