Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Ivanka Trumps line getting pulled
  Previous  1  2  3   12  13  14  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 11:56 am
DrMom wrote:
Unless you run bakery and don't want to bake a wedding cake for a gay wedding.

thats a business choosing not to sell something - this is a business choosing not to buy something.

Raisin

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 11:56 am
I wonder if her line is becoming more popular in Trump supporting states?

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:00 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Then go buy her clothing. I"m sure she'll appreciate the support.

I own some of her pieces because they are well cut and well priced. It has nothing to do with politics as I owned them before the election. I also continue to get many compliments on them.

But what is it about the left that doesn't allow the presentation of differing ideas?

http://nypost.com/2017/02/11/I.....tive/

Why the rioting and the temper tantrums? What do they hope to gain? IMO they lose their legitimacy when they become a mob.

The saddest thing about the left is the suppression of ideas and thoughts. They are stifling intellectual growth. Sometimes I feel they are stifling common sense.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:04 pm
Squishy wrote:
I own some of her pieces because they are well cut and well priced. It has nothing to do with politics as I owned them before the election. I also continue to get many compliments on them.

But what is it about the left that doesn't allow the presentation of differing ideas?

http://nypost.com/2017/02/11/I.....tive/

Why the rioting and the temper tantrums? What do they hope to gain? IMO they lose their legitimacy when they become a mob.

The saddest thing about the left is the suppression of ideas and thoughts. They are stifling intellectual growth. Sometimes I feel they are stifling common sense.

do you refer to yourself as 'the right'?

happybeingamom

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:08 pm
DrMom wrote:

I agree with you there, it is despicable.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:09 pm
DrMom wrote:

Where do I begin.

There's a difference between a business electing not to do business with another business, and a business discriminating against an individual.

Moreover, there are reasons that one is allowed to do things, and reasons one is not. Your employer can fire you tomorrow because you're not doing a good job. Because she doesn't need you any more. Because she just plain old dislikes you. But she can't fire you because you're a Jew. Or because you don't work on Shabbat.

What religious beliefs are implicated in the baking of a cake? Does baking the cake suggest approval of the marriage? Does the baker who refuses to bake a cake for a gay couple vet her over the counter customers? (In one case, the couple were customers, hte baker sold to them regularly, but refused their wedding.)

No one is buying Ivanka Trump merchandise. Whether because of a boycott, or because her products just aren't very good, or both (my guess) is irrelevant. No store should be obligated to keep her stuff on the shelf because Daddy is the President.

And the actions of these stores should not bother people as much as the actions of the President and his appointed officials, who have used their official capacity to promote the business of a person because of her relations to the President (and, additionally, I think its likely that the President owns an inteterst in the "Ivanka Trump" licensed merchandise, so quite possibly to promote his own financial interests), and to attempt to damage the interests of American enterprises because their own business interests are apparently contrary to those of his family. THIS is why so many of us were worried about Trump's refusal to release tax returns, and refusal to divest.

But, as I told Squishy, if you disagree, vote with your feet. Go buy lots of Ivanka Trump branded merchandise. Made in China, Indonesia and Vietnam, not America. And wear it in good health.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:11 pm
Raisin wrote:
I wonder if her line is becoming more popular in Trump supporting states?

Those people are less likely to be able to afford her line.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:19 pm
amother wrote:
Those people are less likely to be able to afford her line.

Its not a high-end line. Its mid-priced, at its highest.

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:28 pm
http://insider.foxnews.com/201.....ement
Go Jeanine Pirro!

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:29 pm
DrMom wrote:

That happened in Oregon where anti discrimination laws are in place. I'm sure you didn't read the ruling. Here's a link to the final order. https://www.oregon.gov/boli/Si.....O.pdf

Now back to Nordstroms. Nordstroms claim that there was a 30% drop in sales. Shelf space in stores equals profits. Any line that isn't making money gets tossed. That's called capitalism.

happybeingamom

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:31 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Where do I begin.

There's a difference between a business electing not to do business with another business, and a business discriminating against an individual.

Moreover, there are reasons that one is allowed to do things, and reasons one is not. Your employer can fire you tomorrow because you're not doing a good job. Because she doesn't need you any more. Because she just plain old dislikes you. But she can't fire you because you're a Jew. Or because you don't work on Shabbat.

What religious beliefs are implicated in the baking of a cake? Does baking the cake suggest approval of the marriage? Does the baker who refuses to bake a cake for a gay couple vet her over the counter customers? (In one case, the couple were customers, hte baker sold to them regularly, but refused their wedding.)

No one is buying Ivanka Trump merchandise. Whether because of a boycott, or because her products just aren't very good, or both (my guess) is irrelevant. No store should be obligated to keep her stuff on the shelf because Daddy is the President.

And the actions of these stores should not bother people as much as the actions of the President and his appointed officials, who have used their official capacity to promote the business of a person because of her relations to the President (and, additionally, I think its likely that the President owns an inteterst in the "Ivanka Trump" licensed merchandise, so quite possibly to promote his own financial interests), and to attempt to damage the interests of American enterprises because their own business interests are apparently contrary to those of his family. THIS is why so many of us were worried about Trump's refusal to release tax returns, and refusal to divest.

But, as I told Squishy, if you disagree, vote with your feet. Go buy lots of Ivanka Trump branded merchandise. Made in China, Indonesia and Vietnam, not America. And wear it in good health.

If someone came to my bakery shop and asked me to bake a cake in the shape of a cross, I would not do it. Should I be punished for that? A wedding cake is a custom artistic creation (which is not a necessity) I see no reason that anyone should be forced to create something that is against their religious beliefs.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:35 pm
happybeingamom wrote:
If someone came to my bakery shop and asked me to bake a cake in the shape of a cross, I would not do it. Should I be punished for that? A wedding cake is a custom artistic creation (which is not a necessity) I see no reason that anyone should be forced to create something that is against their religious beliefs.

If you refuse service to someone in Oregon you cannot do it on the basis of race, religion, $exual orientation or a variety of other factors. That is the law. The owners of Sweet Cakes may have be unaware of this law. The customers who sued were long standing customers of Sweetcakes. They were willing to serve them until they asked to have a wedding cake baked.

happybeingamom

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:40 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
If you refuse service to someone in Oregon you cannot do it on the basis of race, religion, $exual orientation or a variety of other factors. That is the law. The owners of Sweet Cakes may have be unaware of this law. The customers who sued were long standing customers of Sweetcakes. They were willing to serve them until they asked to have a wedding cake baked.

Did they not let them shop in their store anymore or just refused to create a wedding cake that celebrated a wedding that was against their religious beliefs?

If they did not let them shop in their store anymore that would be discrimination but refusing to decorate a cake that was against their moral code there is nothing wrong with it.

Why should anyone be forced to create something that is against their religious beliefs especially when there are other places that these items can be created.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:46 pm
happybeingamom wrote:
Did they not let them shop in their store anymore or just refused to create a wedding cake that celebrated a wedding that was against their religious beliefs?

If they did not let them shop in their store anymore that would be discrimination but refusing to decorate a cake that was against their moral code there is nothing wrong with it.

Why should anyone be forced to create something that is against their religious beliefs especially when there are other places that these items can be created.

That is the law in the state where this happened. Folks are free to open businesses in states that don't have anti discrimination laws. When one opens a business in the state in question they have to follow the law. They cannot choose when they want to obey the law and when they don't want to.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:51 pm
tigerwife wrote:
You mean all these people yelling bigotry and racism are punishing a woman for her uncontrollable circumstance- her birth father? Shocking.

Her controllable circumstance was using the Trump name in her branding. The moment she did that she took a business risk. Its not like she is actually a fashion designer herself. Are people calling her a bigot?

That said - I don't understand actively and loudly boycotting her clothing line - I do think that's not a nice thing to do - and its in poor taste.

However - if stores have dropped a line because people have stopped purchasing it. Fine. Blame 'the consumers' not the store.

gold21

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:54 pm
Yeah I emailed Nordstrom a couple days ago....

They could have waited for the drama of the presidential election and the controversy surrounding the new presidential policies to blow over and give the brand a chance to bounce back, instead of removing it.

Anyway, Ivanka is a strong accomplished woman, employing a team of what appears to be mostly young female executives, and instead of yelling profanity at protests, what feminists can do is simply shop Ivanka's line. Whatever I know of Ivanka Trump's company indicates that it's a company that empowers women to accomplish and achieve.

Last edited by gold21 on Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:57 pm; edited 3 times in total

Amarante

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:54 pm
Nordstrom would not pull merchandise if it were selling. It is a publicly held company. Based on their sales figures, sales are down and so the line is being replaced with products that are sell better and are more profitable.

Free enterprise at work.

And ironic that Nordstrom is an American company employing 80,000 or so Americans whereas all of the Trump merchandise is manufactured overseas. :-)

People can vote with their feet and buying power - capitalism at its best which is theoretically the mantra of the GOP.

happybeingamom

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:55 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
That is the law in the state where this happened. Folks are free to open businesses in states that don't have anti discrimination laws. When one opens a business in the state in question they have to follow the law. They cannot choose when they want to obey the law and when they don't want to.

In my opinion this violates the first amendment, freedom of religion.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:59 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

And if a bakery and someone's parnasa is long-established somewhere, and the proprietor has deep roots in that community, tough luck?

No one should be coerced into a job. I doubt the Founding Fathers had that in mind.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 12:59 pm
happybeingamom wrote:

They weren't asking for a cake that had 2 vajay-jays on it. Or at least it never got to the point where that was requested. They were told that their marriage was an "abomination" when asked the name of the couple. So it wasn't the CAKE, it was the couple.

Do people even put names on wedding cakes anymore? What would they have been doing that was opposed to their religious beliefs?
Page 2 of 14   Previous  1  2  3   12  13  14  Next Recent Topics