Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Have you ever heard of a Simchat Bat?
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 3:40 pm
Google translate those http://gamzouletova.blogspot.f......html

http://gamzouletova.blogspot.f......html

Nothing new. shrug not allowed LOL

BrachaBatya

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 9:41 pm
I've attended many of them. We had them for our daughters, too. Wonderful experiences.

amother
cornflower

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 10:33 pm
it will most likely be mixed gender which would be a problem. I don't believe it will be at a shul but at a hall and no mechitza. she is reform as I said so they do things that we don't. but I won't ever ask her to put up a mechitza. I'd just rather not go but still send a gift.

shabbatiscoming wrote:
First of all, just because you dont do something in your community does not mean it is not halachically acceptable. Just pointing that out.
Also, what does your husband think is wrong that he thinks you shouldnt go?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Nov 26 2016, 11:45 pm
amother wrote:
it will most likely be mixed gender which would be a problem. I don't believe it will be at a shul but at a hall and no mechitza. she is reform as I said so they do things that we don't. but I won't ever ask her to put up a mechitza. I'd just rather not go but still send a gift.

So you wouldn't go to any event they hosted. Whether it's a simchat bat is irrelevant.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:43 am
amother wrote:

What amother hotpink said.
If you veto events based on the fact they are mixed gender, you would be vetoing a lot of very dati, orthodox events, some of whom don't put up a mechitza for seating.
Absolutely nothing to do with reform.
Just send a gift if you are so uncomfortable going. (If I recall correctly, this is a friend, not family, right?)

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:49 am
I believe op was simply asking what to expect at such an event. Yes, some orthodox and dati events have mixed seating. But if it was an event that featured dancing or praying, having mixed seating and being mechitza-less could pose a bit more of a problem.

smileyfaces

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 1:50 am
Yes, I've heard of it. It's similar to a baby kiddush.

moonstone

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 4:49 am
Sure, they're very popular here in Israel. Lovely excuse for a party. Very Happy

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 8:55 am
amother wrote:
I believe op was simply asking what to expect at such an event. Yes, some orthodox and dati events have mixed seating. But if it was an event that featured dancing or praying, having mixed seating and being mechitza-less could pose a bit more of a problem.

I've never been to a simchat bat with dancing. If there is davening, just daven by yourself in the corner. Anyhow, in principle, the mechitzah is for men's benefit, women can daven wherever.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 10:19 am
A simchat bat is like the party for a bris. A lovely brunch with some speeches. Why would you need a mechitza for that?

supermamma

Post Sun, Nov 27 2016, 8:03 pm
Would you consider going alone without dh that would really take care of the mechitzah issue as it is more for men Not to see immodest women. That way you can show your friend? Relative? Love, friendship, acceptance, care etc

sweetpotato

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 11:18 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeved_habat

Every simchat bat (Ashkenazi) I have been to, including for my two daughters, has been basically the same. Sometimes it's done the same day as the baby naming in shul, in which case the baby naming happens during shacharit like normal, and afterwards there's bagels and cookies and people celebrate the baby girl. Sometimes the father or mother gives a short speech explaining who the baby is named for or what the name signifies, or expressing thanks and hope for brachot for the new baby. A lovely simchat bat I attended had special people in the baby's life each say part of the tehillim for the name.

Sometimes the simchat bat is separate from the baby naming, especially if the baby naming is done right away after the birth, and the parents want to make a party later on when the mother is feeling better, out of town family can come in, etc. That's what we did by my first. It's just a party: bagels, cookies, cake, etc. Parents might give short speech about the name meaning.

I don't know what they do in a reform setting but as for mixed gender, etc., yes, that goes without saying. You can ask your cousin if they will be having shacharit (or judge by the time of day the simchat bat is called for) and/or doing the formal naming with Torah aliyot. If so, you'll have to judge whether you are allowed to attend a non-Orthodox prayer service with a Torah, etc. If they are just reading tehillim or giving prayers/invocations in English, which may be likely in a Reform setting, then it's not really davening in a sense that requires a mechitza.

You can also attend late to ensure you will just be there for the party part, and avoid any liturgical aspects, but still be a part of the simcha.

pause

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 11:32 am
So weird to call it a britta...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics