Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do you and/or your husband have life insurance policies?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

syrima

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 11:34 pm
Yes we both do. Probably not enough to totally replace our current income but something.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 11:38 pm
momtra wrote:
Yes. We both have.
Shouldn't this be part of chasan/ kallah classes?
You never want your kids to be those orphans people in the community have to fundraise for.

DH and I were recently involved in raising $ for a family where the parent didn't have life insurance and people were like "a million dollars is nowhere near enough, they need much more than that..." and indeed, bH, we successfully raised well over a million dollars.

That got me thinking because DH and I have a million dollars coverage (each)...

What does everyone else have?

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 11:42 pm
We would, but can't afford it. DH has a preexisting medical condition which would put his premiums way up, and we often have trouble with the basics like food and diapers.

We have joined Areivim, which is at least a less embarrassing way of collecting tzedakah if chas veshalom it would come to that.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 11:55 pm
DH refuses to get one. He says it will put an ayin hara on him. He's sort of paranoid that way. I've begged and begged, but he won't listen. It's a big SB problem for me.

He's 67 years old, very overweight, and has a horrible diet. His father died fairly young, of a major heart attack. DH seems to believe that as long as he doesn't have insurance, he will stay healthy and live a long time. Delusion and denial. Rolling Eyes

I can't take a policy out on him, because he controls all of the money. I get enough money for taxis and lunch, and that's it - and I have to ask for it, and show receipts. Even if I walked everywhere, and packed my own lunches, I still wouldn't have enough to pay for a policy.

Of course, DH says there's not enough money for a policy on me, either, so if something happens to me, there's no support for DD. DH says to quit worrying about it, because I'm young. I keep telling him that anyone can get hit by a bus, but once his mind is made up, that's the end of discussion.

heidi

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 12:00 am
DH has a million dollar policy. He doesn't have one for me-- I keep telling him that my salary may be minimal, but getting someone to cook, do laundry and childcare will cost him a fortune. He's not convinced to get a policy for me.
My friend's husband dropped dead recently-- at the ripe old age of 50. I am so worried for her. They are one of those families that everyone is colecting for. . .

smilealot

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 2:58 am
Doesn't everyone that owns a house have to have life insurance to be eligible for mortgage? That's what we were told.

Brown

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 3:17 am
That's basic life insurance just to cover the morgage so the family won't be kicked out of their home. We both have life insurance and signed for Areivim besides. Some people do believe in not having life insurance. (Ayin hara etc.) Areivim was designed in a way that everyone agrees is not problematic. Would you're husband discuss it with a rabbi? My father, a"h, was nifter when we were young kids. He had life insurance and we were able to live well, b"h, I'm sure that's an additional zechus for my father.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 6:40 am
I begged DH to do it. (I have a policy through work.) He didn't like thinking about death so he put it off. Then he had a major health event.
He recovered but now we're paying a thousands of dollars each year for a sub-standard policy.
If anyone depends on your income PLEASE DO IT TODAY.

happyone

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 7:11 am
Yes. We both do. It's a priority before anything and basic responsibility. I've seen the struggles of parents who left orphans and the first hand ramifications. It's not a community's responsibility to support your children in the event of the death of a parent. It's YOUR priority to make sure there are funds in place.

Culturedpearls

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 8:18 am
Yes we both do & buy policies for our children when they get married.
If anything happens to either of us C"V at the very least money will not be another worry. A bereaved family has enough to worry about without adding money & collecting tzeddoka into the equation.
And to parents who have kids getting married, it's the best present you can give them.

joyful mom

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:06 am
Culturedpearls wrote:
Yes we both do & buy policies for our children when they get married.
If anything happens to either of us C"V at the very least money will not be another worry. A bereaved family has enough to worry about without adding money & collecting tzeddoka into the equation.
And to parents who have kids getting married, it's the best present you can give them.

What kind of policies do you buy for your children when they get married? Term policies or whole life?

sky

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:14 am
We both do - term.
What difference does it make if someone is a SAHM?

If a SAHM dies young ch'v with children at home - who will clean, do laundry, cook, babysit, etc? Even if a husband remarries he should have enough money that the extra work doesn't fall on a new wife
You still need life insurance even if you are a SAHM, it is expensive to replace all her jobs.

Raisin

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:34 am
We have on both of us.

We looked into areivim but it seems mostly concerned with marrying off the kids.

studying_torah

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:41 am
Wow, FF that must be so stressful.
Don't find the hug emoji on my phone, but here's one

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:48 am
Yes.
I believe it is vital for a couple to have one and like someone mentioned above, it should be taught in kallah and chosson classes and be one of the first purchases a bride and groom make together.

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:53 am
we both do

pause

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:53 am
Yes, on both of us.

rikki 1

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 9:54 am
I bought term for myself and in middle of updating mine to extend it. however my husband has a medical condition and we have never been able to add a huge premium for him so it's been on my mind that he doesn't have. I hope finances will settle down pretty soon, (husband getting a degree) and then I'm gonna push to get him a policy even though it will be very expensive.

As far as my policy (I have half a million), I have a part time job and also like others said, mothers are hard to replace.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
We would, but can't afford it. DH has a preexisting medical condition which would put his premiums way up, and we often have trouble with the basics like food and diapers.

We have joined Areivim, which is at least a less embarrassing way of collecting tzedakah if chas veshalom it would come to that.

Didn't know Areivim is still around. At least you realize it isn't life insurance. Read a good analysis a while back on why not to do it....

http://orthonomics.blogspot.co.....eivim

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Feb 13 2017, 10:22 am
We each have 30 year policies. DH- 1 million, me-500K.
Bought them as soon as our oldest kid was born.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics