Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Ivanka Trumps line getting pulled
  Previous  1  2  3  4 12  13  14  Next

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:00 pm
I found a really cute Ivanka top in Burlington last year.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:06 pm
amother wrote:
Her controllable circumstance was using the Trump name in her branding. The moment she did that she took a business risk. Its not like she is actually a fashion designer herself. Are people calling her a bigot?

That said - I don't understand actively and loudly boycotting her clothing line - I do think that's not a nice thing to do - and its in poor taste.

However - if stores have dropped a line because people have stopped purchasing it. Fine. Blame 'the consumers' not the store.

I assume that people are aware that Ivanka, like her father, is mostly in the business of licensing. Ivanka doesn't design clothes. Nor does she employ people who design clothing on her behalf. She licenses her name to another company, which creates a clothing line. In her case, the license is to G-III, which (according to its press releases) "is a leading manufacturer and distributor of outerwear, dresses, sportswear, swimwear, beachwear and women's suits, as well as handbags and luggage, under licensed brands, our own brands and private label brands. G-III sells swimwear, accessories and resort wear under our own Vilebrequin brand. G-III also sells outerwear and dresses under our own Andrew Marc, Marc New York and Marc Moto brands and has licensed these brands to select third parties in certain product categories. G-III has fashion licenses under the Calvin Klein, Sean John, Kenneth Cole, Cole Haan, Guess?, Jones New York, Jessica Simpson, Vince Camuto, Nine West, Ellen Tracy, Tommy Hilfiger, Kensie, Mac & Jac, Levi's and Dockers brands and sports licenses with the National Football League, National Basketball Association, Major League Baseball, National Hockey League, Touch by Alyssa Milano and more than 100 U.S. colleges and universities. Our other owned brands include Jessica Howard, Eliza J, Black Rivet, G-III, G-III Sports by Carl Banks and Winlit. G-III also operates retail stores under the Wilsons Leather, Vilebrequin, Andrew Marc and Calvin Klein Performance names."

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:06 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
And if a bakery and someone's parnasa is long-established somewhere, and the proprietor has deep roots in that community, tough luck?

No one should be coerced into a job. I doubt the Founding Fathers had that in mind.

ITA. Just because something is the law, doesn't mean it's right. You can have whatever cake you want, as long as you find someone who's willing to make it for you. Nobody should be forced to sell something that they don't want to sell, they shouldn't have to justify their reasoning.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:07 pm
happybeingamom wrote:
In my opinion this violates the first amendment, freedom of religion.

But it doesn't. See if this were a church that refused to marry a GLBT person they would be within the law to do so and could not be sued. But if the church or religious organization had a for profit hall that they rented out to the public they could not refuse to do business with the GBLT community (or anyone else for that matter). Once you have a business in the state of Oregon (and many other states) you must comply with the laws of public accommodation. The customers didn't prevent the business owners from attending the church of their choosing. That is the freedom to practice their religion.

happybeingamom

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:11 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
They weren't asking for a cake that had 2 vajay-jays on it. Or at least it never got to the point where that was requested. They were told that their marriage was an "abomination" when asked the name of the couple. So it wasn't the CAKE, it was the couple.

Do people even put names on wedding cakes anymore? What would they have been doing that was opposed to their religious beliefs?

If the cake was a generic wedding cake on the shelf then it would be discriminating. If it is a custom cake then the baker should have the ability to choose what he creates.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:11 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I assume that people are aware that Ivanka, like her father, is mostly in the business of licensing. "

I actually don't assume that most people are aware that Ivanka is in the business of licensing.

Sad
Sad

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:13 pm
glutenless wrote:
ITA. Just because something is the law, doesn't mean it's right. You can have whatever cake you want, as long as you find someone who's willing to make it for you. Nobody should be forced to sell something that they don't want to sell, they shouldn't have to justify their reasoning.

That is why, when opening a business it is prudent to get some legal opinions and learn what laws apply.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:13 pm
glutenless wrote:

So if all the local supermarkets decided that us folks killed their Lord and Savior, and in any case we're going to burn in h3ll, so they won't sell to us, you'd be fine with that.

If your car broke down on the highway, and the tow truck driver doesn't deal with "your kind," you'd support that.

If you went to buy a house, and were told "we don't sell to Jews," you'd be fine with that.

And if the local ice skating rink put up a sign, "no dogs or Jews," well, they shouldn't be forced to sell something they don't want to sell.

Or is it only gays that you're OK discriminating against.

gold21

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:17 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I assume that people are aware that Ivanka, like her father, is mostly in the business of licensing. Ivanka doesn't design clothes. Nor does she employ people who design clothing on her behalf. She licenses her name to another company, which creates a clothing line. In her case, the license is to G-III, which (according to its press releases) "is a leading manufacturer and distributor of outerwear, dresses, sportswear, swimwear, beachwear and women's suits, as well as handbags and luggage, under licensed brands, our own brands and private label brands. G-III sells swimwear, accessories and resort wear under our own Vilebrequin brand. G-III also sells outerwear and dresses under our own Andrew Marc, Marc New York and Marc Moto brands and has licensed these brands to select third parties in certain product categories. G-III has fashion licenses under the Calvin Klein, Sean John, Kenneth Cole, Cole Haan, Guess?, Jones New York, Jessica Simpson, Vince Camuto, Nine West, Ellen Tracy, Tommy Hilfiger, Kensie, Mac & Jac, Levi's and Dockers brands and sports licenses with the National Football League, National Basketball Association, Major League Baseball, National Hockey League, Touch by Alyssa Milano and more than 100 U.S. colleges and universities. Our other owned brands include Jessica Howard, Eliza J, Black Rivet, G-III, G-III Sports by Carl Banks and Winlit. G-III also operates retail stores under the Wilsons Leather, Vilebrequin, Andrew Marc and Calvin Klein Performance names."

That doesn't change how I feel about it

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:17 pm
happybeingamom wrote:
If the cake was a generic wedding cake on the shelf then it would be discriminating. If it is a custom cake then the baker should have the ability to choose what he creates.

Only if they are not discriminating. It's pretty clear that under the applicable laws these folks were not following the rules of public accommodation in the state where they were doing business. Again if you want to open a business get an attorney to advise you as to what business practices are legal.

gold21

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:23 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

By the way, the information quoted above makes it sound like Ivanka doesn't employ anyone at all and doesn't have a company altogether.

Didn't she leave Abigail Clem in charge of her brand while shes in Washington DC? She has a whole crew of women that she employs. And a couple men. I think.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:32 pm
gold21 wrote:
By the way, the information quoted above makes it sound like Ivanka doesn't employ anyone at all and doesn't have a company altogether.

Didn't she leave Abigail Clem in charge of her brand while shes in Washington DC? She has a whole crew of women that she employs. And a couple men. I think.

I'm not sure why you would think that licensng isn't a real business that employs real people.

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:39 pm
What is the endgame with the boycott? Are they going to influence Trump in some way and then magically Ivanka's brand will be promoted by Liberals?

I keep asking what the left hopes to gain with the tantrums, the boycotting, the vulgarity, the rioting, and shutting down of free speech.

The left has made me afraid of the long term effect of the civil unrest and lack of differing viewpoints.

gold21

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:40 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I'm not sure why you would think that licensng isn't a real business that employs real people.

That's kind of my point.... Tongue Out

The way the information was phrased, one would think Ivanka does nothing at all and simply licenses her name out to some other place while she sips mojitos on the beach.

She works hard, as do her employees, and I'm sure has a say in the designs. So why is it important or relevant to mention that she uses another company to design her clothes?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 1:43 pm
Squishy wrote:
What is the endgame with the boycott? Are they going to influence Trump in some way and then magically Ivanka's brand will be promoted by Liberals?

I keep asking what the left hopes to gain with the tantrums, the boycotting, the vulgarity, the rioting, and shutting down of free speech.

The left has made me afraid of the long term effect of the civil unrest and lack of differing viewpoints.

As a member of "the left", I know no one who is boycotting her line. But I also know no one who has purchased her merchandise.

Along the same lines, google Orthodox Jewish boycotts and see how many results you get.

gold21

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:22 pm
Truthfully, I have not found Ivanka Trump products that I loved.

I saw some of her shoes in DSW and they were cute but not amazing, and they were kinda pricey.

I would love to see more from her line. But I have not been a big Ivanka Trump shopper so far. But then again, you never know. I recently bought a pair of shoes by Jessica Simpson, and I had never liked any of her stuff before.

It's always hit or miss for me, with any line.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:44 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Have you ever been involved with a company like this? It sounds like you haven't. I have. You make it sound like all that needs to be done is stamp a logo on the tags, while the brand has absolutely no say in design, production, distribution and marketing. So Ivanka's employees cease to exist because she supports her father? Her feminist and empowering movement in the business world doesn't matter because a decade and a half ago, her father was recorded speaking vulgarities? So a great way to protest this is to boycott a feminist brand and have a March that included terrible profanities. And hey, in the other thread, Linda's background made no difference because she wasn't an elected official, but we can totally hold an elected official's discussion from way back when over his head like a current policy? And goodness, he says racist things that may or may not be true but this totally gives us the right to smash small business shop windows on Inauguration Day, and hold violent protests on campus because a (gay immigrant) speaker supports him?

Gosh, I didn't even vote for Trump and I am embarrassingly uninvolved in politics but this hypocrisy is mind-boggling. All I hear is "Everyone who supports Trump must be a bigot and racist and we are so much better than that because we are so kind and open to all kinds of people". Huh?

ETA: SixofWands, sorry for ranting, and I don't mean this personally. I appreciate your posts as they are usually not passionate ranting but I'm just puzzled by the general democratic attitude.

sourstix

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:53 pm
Six of wands woohoo! I read your first post. Exactly the point! I didn't need to read the rest.

Do u know that many frum Jews voted for trump now they're crying about his policies. Read the papers. Before election it was rosy trump now the ugly is showing. And I happen to be republican. But he's a disgrace! Not my type of republican.

To all of you that made me feel bad for not voting for trump. Shame on you. You didn't educate yourselves all you did was repeat some uneducated words you heard from neighbors, friends, parents and whatnot. Eat what you made for yourself.

So Hillary is a misery too. No choices for us.

Laiya

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 2:58 pm
Squishy wrote:

The endgame in general, is to get him impeached.

There's already a Soros-funded pac set up, devoted just to this.
http://freebeacon.com/uncatego.....ment/

Last edited by Laiya on Mon, Feb 13 2017, 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

gold21

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 3:00 pm
sourstix wrote:
Six of wands woohoo! I read your first post. Exactly the point! I didn't need to read the rest.

Do u know that many frum Jews voted for trump now they're crying about his policies. Read the papers. Before election it was rosy trump now the ugly is showing. And I happen to be republican. But he's a disgrace! Not my type of republican.

To all of you that made me feel bad for not voting for trump. Shame on you. You didn't educate yourselves all you did was repeat some uneducated words you heard from neighbors, friends, parents and whatnot. Eat what you made for yourself.

So Hillary is a misery too. No choices for us.

Hillary is not "a misery" and Trump voters are not "crying about his policies".

..... Speechless
Page 3 of 14   Previous  1  2  3  4 12  13  14  Next Recent Topics