Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Why did Schumer cry for the banned muslims
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

wondergirl

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 10:45 pm
Maya wrote:
Notice that I didn't offer any opinions regarding the ban or the EO. All I'm trying to understand is your level of compassion for the refugees, and it seems that is nonexistent. Furthermore, your ridiculous comparisons of their real problems to some first world issues that some New Yorkers face shows me how you're so up in your head with blind trust for Trump that it's useless to even discuss this with you.

My level of compassion is equal to the level of compassion that people have shown me in the past few years. They told me that I was white and privileged so I should toughen up despite living through hell so I toughened up. Is this too tough for you?

Last edited by wondergirl on Mon, Jan 30 2017, 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

ruby slippers

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 10:48 pm
wondergirl wrote:
Schumer is a New York politician. He is obligated to support, defend, and protect his constituents who are law abiding American citizens. Where is his sadness when New Yorkers are evicted from their homes and end up homeless? Where is his sadness when New Yorkers get rejected from CUNY schools in favor of foreign or illegal students? Where is his sadness when kids join gangs and kill each other over it? Where is his sadness when New Yorkers are forced to take out loans to pay for college because they couldnt get financial aid for whatever reason? Where is his sadness when New Yorkers need lawyers to help them but the money goes to lawyers who aid and abet illegal aliens? I can ask where his sadness is for a million other things and reasons that a New York politician can be sad over when it comes to New York citizens, but for him to cry over foreigners is just pathetic. It shows that he is not loyal to the very people that voted him into office so its time to replace him with someone who cares about New York citizens and puts their needs before strangers from hutzenplotz.

I liked your rant..

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 12:48 am
Maya wrote:
I specifically asked you, do you think we should or should not be feeling some compassion for the refugees? I don't see an answer to that anywhere in that entire paragraph, which is an incoherent rant about all your perceived problems about New York. Where in that is the answer to my question?

And I am specifically asking you Maya or is it, Sprintzy, feel sad and cry for people that will scream Alla Akba and slit your Jewish throats in a heart beat

I never took you for the Shwarner-Goodman type. I'm startled.

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 7:51 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
And I am specifically asking you Maya or is it, Sprintzy, feel sad and cry for people that will scream Alla Akba and slit your Jewish throats in a heart beat

I never took you for the Shwarner-Goodman type. I'm startled.

I will not apologize for feeling a level of compassion for innocent women and little children who face the kinds of terrors and fears that neither you nor I, nor anyone on this board, can fathom or comprehend. The insensitivity and cruelty being exhibited by the frum women on this board, and the way some women are showing their true selves, is what's really startling to me. No one's asking you to take any concrete actions to bring in the refugees, but to feel a little sad about their circumstances is too much to ask? That's disgusting.

And what were you trying to imply by calling me Shprintzy? Because whatever it was, I'm sorry to say, it fell flat.

Maya

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 7:56 am
wondergirl wrote:
My level of compassion is equal to the level of compassion that people have shown me in the past few years. They told me that I was white and privileged so I should toughen up despite living through hell so I toughened up. Is this too tough for you?

I'm very sorry that your life circumstances has caused you to completely close your heart to any kind of suffering in the world.

I sincerely hope that things are going better for you now. No one should have to live through hell. Sad

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:32 am
I just want to clarify that I do feel bad for the refugees. I was just wondering why Schumer cried publicly for them but not his own brothers and sisters. (Maybe he doesn't have as much Jewish identity as I do, like Bernie sanders. )

Blue jay

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:41 am
The word empathy was brought up....

Yes we all have empathy here towards the pain and suffering of refugees.
I also have empathy towards those poor 100's of girls who were kidnapped in Africa, where were the tears? "bring our girls back" I remember...

I have empathy for the yazidi people too. Where were the tears? rallies world wide condemnation? Why was this not Hillarys platform or Mr. Schumers tears?

Where are the tears for families who have no food to put on the table and are struggling to keep a roof over their heads?

Mr. Schumer has selective tears. Where were his tears when there was a terrorist attack in California?

If you must show tears, show tears for everyone!

I am so tired of this being a one sided debate. We all have empathy but we all have concerns for our families and loved ones too.

wondergirl

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:42 am
Maya wrote:
I'm very sorry that your life circumstances has caused you to completely close your heart to any kind of suffering in the world.

I sincerely hope that things are going better for you now. No one should have to live through hell. Sad

I didn't realize I completely closed my heart to any kind of suffering in the world. Please explain how you got that conclusion.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:48 am
Maya wrote:
No one's asking you to take any concrete actions to bring in the refugees, but to feel a little sad about their circumstances is too much to ask? That's disgusting.

It's not too much to ask, but it is frustrating when people who don't express any pain over Cause A suddenly insist that EVERYONE express pain over Cause B or be labeled a heartless monster.

Especially when it's political.

I agree that if Cause A is, like, student housing, and Cause B is genocide, that's one thing...

I'm thinking, like, of people who are sooooo sad when Palestinians die ONLY when they die fighting Israel, and don't even notice when Palestinians are murdered in Lebanon, or in Gaza when there's no war on, or on the Mediterranean. Or people who don't know or particularly care what's happening in Yemen and southern Sudan, but are happy to tell people on Facebook how horrible they are for not caring enough about Syria.

In this case it's especially noticeable because people are acting more upset about refugees facing a delay in getting access to America or Europe, specifically, than about the terrorist groups that are making them refugees. (European governments limit refugee absorption? MONSTERS. European governments give terrorist groups millions of dollars in ransom, allowing them to keep terrorizing civilians? Hey, did you see Westworld last night?)

All that said... It's not like Schumer was asking people to be sad, he was just expressing sadness himself. And IMO it makes sense to be more upset over something your government is doing, that you might be able to effect, than over something that is very tragic but that you can't personally change.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:50 am
pizza4 wrote:
One's bitterness need not drive a person to insult a fellow Jew.
To the op, hypocrisy is everywhere, unfortunately.
The ban does need to be adjusted though imo.

Thanks. I'm working my way through this thread, trying not to get involved in that bit till I read more, and am gratified to see someone addressed it.

ora_43

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:51 am
allthingsblue wrote:
I just want to clarify that I do feel bad for the refugees. I was just wondering why Schumer cried publicly for them but not his own brothers and sisters. (Maybe he doesn't have as much Jewish identity as I do, like Bernie sanders. )

The refugees are in a more immediate crisis. The Iran deal could be catastrophic for Israel, but we don't know for sure that it will be, and in any case, there's no catastrophe right now (tfu tfu tfu).

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 8:54 am
Maya wrote:
I will not apologize for feeling a level of compassion for innocent women and little children who face the kinds of terrors and fears that neither you nor I, nor anyone on this board, can fathom or comprehend. The insensitivity and cruelty being exhibited by the frum women on this board, and the way some women are showing their true selves, is what's really startling to me. No one's asking you to take any concrete actions to bring in the refugees, but to feel a little sad about their circumstances is too much to ask? That's disgusting.

And what were you trying to imply by calling me Shprintzy? Because whatever it was, I'm sorry to say, it fell flat.

OK, let's try Laitchu* Tongue Out
Seriously, please believe I have compassion for the refugees. And Muslim ones too. The wrong Muslims are subject to unspeakable horrors and I didn't sleep well because of an interview I read on another thread.
I'm sorry the thread has devolved the way it has, I'm staying out of that, but I can appreciate the sentiments on the other side.

*Sorry if that was a lucky guess. I'm just trying to figure out what she meant by Shprintzy.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 9:00 am
ora_43 wrote:
It's not too much to ask, but it is frustrating when people who don't express any pain over Cause A suddenly insist that EVERYONE express pain over Cause B or be labeled a heartless monster.

Especially when it's political.

I agree that if Cause A is, like, student housing, and Cause B is genocide, that's one thing...

I'm thinking, like, of people who are sooooo sad when Palestinians die ONLY when they die fighting Israel, and don't even notice when Palestinians are murdered in Lebanon, or in Gaza when there's no war on, or on the Mediterranean. Or people who don't know or particularly care what's happening in Yemen and southern Sudan, but are happy to tell people on Facebook how horrible they are for not caring enough about Syria.

In this case it's especially noticeable because people are acting more upset about refugees facing a delay in getting access to America or Europe, specifically, than about the terrorist groups that are making them refugees. (European governments limit refugee absorption? MONSTERS. European governments give terrorist groups millions of dollars in ransom, allowing them to keep terrorizing civilians? Hey, did you see Westworld last night?)

All that said... It's not like Schumer was asking people to be sad, he was just expressing sadness himself. And IMO it makes sense to be more upset over something your government is doing, that you might be able to effect, than over something that is very tragic but that you can't personally change.

I can't speak for Schumer but part of the sadness is probably due to the feeling of horror, watching your country's direction change in serious ways, losing the moral high ground in the eyes of the world, seeing nationalism and selfishness grow... and being to a large degree powerless to stop it.

Laiya

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 9:04 am
Obama and GW Bush each paused immigration SIX times during their tenures. Clinton and Reagan each did several times as well, and Carter did in 1980. The reason is ALWAYS national security concerns.

The lack of protests or tears when other presidents did the same thing, is what makes it ring disingenuous.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 9:08 am
I've never noticed Schumer to be any more pro Israel than he has to be to be elected in NYS.

He's a master at playing both sides.

Like everything else he does it's a political move. He has good political instincts and knows it will play well in NYS. Just wait a few years and he'll be implicated in some corruption issue.

Blue jay

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 9:15 am
youngishbear wrote:
I can't speak for Schumer but part of the sadness is probably due to the feeling of horror, watching your country's direction change in serious ways, losing the moral high ground in the eyes of the world, seeing nationalism and selfishness grow... and being to a large degree powerless to stop it.

Stop calling me selfish!

Where is your empathy?

You live in a democracy, debate and tell us all why you think having an open door policy with dangerous nations will be a safe choice for our families and fellow Americans. This is not a muslim ban! If there were dangerous people living in the North Pole who wanted to hurt Americans, we would ban them too!

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 9:24 am
QueenBee3 wrote:
Stop calling me selfish!

Where is your empathy?

You live in a democracy, debate and tell us all why you think having an open door policy with dangerous nations will be a safe choice for our families and fellow Americans. This is not a muslim ban! If there were dangerous people living in the North Pole who wanted to hurt Americans, we would ban them too!

I didn't call you selfish. Not sure why you assumed so.

Regarding the danger, I think we need to balance the possibility of danger to ourselves versus the definite danger to the refugees in question. Marina's comparison to the Righteous Among the Nations who hid Jews at their own mortal risk is a valid, if not 100% analogous one.

Blue jay

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 9:30 am
youngishbear wrote:

From what I read in your statement you believe that all those who support the immigrant ban from dangerous countries are selfish.

Ofcourse, I could be wrong.

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 9:33 am
QueenBee3 wrote:
From what I read in your statement you believe that all those who support the immigrant ban from dangerous countries are selfish.

Ofcourse, I could be wrong.

No, not specifically.

I was projecting some of my observations on to Schumer, but not necessarily based on the ban. This last election cycle really shook this country up, and many of us are sad about what came tumbling out of the dark corners.

Blue jay

Post Tue, Jan 31 2017, 9:36 am
youngishbear wrote:

Regarding the danger, I think we need to balance the possibility of danger to ourselves versus the definite danger to the refugees in question. Marina's comparison to the Righteous Among the Nations who hid Jews at their own mortal risk is a valid, if not 100% analogous one.

I dont agree that this can be compared to the holocaust. But I do believe that this is very case sensitive and that America needs to find the safest route to help but at the same time protect its citizens. If a ban on immigration right now is necessary, than I support that. It just takes one terrorist and that is what we are all really afraid of. It does not make me selfish.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics