Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Female presidential candidate?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Maya

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 6:23 pm
gold21 wrote:
KellyAnne Conway

Really? So interesting that you'd think of her. She's not a political figure.

youngishbear

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 6:25 pm
Maya wrote:
Really? So interesting that you'd think of her. She's not a political figure.

Isn't that the point?

Outsiders.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 6:27 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Fundamentalist evangelical Xtians have very set rules about what the biblical role of woman is, within the home and in society. We can say that yes our religion has rules such as these as well. In fundamentalist evangelical sects rules are specific about women speaking out publicly esp. when it comes to political issues, no less running for office. I am not talking about mainstream evangelicals like the Evangelical Lutherans, Evangelical Quakers,Evangelical Presbyterians, I'm talking about sects like the Jehovah's Witnesses, Primitive Baptists, the Nazarenes, some Anabaptists,Pentecostals and the Holiness churches to name a few. I live in an area where there is a plentitude of fundamentalist evangelicals, many more than mainstream Xtian sects.

My impression is that they must be a small minority of evangelicals. This after hearing Jerry Falwell Jr. ad nauseum talk about how endorsing Trump is fine because we have to render unto Caesar, etc. (And they endorsed fairly early.)

Last edited by PinkFridge on Sat, Nov 12 2016, 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Maya

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 6:28 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Isn't that the point?

Outsiders.

Don't you mean inexperienced, incompetent outsiders? Ms. Conway is nothing more than a campaign manager. What indication is there that she'd make a good president?

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 6:30 pm
rfeig613 wrote:
Sarah Palin already shot herself in the foot, so I'd view that as a liability
Ivanka Kushner in about 10 years
Condoleeza Rice
Joni Ernst
Ileana Ros Lehtinen
Elizabeth Dole

Elizabeth Warren from the Dems

Sara Palin, no way.
And you'd vote for Elizabeth Warren? (?!?!)

youngishbear

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 6:38 pm
Maya wrote:
Don't you mean inexperienced, incompetent outsiders? Ms. Conway is nothing more than a campaign manager. What indication is there that she'd make a good president?

They picked Donald.

After that, I don't think your questions are still relevant.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 7:31 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
My impression is that they must be a small minority of evangelicals. This after hearing Jerry Falwell Jr. ad nauseum talk about how endorsing Trump is fine because we have to render unto Caesar, etc. (And they endorsed fairly early.)

The Falwells are Southern Baptists and although Jerry Sr. had a Southern Baptist ministry church, there is not indication the Jr. has a pulpit. He is president of Liberty U but that isn't the same as a pulpit. Most folks consider the SBC to be a mainstream Protestant and although women cannot preach in SBC churches the SBC did support Palins run for office. SBC churches are pretty autonomous as long as they fall in line with the SBC I don't think it's unrealistic to think that some of the more conservative SBC churches would not support a woman running for office. One was in the news during the last election cycle because the minister maintained that woman in his church should not be voting. Some SBC churches that do support a womans right to vote but she should vote the way her husband tells her. Family voting is very prominent in some evangelical churches, that is the father get's to decide who everyone votes for.

I think it was Forbes that had a rather indepth story about the evangelical support for our president elect.

shoshanim999

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 8:27 pm
How about Oprah Winfrey? She's not a politician but this election proves that that doesn't disqualify. She would dominate the minority vote. She is loved by everyone. I honestly think she could win if she ran.

WhatFor

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 8:35 pm
Tulsi Gabbard
Elizabeth Warren

youngishbear

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 8:54 pm
Let's not forget Marina!

(Sorry for posting this but I had to change the thread from appearing as "Female presidential candidate? whatfor")

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 8:55 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Let's not forget Marina!

(Sorry for posting this but I had to change the thread from appearing as "Female presidential candidate? whatfor")

Aw heck I'd vote for Marina Very Happy

Coffee Addict

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 9:06 pm
Ellen degeneres! I love her Very Happy

gold21

Post Sat, Nov 12 2016, 11:13 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Isn't that the point?

Outsiders.

You got it. Wink

Im not saying she would make an amazing president, it was really just a thought. I would have to do more research on her.

I thought Hilary Clinton was a good candidate too.

I think Ivanka Trump would be a good candidate, but she's young and raising a young family right now. She's also gorgeous and I would worry that she would have to deal with all kinds of sexism ("too pretty to take seriously" type of attitude) as she would attempt to break that glass ceiling, and politics is hard enough without the added misogyny.

Definitely NOT Sarah Palin. Argh.

treestump

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 1:55 am
I'd love to vote for Elizabeth Warren. I was hoping Hillary would choose her as vp.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 5:10 am
MagentaYenta wrote:

I think it was Forbes that had a rather indepth story about the evangelical support for our president elect.

Interesting (the part I snipped).
I'll see if I can find Forbes at the library, I have a vague morbid fascination with and concrete distaste for the subject.
I can understand voting for Trump, as I said, my vote for Trump would have been/was (still not saying Wink ) a vote for Pence vs. Kaine, since I don't know if either Trump or Clinton would last a full-term, but I am disheartened by pre-convention support for Trump.
Back to the topic, sure, it'll be great to see a female president one day but Clinton is not the one who deserved to break that ceiling.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 7:36 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
How about Oprah Winfrey? She's not a politician but this election proves that that doesn't disqualify. She would dominate the minority vote. She is loved by everyone. I honestly think she could win if she ran.

I don't know if she'd be a great president but she certainly could be elected. I wouldn't be surprised if this actually came to fruition.

rfeig613

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Sara Palin, no way.
And you'd vote for Elizabeth Warren? (?!?!)

Read what I said. Palin is a liability. I like her but not for the presidency.

Warren would be ideal for the Democrats. Is never vote for her, but she would be highly competitive.

Kellyanne Conway is a woman I respect deeply.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:21 pm
Feinstein or Boxer, both of whom I know personally.
Elizabeth Warren could be a strong Democratic candidate, but would not be a centrist.

rfeig613

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:21 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
The Falwells are Southern Baptists and although Jerry Sr. had a Southern Baptist ministry church, there is not indication the Jr. has a pulpit. He is president of Liberty U but that isn't the same as a pulpit. Most folks consider the SBC to be a mainstream Protestant and although women cannot preach in SBC churches the SBC did support Palins run for office. SBC churches are pretty autonomous as long as they fall in line with the SBC I don't think it's unrealistic to think that some of the more conservative SBC churches would not support a woman running for office. One was in the news during the last election cycle because the minister maintained that woman in his church should not be voting. Some SBC churches that do support a womans right to vote but she should vote the way her husband tells her. Family voting is very prominent in some evangelical churches, that is the father get's to decide who everyone votes for.

I'm opposed to all feminism. I'm opposed to a woman president because it's incompatible with Jewish values. Serarah. Lehavdil, it's why a president must be born here, like how a ger cannot have Serarah.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 13 2016, 2:26 pm
rfeig613 wrote:
I'm opposed to all feminism. I'm opposed to a woman president because it's incompatible with Jewish values. Serarah. Lehavdil, it's why a president must be born here, like how a ger cannot have Serarah.

Don't forget Mr. Obama while you're at it. With Kenya (no, not really but I can't resist) that makes two strikes against him.
And glad to know your husband's generous enough to let you hang here Very Happy
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics