Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Is Steve Bannon really anti-semitic?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

WhatFor

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 10:00 pm
Fox wrote:
I find it both funny and odd that the alt-Right and Breitbart have become such big issues here lately. I don't remember them coming up before unless I or one of a handful of other Imamothers mentioned them.

Well you're right, I wasn't concerned about the alt-right or Breitbart until they came into the White House. Then I got curious. I appreciate the input.

Marina- where did you see the police report?

Ah, nm. Here it is: https://newsroom.smgov.net/Med.....t.pdf

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 10:44 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Fox, why in the world are you saying that Trump is unequivocal in his support of Israel? Because he said he'd be even-handed in his treatment of Israel and Palestine? Because he has said repeatedly that he doesn't want to give out lots of free handouts to countries?

RW Orthodox Jews have drunk Trump's Kool Aid, but they're not particularly convincing when they try to explain why they think Trump is so great.

I posted this, but nobody responded. http://www.imamother.com/forum.....ight=

gold21

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 10:48 pm
I'm not particularly worried about Bannon. I'm looking at the whole picture... Kushner has a lot of influence on his father in law and if Bannon was a total creep, I don't think he would have been given the position. (They say that's how Chris Christie went down.... Kushner didn't trust him)

Did I believe that Obama was an anti Semite because of his affiliations with a controversial pastor, or that he was born in another country because he didn't publicize his birth certificate? No. I just don't buy into these types of things. Im just not into conspiracy theories.

If there is ever good reason for me to doubt Bannon, or Trump, or whoever, I will. (For example, if Trump were proven guilty of some of the charges levelled against him by female associates, that would change my opinion of him. But that has not happened, and I honestly doubt that it ever will.) I'm going to go with my gut and intuition on this. I never liked Christie, he seemed sleazy to me, and I'm not surprised by Bridgegate. I'm open to seeing good things from Brannon.... But if I ever have reason to dislike him, I will change my mind.

Last edited by gold21 on Mon, Nov 14 2016, 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fox

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 10:51 pm
Well, just for the record, I do not babysit Martin Shkreli's cat. Though I will admit to occasionally joining the livestream to see who is catsitting.

It's pretty amusing to watch some of the best-known trolls on the Internet trading insults until the cat moves, at which point they all start panicking and try to decide what to do. Not quite as amusing as the prospect of Milo putting NYT and WaPo reporters in the back, making them ask fashion questions on Tuesdays, and only taking questions from journalists wearing pink on Wednesdays. And for sure not as amusing as the nurse saying to Blaire White, "Honey, I'm gonna need the date of your LMP on this form." But it's a cold world, and I take cheap laughs where I can get them.

rfeig613

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 10:59 pm
The White House should not grant any media passes to anyone from the left wing media. No NY Slimes, which is viciously anti-semitic, no WaPo, no MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN. Just the NY Post, Boston Herald, Washington Times, Fox News, Breitbart, WSJ, Jerusalem Post, and non-hostile, fair and balanced news sources.

If the Republicans all agreed to not appear on CNN, or any other liberal news, their stocks would plummet and that would be a great way to destroy them legally and at no cost.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 11:14 pm
rfeig613 wrote:
The White House should not grant any media passes to anyone from the left wing media. No NY Slimes, which is viciously anti-semitic, no WaPo, no MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN. Just the NY Post, Boston Herald, Washington Times, Fox News, Breitbart, WSJ, Jerusalem Post, and non-hostile, fair and balanced news sources.

If the Republicans all agreed to not appear on CNN, or any other liberal news, their stocks would plummet and that would be a great way to destroy them legally and at no cost.

Thank goodness the White House is not Congress.

Funny how in your rush to get to the second amendment you missed this one:

Amendment I.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Fox

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 11:22 pm
rfeig613 wrote:
The White House should not grant any media passes to anyone from the left wing media. No NY Slimes, which is viciously anti-semitic, no WaPo, no MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN.

No, that misses the whole trolling aspect of Trump's relationship with the MSM. Being friendly, respectful, and transparent while making them ask fashion questions on Tuesdays and wear pink on Wednesdays is the essence of media trolling. The point is to act appropriately -- even commendably -- while simultaneously undermining the media's sense of entitlement and self-righteousness.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Nov 14 2016, 11:48 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Thank goodness the White House is not Congress.

Funny how in your rush to get to the second amendment you missed this one:

Amendment I.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The president elect has made it a point to limit press access since his victorious election. Most prominent was his refusal to have a small press pool travel with him to the White House to meet President Obama. During his campaign he refused to have press pools travel with him while flying to events. He has been unresponsive to even the AP. He has restricted press access at many of his campaign appearances.

I would not be happy with press access to the president or congress and it's members being limited or restricted. I hope that once the president elect is inaugurated he will return to the press coverage that America has depended on over the years, pools and equal access to reporters.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/......html

gold21

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 12:07 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
The president elect has made it a point to limit press access since his victorious election. Most prominent was his refusal to have a small press pool travel with him to the White House to meet President Obama. During his campaign he refused to have press pools travel with him while flying to events. He has been unresponsive to even the AP. He has restricted press access at many of his campaign appearances.

I would not be happy with press access to the president or congress and it's members being limited or restricted. I hope that once the president elect is inaugurated he will return to the press coverage that America has depended on over the years, pools and equal access to reporters.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/......html

The press treats him terribly. I have no interest in hearing twisted stories from a biased media that clearly has it out for him. Maybe they should clean up their act and theyll be granted more access....

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 12:13 am
gold21 wrote:
The press treats him terribly. I have no interest in hearing twisted stories from a biased media that clearly has it out for him. Maybe they should clean up their act and theyll be granted more access....

My preference is to read varied coverage, even POVs that I may disagree with so that I can make up my own mind. Stifling the press isn't consistent with past presidents of any party, they all seem to have valued access in spite of the different POVs.

I do hope that our president elect mediates his views on press access. History has far too many examples of what happens when a nations people are only given one POV due to press restrictions.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 12:38 am
http://www.truthrevolt.org/com.....eople

David Horowitz has some pointed words on the subject.

Miri7

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 12:38 am
rfeig613 wrote:

Well, despite having limited press contact in the past few days, looks like Donald did take the time to reach out to Alex Jones to ask him to pass along a message of thanks to Mr. Jones' listeners.

But don't be concerned - Mr. Jones assured his listeners that he isn't anti- Semitic, despite his conspiracy theory about the Jewish Maria running the world. Whew! And to think I was worried!!

http://www.salon.com/2016/11/1.....wars/

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 12:47 am
Speaking of anti-semitism, does any of this bother you? If not, why? He's the top pick for the new DNC chair.
http://www.truthrevolt.org/new.....irman
http://www.investigativeprojec.....port#

One of his top supporters.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 1:11 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Speaking of anti-semitism, does any of this bother you? If not, why? He's the top pick for the new DNC chair.
http://www.truthrevolt.org/new.....irman
http://www.investigativeprojec.....port#

One of his top supporters.

Hey FF- I'm trying to keep this thread on topic of White House Chief Strategist appointee Steve Bannon. If you want to start a discussion about someone else being anti-semitic, can you please do a spinoff? Thank you!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 1:35 am
WhatFor wrote:
Hey FF- I'm trying to keep this thread on topic of White House Chief Strategist appointee Steve Bannon. If you want to start a discussion about someone else being anti-semitic, can you please do a spinoff? Thank you!

Sorry about that. This thread has been derailed so many times, it's like a pile up at Grand Central Station. I thought my point was relevant. *shrug*

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 1:48 am
Steve Bannon is an accomplished executive (Goldman Sachs investment banker and later started an investment banking firm and was CEO of Affinity media ) and leader who is well-connected and experienced.

More importantly, he isn't afraid to get down and dirty when he needs to.

Which is what will be needed to deal with the manic leftist PR branch of the DNC into which the mainstream media has mutated.

His success in leading the brash and troll-y Breitbart site as an alternative to the leftist mainstream media makes him well-suited for this role as White House Strategist.

Is he an anti-Semite who will influence DJT to enact anti-Semitic policies? I don't think so.

- The Breitbart Jerusalem site is quite strongly pro-Israel.

- I do think the site doesn't explicitly condemn the alt-right, because they know that they are loyal readers. And that's a huge blot on his record. Just like the mainstream media and the DNC will always be super-critical of Israel because they know that some not insignificant portion of their far-left base is anti-Israel (witness the Palestinian flag-waving among participants at the DNC convention).

- In any case, *even if* Bannon has personal anti-Semitic leanings, they will be placed firmly in check by the other members of Trump's team : Mike Pence, John Bolton, Newt Gingrich (assuming he plays a role), etc.

BTW, it can become confusing the discuss who is anti-Semitic when you have organizations like J-Street calling Bannon an anti-Semite. I would call J-Street anti-Semitic, so why should I value their opinion on the matter? Currently, leftist anti-Semitism is far more virulent -- in the media -- on college campuses, in Europe, in the UN -- than the marginalized anti-Semitism from the alt-right.

As an aside, I think someone like Rev Jeremiah Wright -- whose sermons Obama voluntarily attended for 2 decades -- is far more of an anti-Semite than Steve Bannon.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 7:21 am
I am also curious whether the ADL and J-Street have condemned the choice of Keith Ellison for the head of the DNC. He is a known supporter of Muslim Brotherhood-linked CAIR.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 8:58 am
Miri7 wrote:
Thanks for your explanation!

But I think that we agree that racial epithets, telling individuals to go home/get deported because of their skin color, painting swasticas, are objectively bigoted. I'm concerned that people I know have reported such happening to them, their children and their fellow shul members in just the past couple of days. (These are all incidents I know of firsthand from the individuals affected, not from the media.)

I could get why people may say "I am so glad I don't have to be so PC anymore!" But it seems that a number of people are then going all the way to the other end of the spectrum and engaging in outright bigotry.

We are visiting family in a red state next week and DH told me that he's uncomfortable being visibly Jewish when we go to museums, etc. He told me to be sure all the boys pack baseball hats. He will be trying to pass as a hipster with a "cool" hat or baseball cap.

ETA - I'm not sure why Fox's quote didn't appear correctly.

I assume you mean a red state with a perceived red neck population? You don't have to answer, you're entitled to your privacy.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 9:06 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
The unintended consequences of the end of PC.

I missed this till it was quoted on p. 2
We have a lot to be grateful to PC for. Seriously. We have a concept of onaas devarim that PC seems to dovetail with. But we must not confuse them. PC as it's developed is not always pretty.

This reminds me of something I learned about the god of Mitzrayim being a sheep. What a weenie god! Give me an eagle, a lion, etc., right? But the people of Mitzrayim actually had good intentions. They stood up for the meek, and the underdog. The problem arises when standing up for the underdog is the knee-jerk, default reaction without looking at the greater circumstances. As the Jews multiplied dramatically, even while living peacefully, that made the Mitzriyim consider themselves the hapless underdog minority so in their eyes they were morally correct in oppressing the perceived oppressors.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 9:09 am
rfeig613 wrote:

WADR, this might take the cake.
And if the tables were turned? Are you old enough to remember bipartisanship?
Trump HAS to be gracious now. We might be uncomfortable with some of his appointments but overall I think there will be more balance than we expect.
Page 3 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics