Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
S/o gifts you received from parents, in laws and siblings
1  2  Next

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 3:02 am
I'm curious what's the "norm". What gifts did you receive from parents, in laws or siblings after the birth of your first child?

LisaS

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 3:19 am
My grandmother bought a crib, and my husband's grandmother bought a stroller+car seat.

I don't remember either set of parents getting big gifts, but rather bringing in this or that they saw we were missing. Like I remember my father going out to buy a dresser and assembling it for us. I think my father in law bought us a cheap camera. But thankfully on neither side was there this idea that a particular gift was needed at a particular time.

LisaS

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 3:23 am
As for my siblings, I was the oldest and lived far away from them so I don't recall a gift. But when my nieces and nephews were born, I tried to give gifts that were nice enough but not so pricey that I wouldn't be able to do the same for the others.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 3:24 am
there is no norm.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 4:13 am
Some clothing we asked for.
I sent my brother a headband with matching socks for his little girl.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 5:57 am
My parents. First child bugaboo plus car seat
Second child new hood for bugaboo. Kiddy board. Expensive muff with matching coat and a new crib

In laws: first child some undershirts
Second child NOTHING

siblings all bought some clothing
Hubs siblings. Nothing

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 6:22 am
amother wrote:
Second child new hood for bugaboo. Kiddy board. Expensive muff with matching coat and a new crib

Second child NOTHING

Hubs siblings. Nothing

Ditto.
My parents bought us crib, dresser, stroller, car seat.
In laws, nothing, they thought it was enough that they came in and had me or DH serve them on hand and foot, even after birth, by c section.

I'm ok with no presents, even though they can afford it, but at least help out, make a meal, something.

By the second they didn't come in.

The 3rd, first boy, same scenario as first.

By forth, same as second.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:04 am
My mil always came to visit in the hospital and brought food, clothing( undershirts, strechies,bins) and pharmacy items( paci).
My mil got us our first stroller and my mother got me a double by the next.
Grandparents-one side paid for bris other have is $ ( we used for furniture)

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 7:40 am
Parents= clothes,bouncer, pack n play, food odd n ends
Inwls=2 outfits, one pan food(that only I like) n 4,muffins

Siblings= bunch clothes , diaper bag, toys
Siblings inwls= 2 got few outfits, 1 got sheets,n storage thing for crib to put diapers , wipes n what not . ANOTHER one gave me two used stretchy that her daughter didn't really use that s.O gave her.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 9:00 am
Baby 1: my parents won beautiful baby furniture in a Chinese auction at the end of my pregnancy which they gifted to me. My grandparents gave me 1k for a carriage and car seat. (I didn't spend that amount in a carriage so I used the remaining money for other expenses.) my other grandparents gave me $100. My in- laws were disappointed that the carriage was already gifted by someone else so they gave me money to buy crib linen. It was about $350 including a window curtain .( I would never spend that money on my own- would've bought a set from target for 40$.

Baby 2: Grandparents that bought my first carriage bought me a double carriage. Other grandparents gave me $ again. Parents paid for a baby nurse for two weeks. In laws paid for bris and Shalom Zachor.
Parents and in laws both purchased baby clothing.

Baby 3: grandparents gave me $500 plus an additional $100 to buy my older kids gifts from them.
Other grandparents gave me cash.
In laws gave a large amount for bris and shalom zachor and purchased two baby outfits.
Parents gave $1000 cash gift:

By every child I had no expectations and was extremely appreciative of these very generous gift.

ETA: siblings chip in to buy a gift worth $100.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 9:06 am
Satisfy my curiosity: what purpose does a thread such as this one serve, other than making those who received few or no gifts feel bad about themselves and resentful of their parents or inlaws?

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 9:11 am
First child:
My parents bought me a crib and a whole lot of inexpensive clothes

My ILs gave me $400 towards a stroller (they wanted me to buy a bugaboo but I didn't want to spend that much so bought a cheap stroller). They also gave me a bag of expensive clothes

Siblings- no gift given or expected from them

sisters-in-law- most didn't give anything, one gave an outfit

aunts/cousins/other relatives- gave outfits

Second child:

My parents bought a bunch of inexensive clothes

My ILs gave a some clothes

siblings- again, no gift given or expected

sisters-in-law- the same one that gave an outfit the first time gave another outfit, this time labeling this one outfit as a gift from all sisters-in-law. I guess she wanted me to feel like everyone is giving a gift not just her.

ckk

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 9:20 am
amother wrote:

Second child NOTHING

Hubs siblings. Nothing

The attitude Puke

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 9:34 am
My parents gave me some money towards a stroller for my first and some money towards the bris for my second.
My in laws gave us some money towards a crib for my first and paid for the shalom zachor for my second.
Both were super helpful and completely unexpected.

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 9:50 am
I didn't get any gifts from my parents or siblings.

I did get completely showered with gifts from friends and employees. We got everything we could possibly need and then some. I ended up giving away unopened things. My very efficient office manager and DH's very efficient staff coordinated all gifts. My office manager pushed everyone to also give a pack of diapers with each gift. I didn't have to buy diapers for the first six/seven months with my kids. I also received half a dozen gifts for me in addition to baby gifts. DH's family gave some stretchies, but they were not well off and it was deeply appreciated. I also had dozens of plants and balloons sent to the hospital.

I was an older first time mother which I think caused the big outpouring of gifts.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 10:10 am
amother wrote:

Second child NOTHING

Hubs siblings. Nothing

same. I know I'll be bashed but it's very disappointing when you're friends get thousand dollar furniture sets or carriages from their in laws and you get a stretchie.

rachel6543

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 10:12 am
My mom made by hand 8-9 baby blankets (I think she must have made one every month after she found out I was pregnant)! She also got me miscellaneous baby clothes & random things she would find on bargain sales.

My mother and SIL also did the set up and bought decorations & some food for my son's Bris. That was a wonderful gift!

My SIL hosted the pidyon haben for my son. Another wonderful gift of her time and super amazing cooking skills.

No gifts from my siblings, but I only have younger brothers and they were still living at home at the time and going to school.

My MIL brought babies clothes & clothe diapers. She probably got some other things, but I honestly cannot remember anymore. And she prob helped my SIL with the the Bris & pidyon haben, I just can't remember anymore.

My grandmother gave us a cash gift. Half the money has been invested in a CD for when my child is older, something he can use in high school/college/yeshiva for future expenses. The rest of the money we invested in some educational & Jewish toys and towards getting baby furniture/stroller/car seat.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
same. I know I'll be bashed but it's very disappointing when you're friends get thousand dollar furniture sets or carriages from their in laws and you get a stretchie.

You have just proven my earlier point.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
You have just proven my earlier point.

actually, what virtual strangers get makes no difference to me. this thread isn't even tickling me.
when I have a baby I am an emotional mess so receiving a stretchie from the baby's grandparents is a lot more disappointing then it would be a year later when I'm human again.
the fact that my friends got showered with expensive gifts and what not exacerbates my disappointment and jealousy at a very vulnerable time.
now I look back and I say, who the hell cares? but I know that next time around I will care.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 24 2017, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
Satisfy my curiosity: what purpose does a thread such as this one serve, other than making those who received few or no gifts feel bad about themselves and resentful of their parents or inlaws?

I'm curious and I'm allowed to be. People who will be jealous can skip this thread; the title makes it very clear what it's about.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics