Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Help me like the name esther
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shevi82

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 4:15 am
I love the name. It sounds royal to me....

happyone

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 7:17 am
It's by far my favorite name.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 7:57 am
I don't get this at all. It doesn't matter how many people like the name, OP. You don't. No one can "make" you like it. Just choose something you like. You carried this child and will give birth to her. You have a say.

emmastar

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 1:21 pm
Esther means "Star" in Persian (from Ishtar). It was originally a Persian name. In Hebrew it means hidden. Its a gorgeous name!

agreer

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 4:16 pm
I named my child after my grandparent.

I never thought about the name, and I didn't "love" it, but now that my baby has that name, it's my favorite! I notice it everywhere.

However, I did not HATE the name. If I hated the name, I would never have used it.

It seems that your hate is based on a misunderstanding of the name. Now that it has been clarified that it is not "I will hide" (in a bad way) but rather "hidden" (in a good way), do you still hate the name?

If yes, don't name your daughter Esther.

If no, think about it.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 8:08 pm
I love the name Ester. I always think to myself that if I ever have a daughter I would love to name her Ester. It's such a beautiful regal name.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 8:15 pm
It means hidden, not I will hide.
so different. like someone mentioned previously hidden bracha, hidden joy...

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 8:37 pm
Try not to think of the meaning as much as the story of Esther. What an amazing, strong, yiras shmayim woman Esther Hamalka was, wouldn't you love your daughter to emulate and aspire to those traits?

Signed,
Someone named Esther

rachelbg

Post Thu, Dec 29 2016, 11:43 pm
I love the nickname Essie!

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 3:24 am
E-sa-ter. I will hide.
Maybe I'm just looking too much into the dikduk?
Ive decided to just accept that it means hidden and maybe one day I'll be ok with it. I hated my other daughter's name as well and I've come to accept it.
Thanks.

Blue jay

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 9:30 am
Here is another big vote for Esther!

Esther the "hidden" super Jewish Heroine!

She saved the Jewish people with her bravery!

and it is a beautiful sounding name. All the Esther's I know are amazing and beautiful people!

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 9:33 am
amother wrote:
E-sa-ter. I will hide.
Ive decided to just accept that it means hidden and maybe one day I'll be ok with it. I hated my other daughter's name as well and I've come to accept it.
Thanks.

Well then maybe just focus on the fact that it's a Persian name originally, not Hebrew, and focus on the Persian meaning, star. As poster Emmastar wrote,
Quote:
Esther means "Star" in Persian (from Ishtar). It was originally a Persian name.

I think that's beautiful!

Simple1

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 9:47 am
It's a very nice name.

On a practical level, it is very easy for non-Jews to pronounce.

iyar

Post Fri, Dec 30 2016, 10:20 am
The name Esther alludes to the miracles, beauty and joy hidden behind the facade of the physical objects in this world.
When you hold your little newborn and think of the beautiful life ahead all hidden in that tiny soft bundle, you might realize it's the perfect name for her.
Also, when you say you have to give the name, I'm thinking you must be naming after a relative who passed away. There is a z'chus to your baby from that neshama, and certainly a great z'chus to both you and your baby from bringing comfort to the surviving family members when your daughter carries on the name.

salt

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 2:26 am
amother wrote:
E-sa-ter. I will hide.
Thanks.

I will hide in Hebrew is "astir" - אסתיר
Not ester.

thegiver

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 2:55 am
Every Esther I know is extremely wise is her own way!! Most remarkable women I know have that name! True thought leaders in their own right

5mom

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 3:26 am
salt wrote:
Not ester.

Astir- I will hide
Esater- I will be hidden

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 3:46 am
We named our baby the day after she was born and last minute changed to a different name that we weren't planning on giving.
I regretted it right after and was in a state about it for the next week.
I even had to go on anti-depressants because of it, couldn't sleep at night for the amount it was bothering me.
However, I think it was just the hormones acting up (or slight PPD) and now I love the name and can't imagine her being called anything else!
So no, the posters saying you will resent the name forever have probably never experienced it. If you love your child, the name will likely grow on you to the point that you're not sure what bothered you about it.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 6:20 pm
salt wrote:
Not ester.

Op here. Thank you, this is what I needed.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jan 01 2017, 8:33 pm
First of all no one should ever force you to name something u dont like. its your child amd you can do whatever you want!!
I happen to have a daughter estee. love love the name!! she has the most adorable personality!!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names