Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
New shopping mall opening in Lakewood??
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 9:22 pm
Chloe wrote:
Is BMG really behind this?

My question exactly. I'm finding it very hard to believe. When the BJs theater was built (supposedly by a frum contractor) just outside of Lkwd, it was a major deal. Now this, in the middle of town? Sanctioned by yeshiva?? Seriously? Surprised

I remember when Lkwd pizza shops couldn't have tables lest they turn into hangouts.

I'm not suggesting we go back to that extreme but it's something to wonder about.

How far we've come!

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:
I saw the proposed plans- this is an outdoor theater

The only plans I've found online are on Hefkervelt and I couldn't enlarge to them to be able to read anything. Do you have a link to plans online?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 10:08 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
The only plans I've found online are on Hefkervelt and I couldn't enlarge to them to be able to read anything. Do you have a link to plans online?

No sorry, I only have it in a personal email. But there are 1114 suggested parking spots, Which tells you how large this is actually going to be. There is definitely an outdoor theater ...

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 10:11 pm
amother wrote:
My question exactly. I'm finding it very hard to believe. When the BJs theater was built (supposedly by a frum contractor) just outside of Lkwd, it was a major deal. Now this, in the middle of town? Sanctioned by yeshiva?? Seriously? Surprised

I remember when Lkwd pizza shops couldn't have tables lest they turn into hangouts.

I'm not suggesting we go back to that extreme but it's something to wonder about.

How far we've come!

I don't know if they're really behind it- but it's their land and they are selling it to a group of investors. Aron Kotler is involved as well and for all practical purposes, he represents BMG.

Are the roshei yeshiva involved- I wouldn't think so. But they're not stopping it and it is their land to sell....

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 10:22 pm
amother wrote:
No sorry, I only have it in a personal email. But there are 1114 suggested parking spots, Which tells you how large this is actually going to be. There is definitely an outdoor theater ...

I just found a wealth of documents and went down a rabbit hole on a link I found over on Hefkervelt. The amphitheater doesn't seem to be a big deal. It backs of on a conservation zone and doesn't look huge at all. Next to it appears to be a location for a farmers market of sorts. A reasonable pairing, something that is common in my town (we have 5 small 100 seat amphitheaters here).

What really amazed me was the 200k sq ft shopping center has a full basement. That's really unheard of. What is to be done with that? Will BMG be renting it? Or are they going to be donating the space for BMGs use and taking a huge write off?

Oh and the money behind the whole thing is something called Educational Endowment located on Privacy Way.

At this point I feel the woman in the video is a distraction. (I agree about the traffic issues.) But that doesn't mean that folks shouldn't be looking into this and following the money. If members of the vlaad are involved or BMG, don't make too many waves you may have trouble with getting your children into a school.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 11:15 pm
Wow, amazing detective work! Just to add on, Googling Educational Endowment in Lakewood shows that it's registered at 601 Private Way (not Privacy Way), which is BMG. The full-size basement also seems quite atypical.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jan 04 2017, 11:30 pm
doctorima wrote:
Wow, amazing detective work! Just to add on, Googling Educational Endowment in Lakewood shows that it's registered at 601 Private Way (not Privacy Way), which is BMG. The full-size basement also seems quite atypical.

Thanks for the address correction. It was a fascinating excursion. The basement is weird. Malls and modern shopping centers don't have basements. Basements don't make money in shopping centers, and their cost of construction is huge.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 12:42 pm
I read something about a possible wedding hall there as well. I guess that is what the basement will be used for.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 1:21 pm
This is the map on hefkervelt:
http://hefkervelt.blogspot.com......html

sky

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 1:28 pm
one building on teh plans is labeled a wedding hall (I think building 'C'). There are many otehr buildings.
Its also interesting there is a grocery considering Seasons just went up across the street.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 2:11 pm
Oh please. No new supermarket is opening in Lakewood. There are too many as it is and they are not doing as well as they thought they would.

So they must be planning something else for that building and just put supermarket to make it look good.

Which leads me to wonder exactly what is going on here. More than meets the eye IMO.

And the wedding hall looks like it will be on the second floor of Bldg C.

debsey

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 2:21 pm
sky wrote:
one building on teh plans is labeled a wedding hall (I think building 'C'). There are many otehr buildings.
Its also interesting there is a grocery considering Seasons just went up across the street.

It's really hard to tell anything from plans, because architects label things with one name when they're really something else. I have a "media room" and a "sewing room" in my house, according to my architectural plans. Really, they are a basement playroom and a guest room. The "wedding hall" could be a gym or a store or for all we know, a kollel building. I think this whole thing is a classic "bait and switch." For some reason, the powers that be want to get us all riled up, then they will build whatever they were planning on building in the first place and say they did it "to represent the voters more faithfully." Whatever it is, I'm losing faith that it has anything approaching my personal best interest in mind.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 10:49 pm
This is nothing new... I bought a house in the area a fewyears ago and the info about this mall was already public... I read about it online while researching the neighborhood. The whole "cedarbridge development" was only sold on condition that this mall be built... and this deal with yeshiva and investors went thru years ago see this link from 2002
http://www1.gmnews.com/2002/05.....oval/

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 11:07 pm
Everyone has a right to buy and build wherever they darn please! Do you know that there are churches in Monroe!? And no one can or will stop them because it is a free country! This topic is not for discussion! You know exactly why!

debsey

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 11:20 pm
amother wrote:
Everyone has a right to buy and build wherever they darn please! Do you know that there are churches in Monroe!? And no one can or will stop them because it is a free country! This topic is not for discussion! You know exactly why!

That's ridiculous. Ever hear of zoning?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 11:29 pm
amother wrote:

No actually they don't. There are building codes and zoning standards.

Where did you ever get such an idea?

debsey

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 11:31 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
No actually they don't. There are building codes and zoning standards.

Where did you ever get such an idea?

It's called being so open minded that your brains fall out. Lakewood is hardly the first suburban community in America to protest zoning being ignored and urban incursions, such as shopping malls, being built in a residential neighborhood.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 11:55 pm
debsey wrote:
It's called being so open minded that your brains fall out. Lakewood is hardly the first suburban community in America to protest zoning being ignored and urban incursions, such as shopping malls, being built in a residential neighborhood.

Very true, even my hometown in NJ which was very diverse, lost some ground to politicians who were acting in less than the best interests of their community.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 3:58 am
amother wrote:

Lol, if we're in a free country, there should be free speech and discussion, no?

Besides which, if everyone was allowed to build where they please, America would look like a third world country. Imagine if every single town looked like Manhattan, but even more crowded.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 7:49 am
Oooooohhhh I hope it's a gym, debsey!!!! That would be beyond amazing! I wouldn't have to travel 20-30 minutes each way!

And to the poster who said the supermarkets aren't doing well: I dunno, but every time I walk into gourmet Glatt and seasons, the store had plenty of people. Sometimes it's jam packed. I can't say the same thing about the smaller grocery stores, but it looks like the new big ones are doing just fine!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating