Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Boro Park Groceries vs. Newspapers-what do you make of this?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:42 am
cnc wrote:
In the beginning, the prices were way cheaper than anyone else.
I have a feeling that slowly and quietly they raised/are raising some prices.

They want to be known as selling items in big quantities (like Costco), but all I see are packages of 100 paper plates and 100 plastic plates for the same money as the other stores. What is sold in big quantities?

Simple1

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:43 am
What about the freebie papers and magazines? Somehow they seem to be making a profit, without even charging the customer.

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:49 am
Simple1 wrote:
What about the freebie papers and magazines? Somehow they seem to be making a profit, without even charging the customer.

They are only ads - no reading material.
They are four times the size of the other publications- and 95 percent ads. They don't need to pay for a staff of writers.

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:50 am
amother wrote:
They want to be known as selling items in big quantities (like Costco), but all I see are packages of 100 paper plates and 100 plastic plates for the same money as the other stores. What is sold in big quantities?

Eggs
Containers
Dips
Packaged nuts and candies
Ice creams

Etc
These are the things that I can think of off the top of my head.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:56 am
I think this is very interesting. I used to work for a company that sold magazines. Most magazines make their money primarily from advertising. The only reason they keep the retail price higher is because advertisers don't want to place ads in free or cheap magazines. The wholesale price for
most magazines is relatively cheap. Some are even free for the seller, and a few even pay the seller for each subscription.
Jewish magazines seem to have a different business model. They want to make profit from selling the magazine and ad sales. It's ridiculous.

So I can understand why stores would be frustrated. However, even if the profit margin is high, is think they would sell it just because it's nice for the customers. It's nice to be able to pick up a magazine at the grocery store, especially if you want it for Shabbos reading. Who wants to make an extra stop just for a magazine?
Also, let's get real. Magazine racks don't cost nearly 2000 dollars. I'm sure you could look up retail magazine or newspaper racks online and see the prices. It's odd that all the stores would suddenly stop selling. And according to the letter from the stores all the stores, if their processing fee is really .25 per transaction they should switch companies. Also, instead of throwing the old magazine in the trash I'm sure a chessed group would be happy to pick up the old magazines. Lots of people who can't afford to buy the Jewish magazines read old ones from people who are done with them. So why not give them as tzedaka instead of putting Them in the garbage?

Bottom line, everyone sounds ridiculous. And the ones hurting are the customers.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 8:06 am
amother wrote:
I think this is very interesting. I used to work for a company that sold magazines. Most magazines make their money primarily from advertising. The only reason they keep the retail price higher is because advertisers don't want to place ads in free or cheap magazines. The wholesale price for
most magazines is relatively cheap. Some are even free for the seller, and a few even pay the seller for each subscription.
Jewish magazines seem to have a different business model. They want to make profit from selling the magazine and ad sales. It's ridiculous.

So I can understand why stores would be frustrated. However, even if the profit margin is high, is think they would sell it just because it's nice for the customers. It's nice to be able to pick up a magazine at the grocery store, especially if you want it for Shabbos reading. Who wants to make an extra stop just for a magazine?
Also, let's get real. Magazine racks don't cost nearly 2000 dollars. I'm sure you could look up retail magazine or newspaper racks online and see the prices. It's odd that all the stores would suddenly stop selling. And according to the letter from the stores all the stores, if their processing fee is really .25 per transaction they should switch companies. Also, instead of throwing the old magazine in the trash I'm sure a chessed group would be happy to pick up the old magazines. Lots of people who can't afford to buy the Jewish magazines read old ones from people who are done with them. So why not give them as tzedaka instead of putting Them in the garbage?

Bottom line, everyone sounds ridiculous. And the ones hurting are the customers.

Agreed with your whole post. The magazines are far from professional and people pay for it. I run a mikvah and our local Jewish bookstore was donating the unsold magazines to us every week. The woman like to read it in the waiting room. The magazine got wind of this somehow, they must've assumed that he wasn't selling all of the magazines, and they threatened to stop allowing him to sell them. He was so disgusted that for the $.25 he makes per magazine, he decided to stop selling magazines on his own. Biker cholim rooms in my area have also asked the magazines for discounted subscriptions and were denied. There is much to be desired in the frum magazine world.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 8:10 am
cnc wrote:
Packaged nuts and candies

No way! Packaged nuts and candies are way more expensive than in KRM. Bingo sells them similarly priced to Oh Nuts.

Simple1

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 8:11 am
cnc wrote:
They are only ads - no reading material.
They are four times the size of the other publications- and 95 percent ads. They don't need to pay for a staff of writers.

I was thinking of The Voice and The Shopper of Lakewood which seem to be filled with articles. Also the Community (Sephardic). Though, maybe the ad ratios are higher.

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 8:52 am
amother wrote:
No way! Packaged nuts and candies are way more expensive than in KRM. Bingo sells them similarly priced to Oh Nuts.

I'm talking about size not price. I have no clue how the prices compare to other places although they had a nice variety of chocolates and candies that is definitely not available anywhere else.

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 8:54 am
Simple1 wrote:
I was thinking of The Voice and The Shopper of Lakewood which seem to be filled with articles. Also the Community (Sephardic). Though, maybe the ad ratios are higher.

Ah. I was thinking of the Weekly Link , Torah Times etc.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 9:10 am
cnc wrote:
I'm talking about size not price. I have no clue how the prices compare to other places although they had a nice variety of chocolates and candies that is definitely not available anywhere else.

Which chocolates and candies can you get at Bingo that you cant get cheaper at KRM?

KRM has lower prices and much more variety.

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 9:13 am
amother wrote:
Which chocolates and candies can you get at Bingo that you cant get cheaper at KRM?

Hmm are you the amother from the other Bingo thread? I recognize the argumentative tone. Surprised

You're more than welcome to go check it out on your own especially since IIRC you live right there.

I'm not here to sit and argue .

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 9:16 am
cnc wrote:
Hmm are you the amother from the other Bingo thread? I recognize the argumentative tone. Surprised

You're more than welcome to go check it out on your own especially since IIRC you live right there.

Am I not allowed to offer my opinion, just as youre offering yours? I was there a number of times looking for bargains and nothing tempted me to go back. And, no Im not the competition!

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 9:23 am
So, its over? The groceries just caved in to the pressure? I wonder what really happened.

cnc

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 9:33 am
amother wrote:
So, its over? The groceries just caved in to the pressure? I wonder what really happened.

This week the groceries are not selling- but it's only the first week. I guess we will see how it plays out over time.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 8:41 pm
First of all, you cannot compare the frum magazine market to the secular one for the same reason you can't compare the two book markets. The frum market is a fraction of a fraction of the size any secular magazine caters to. At best, they sell tens of thousands of copies, for similar costs. Ofc they wanna make $ off of sales and not just ads!

Secondly, the free papers have minimal costs. Most have a really small staff and since they're only delivered locally ( with the exception of the fjj) their distribution costs are minimal as well.

They charge much less per ad than the "real" papers and are thus able to fill their pages with money-making full-page ads. And their advertisers are happy to be in an exclusively local paper since that's their clientele anyways.

The only paper I have a q on is The Circle, which has a ton of articles and not one ad...

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 9:07 pm
Was wondering where I will get my magazines this week. Went to gourmet glatt in bp to do my shabbos shopping and they had the magazines.

As to the argument about bingo. Their prices on their chocolates are ridiculously cheap. My issue with them is that I don't need such a big pack. But I love that place. Their cut up fruits are majorly cheap. Used to pay the same price for a small cut up mango where in bingo I get it for that same price in a bigger size.

Sodas are definitely worth buying there.
Salmon at 7.99 a lb compared to somewhere else at 11.99 for the same thing.

I don't know to compare it to kollel. Went into that store once and never went back. Bingo is way more tempting.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 9:12 pm
amother wrote:

I smell a rat

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 9:15 pm
cnc wrote:

Haha same thought come up as I was reading plum amother.

das

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 9:17 pm
amother wrote:

You have no idea what you're talking about. One of my favorite magazine, Mental floss, stopped publishing because they couldn't make the numbers work for them-and they had 100,000 subscribers.

If you crunch the numbers, with office rent and staff, writers, high printing costs, payments to distributors etc nobody's laughing all the way to the bank.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics