Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Day Without Immigrants- In Your Community?
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 9  10  11  Next

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 2:59 pm
amother wrote:
OP here ~ thanks, please keep the answers coming, this is fascinating to me. I guess also at the end of the day people can report whether or not workers striked.

Also curious about public schools, colleges. Student/prof, anyone? I imagine that colleges would be encouraging of a strike/walkout because they are usually more liberal....? Anyone here at Bklyn college?

Update - two of my hispanic coworkers didn't come in. They are both young and live with their parents, so I'm assuming they don't need the money as much. Everyone else came in.

wondergirl

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 3:34 pm
glutenless wrote:
Why don't you think kollel guys are students? A lot of them are getting federal student grants or loans. A lot of them are also getting foodstamps and wic and medicaid. I do think the government should make people get a job or have a valid reason why they can't get a job, before giving them any type of money. But that goes for ALL people, why just college students?

If kollel guys are considered to be students then they should def meet the eligibility requirements to qualify for food stamps. My guess is that most of them have children/dependents which is one of the ways to qualify.

However, men between the ages of 18-26 have to register for Selective Service in order to be eligible for financial aid so not sure how the kollel guys who receive financial aid are evading this requirement-- http://www.finaid.org/students.....phtml

And recipients of Snap usually do have to work in order to be eligible for food stamps. States can request a waiver for it if they feel that the employment rate is low. I believe that New York did have a waiver up until recently for all neighborhoods and have now limited the waiver to certain areas so if you live in a neighborhood covered by the waiver then you are not required to work in order to be eligible for food stamps. (but I am not sure if students are covered by this waiver) https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/.....bawds

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:22 pm
gotta love meryl streep

sushilover

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 4:38 pm
Yeah...
If we could all stop conflating legal and illegal immigrants...
That would be great.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:28 pm
artz wrote:
To reply the Op
I went to the grocery today and I didn't know about this strike but was told by the counter that I will have schlep my bags. That is small compared to what the owners of these stores are going through. some of them rely a lot on their workers. and it seems like now they are drowning in work. Some of these worker are really a big help and if they are not there the stores cant function.
Thanks for the feedback!

amother
Red

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:29 pm
amother wrote:
Update - two of my hispanic coworkers didn't come in. They are both young and live with their parents, so I'm assuming they don't need the money as much. Everyone else came in.
Thanks for checking in!

Reality

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:43 pm
wondergirl wrote:
I believe that Jews were forced to work on Shabbos in America as well which is why the govt created laws to protect them from discrimination. Would you be okay with anyone breaking the discrimination laws and force you to work on Shabbos and fire you if you don't? Would it be okay if someone decides that these laws are ridiculous so they break it bc they can't be inconvenienced by Jews who keep Shabbos?

We also have immigration laws that foreigners are expected to follow. Do you think its okay for illegal aliens to break these laws or to say that the laws are ridiculous so lets just get rid of it so as to not inconvenience anyone who wants to come live in America?

Why are illegal aliens above the law?

Your first statement is completely untrue. The U.S. did not adopt a five day work week because of "discrimination". What a fractured fairy tale!

The U.S. changed to a five day work week in the 1930's. It was believed to help unemployment during the depression.

ROFL

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:52 pm
Ms Fox
Were you born in the U S ? I know you are old enough so can we all petition FOX for PRESIDENT!

Fox wrote:
I'm probably naive, but I've never understood why this is rocket science.

We need seasonal and low-wage labor that U.S. citizens are unable or unwilling to provide. So why not offer short-term work visas for individuals without significant criminal records?

* Charge a nominal cost for these work visas to cover processing and vetting costs as well as a minimal level of health insurance for guest workers.

* Provide permanent immigration advantages for guest workers who have paid taxes for X number of years; shown a history of employment; demonstrate English proficiency; and/or can show that they hire U.S. citizens.

* Put coyotes and human smugglers out of business by making it easier, cheaper, and more convenient to get a guest worker permit.

* Work with other countries as much as possible to pool information regarding possible criminals. Just as the U.S. doesn't want Mexico's criminals, Mexico doesn't want Guatamala's hoodlums.

In short, follow the digital piracy model: when it's easier and cheaper to do something legally, there is little incentive to do it illegally.

In addition, perhaps we should bring back the model of individual sponsorship. An individual or organized group of individuals would agree to sponsor a refugee/immigrant family for a period of time, including providing support and agreeing to incur civil penalities for criminal acts committed by the immigrants during that period. This would allow people to act compassionately but also ensure that they didn't pass along the costs of their compassion to others.

wondergirl

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 7:18 pm
Reality wrote:
Your first statement is completely untrue. The U.S. did not adopt a five day work week because of "discrimination". What a fractured fairy tale!

The U.S. changed to a five day work week in the 1930's. It was believed to help unemployment during the depression.

I did not say this at all so not sure where you are getting your information from. Perhaps you meant to respond to someone else? Please do not put any words into my mouth, I do not appreciate it.

Last edited by wondergirl on Fri, Feb 17 2017, 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 8:33 pm
OMG... when I came home from work, my nanny told me that a woman stopped her today and asked her to come work for her because her regular help didn't show up!!!
(I live OOT)

I didn't even hear about this till today.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 8:51 pm
marina wrote:
My opinion? Clean your own ****. Stop paying others to do it for you. Thanks for asking for my opinion.

Oh the word $**t sure comes to mind, when thinking about your disgusting attitude. Cant afford help? Well, dont give it out on others.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:22 pm
I work in an industry heavily populated by non americans. With about 100 employees, we have representatives of over 23 different countries. Yes, there are illegals there. No, we don't know who is legal and who isn't. If they have the proper paperwork to be hired, they're hired.
Most americans (legals) aren't interested in working for this industry. I've seen many hired and then quit. Or be terrible workers. So whoever is willing to work is given a job.

This week has been stressful. Would we have a crew of workers or not? My boss (who is a great person and always fair to his employees) called a meeting. He explained what he felt for them and what he needed from all of us-to please come to work. And he ended with "and if after this you still decide not to be here tomorrow, please let me know by 11am today".

Quite a few workers came to him and said they wouldn't be coming in. Those who came in after 11 were told they came too late and if they did not show up Thursday, don't come to work Friday. (The decision of what we would do and not do was made by 11 and orders were made, so it was a problem this late),

Thursday: 33 workers did not show. Some who said they weren't coming did come. Others who hadn't said anything did not show. That was about a third of our work force. A few of the later clean up crew came early to help with production. All in all, the day went fairly well in my eyes.

And the boss showed his appreciation by buying donuts and clementines for the workforce. A small but appreciated gesture of thanks.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 9:43 pm
Tri-State area rsident here. My cleaning help begged off today because of an injured fingernail (?) and there was a protest im the town square that made parking a nightmare - aha, see thiis thread and the light dawns...

Pardon me for sounding stupid, but why is this such such an issue? Why doesn't Trump revamp the immigration laws to make obtaining citizenship - and thereby obligating new citizens to pay their dues re: laws and taxes - instead of trying to deal with the symptoms, ie, the fallout and management of illegal immigration due to tangled immigration laws?! Make it easy to become a citizen = separate those immigrants willing to become productive members of society from the chaff, and deport the that "chaff". We're already supporting all the illegals on the programs already - giving them citizenship will not bankrupt the country any more than it is already.

Pardon my naivete, just curious.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:01 pm
Let's see, both Middle Eastern markets were closed, so was the Indian one and the Asian one. All ethnic restaurants were closed, Italian, Chinese (several), Thai, Vietnamese, Greek, Mexican etc. The Mexican and French bakeries were closed along with misc. other businesses owned by immigrants or their children. Other local non corporate restaurants were giving a share of their days receipts to a local fund for immigration atnys, and the local breweries as well. Over 100 research associates (typically grad students) attended a community town hall and about 50 faculty appeared. There were an awful lot of international students represented. The local clergy were out at the meeting including 2 Imans and 2 Rabbis, some Bahai, Quakers and Mennonites and a RCC Arch Bishop.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 2:32 am
glutenless wrote:
Why don't you think kollel guys are students? A lot of them are getting federal student grants or loans. A lot of them are also getting foodstamps and wic and medicaid. I do think the government should make people get a job or have a valid reason why they can't get a job, before giving them any type of money. But that goes for ALL people, why just college students?

Kollel wife here (by chance my husband does not receive financial aid but that's neither here nor there). The kollel pays a stipend of $900/month - I believe minimum wage 20 hours would amount to much more. So his hours are longer but he can definitely claim to receive wages. And I work to supplement that income as well. We are on Medicaid and receiving wic. And I see nothing wrong with that

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 3:34 am
Those "days" are out of control. It seems every day, week or month in America is something. Sometimes silly sometimes all dramatic. Good for those immigrants who can do impromptu vacay, I guess. I certainly wouldn't tolerate it.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 4:21 am
I'll be honest, I didn't notice a difference at all. My grocery store still delivered my groceries, my coworkers were her (there are 15,000 employees, so I didn't take a poll). The strike had no known effect on me.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 4:30 am
wondergirl wrote:
Thats silly, they will just lose money as their customers will just go to the grocery that is doing deliveries. And all because they didn't want to spend a little money and hire temp workers or yeshiva bochurim to make the deliveries. So they are cutting their nose off to spite their face and only hurting themselves in the process. Why would they do that? Rolling Eyes

You keep on saying that. As if yeshiva bochurim are looking for work during the zman. They aren't. Neither are kollel yungerleit. So yes, would be super nice to hire from the community but those people have a full time job already in yeshiva. They aren't looking to do low level work to supplement it.

And as far as all the other responses on this thread go--it makes me really sad. Yes, it's the second busiest shopping day in the frum world (apparently Wednesday is the actual busiest shopping day). Their point of doing this is that people should notice. I believe they are a big part of our economy. I can't fathom how people are so heartless about their plight. Yes, there are laws to be followed but I don't think their being here illegally means they don't respect our country. It means that they were in such desperate situations and had to do what it took to get to safety or a manageable lifestyle. I can't fault them for that. The same way I wouldn't fault holocaust survivors for getting here illegally and I wouldn't accuse them of not respecting the law simply because they were doing what they had to to save their lives. I say good for the immigrants standing up for themselves. I'm also impressed they are doing it in a much better way than another group that riots and causes destruction. I think they are making their point civilly and legally. They are valuable. They may not pay taxes but their minimum wages make up for it in terms of repaying our economy. I say shame on any employer who fires an employee over this. I'd like to think I'd pay my immigrants for the day off if I had immigrant workers (besides my cleaning lady I don't and I didn't need her this week). Besides, if someone has many employees who are already trained in it really makes no sense to replace them all at once.

Ironically enough I've heard from several Americans that it's unacceptable that they aren't working on Thursday and they should all be fired. Those same Americans used their first world privilege and called out sick from their own jobs within the past week and saw nothing wrong with that. Go figure.

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 5:03 am
amother wrote:
You keep on saying that. As if yeshiva bochurim are looking for work during the zman. They aren't. Neither are kollel yungerleit. So yes, would be super nice to hire from the community but those people have a full time job already in yeshiva. They aren't looking to do low level work to supplement it.

And as far as all the other responses on this thread go--it makes me really sad. Yes, it's the second busiest shopping day in the frum world (apparently Wednesday is the actual busiest shopping day). Their point of doing this is that people should notice. I believe they are a big part of our economy. I can't fathom how people are so heartless about their plight. Yes, there are laws to be followed but I don't think their being here illegally means they don't respect our country. It means that they were in such desperate situations and had to do what it took to get to safety or a manageable lifestyle. I can't fault them for that. The same way I wouldn't fault holocaust survivors for getting here illegally and I wouldn't accuse them of not respecting the law simply because they were doing what they had to to save their lives. I say good for the immigrants standing up for themselves. I'm also impressed they are doing it in a much better way than another group that riots and causes destruction. I think they are making their point civilly and legally. They are valuable. They may not pay taxes but their minimum wages make up for it in terms of repaying our economy. I say shame on any employer who fires an employee over this. I'd like to think I'd pay my immigrants for the day off if I had immigrant workers (besides my cleaning lady I don't and I didn't need her this week). Besides, if someone has many employees who are already trained in it really makes no sense to replace them all at once.

Ironically enough I've heard from several Americans that it's unacceptable that they aren't working on Thursday and they should all be fired. Those same Americans used their first world privilege and called out sick from their own jobs within the past week and saw nothing wrong with that. Go figure.

I am glad you are not a policy planner. So all the people who don't pay taxes are contributing because they are enhancing our economy? How is the government supposed to function with people self-selecting not to pay taxes? You also need to draw a line someplace where you stop accepting people because there are literally BILLIONS of people who are in desperate straits.

You also stereotype all immigrants as working in minimum wage job off the books. This is nonsense.

DH told me that yesterday of the 50 workers, 21 showed up. All the immigrant bosses showed up. They understood that the protest accomplished little but caused the guys to lose a payday. It is interesting that the successful guys went to work.

I saw this at my nail salon and the exotic green grocer I shop at in the non-frum area. They were open. If my cleaning lady didn't show when she was scheduled, I would get rid of her. [I find extra projects for her to do because she complains she needs hours. She owes me to be dependable.]

There are intelligent educated immigrants both of the legal and illegal type. They don't work for minimum wage. They don't care for this protest.

It is interesting that no one on this site, and we have immigrants and spouses of immigrants, reported they protested yesterday.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 6:22 am
Interesting that, supposedly liberals value *fairness* more strongly, and conservatives value *morality* more.

This thread seems to confirm that, based on the types of arguments posters are making.
Page 7 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics