Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Frum guy at press conference today
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Iymnok

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:23 pm
gold21 wrote:
You're deeply embarrassed by our Democratic election process?

Yeah because it's it's not very democratic.
I didn't get to vote for a republican candidate in the primaries because any decent possibility had already withdrawn by the time my state's voting opened.
The decision was already made. Crying

A two party system hardly represents the people.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:35 pm
sequoia wrote:
He needs to ask a shayla to work as a reporter??? Are you frickin kidding me?!

What does that even mean, "Jews should keep a low profile"? Like, Einstein shouldn't have shared the theory of relativity with the world? Sergey Brin shouldn't have created Google?

Piggybacking.

Since Trump was inaugurated, there have been about 50 bomb threats against JCCs.

A South Carolina man was arrested today for planning a synagogue shooting. http://www.timesofisrael.com/s.....ting/

There's been a huge uptick in all anti-semitic incidents since the election.

Darn straight I want someone to tell me what is being done. And darn straight its fair to ask of the self-proclaimed "least anti-Semitic person that you’ve ever seen."

gold21

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:35 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Yeah because it's it's not very democratic.
I didn't get to vote for a republican candidate in the primaries because any decent possibility had already withdrawn by the time my state's voting opened.
The decision was already made. Crying

OK. Fair point. I don't disagree, I think our two party system is deeply flawed. But the problems runs deep... Independent candidates generally don't go far because they are not being backed like their Dem/Rep opponents are. We need to do away with the political establishment if we want to create a more democratic election process. It's a major problem that needs to be addressed. It goes far beyond President Trump.

debsey

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 6:57 pm
gold21 wrote:
I actually didn't understand the frum guy's question either. I couldn't make out his point.

The question was poorly worded. I don't think he deserved to be attacked, but if you're a reporter, learn to ask concise questions.

"I'm sure, as your grandkid's "zayde", you're concerned about anti-semitism. What's your administration doing to combat it?" would have worked better.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 7:08 pm
sequoia wrote:
He needs to ask a shayla to work as a reporter??? Are you frickin kidding me?!

What does that even mean, "Jews should keep a low profile"? Like, Einstein shouldn't have shared the theory of relativity with the world? Sergey Brin shouldn't have created Google?

He should have a Rav with whom he discusses public actions. Especially important for someone who could easily make a big chillul Hashem.

Jews should be very careful in public. It is too easy for one side to become anti Jew

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 7:09 pm
debsey wrote:
The question was poorly worded. I don't think he deserved to be attacked, but if you're a reporter, learn to ask concise questions.

"I'm sure, as your grandkid's "zayde", you're concerned about anti-semitism. What's your administration doing to combat it?" would have worked better.
exactly

Jeanette

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 7:13 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I personally think Jews should keep a lower profile. We gained nothing by his presence, and could easily make a big chillul hashem. I hope he has a good Rav to ask shaylas of

Except when we're shopping and make a huge point of buying trump merchandise.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 7:14 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Except when we're shopping and make a huge point of buying trump merchandise.

That is a good point. I concede.

Jeanette

Post Thu, Feb 16 2017, 10:15 pm
I think Trump blundered by not realizing the depth of support for him among right wing Jews. He probably figured it was okay to insult the Jew because Jews don't vote for him anyway. Now the die-hard Trumpists have to choose between backing up the reporter or backing up Trump. Naturally the choice is to back Trump. It was the Jew's fault for asking his question in a clumsy way and drawing attention to himself.

Miri7

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 4:42 am
debsey wrote:

I agree - but we should give him a break. A lot of the reporters ask rambling questions. Even the more experienced ones from bigger outlets. And Trump cut him off.

Trump was upset that the question wasn't simple or easy (I forget the exact wording). But it did seem pretty straightforward- "hey, my community is concerned by these recent incidents, I know you have Jewish family, so I'm asking this so you can allay our concerns." The president should have taken the opportunity to give a thoughtful statement rather than dismiss and attack the reporter and then say he's the least racist and anti-Semitic human being, ever.

Why would he be such a jerk to the obviously Jewish guy?

5*Mom

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 6:21 am
Iymnok wrote:

In Israel we have a bajillion parties and they don't represent the people much either.

Simple1

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 6:41 am
And in an ironic twist, the mainstream left wing liberal media took his side. So it didn't turn out to be a "chillul Hashem."

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 7:24 am
I don't like the way Trump handled the reporter, but I don't think Trump "blundered." I believe it was deliberate. Trump was there to take his message directly to the people. He got to say what he wanted to say. He showed after Netanyahu that he is not a patsy for the Jews.

The media and the left were in a frenzy before. So they are still in a frenzy? Nothing new. They cried wolf too many times to be relevant.

The President is a lot smarter than he is given credit for. The self-described better educated liberals should realize Trump is cunning and appealing.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/16/s.....ters/

Laiya

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 7:51 am
Miri7 wrote:
I agree - but we should give him a break. A lot of the reporters ask rambling questions. Even the more experienced ones from bigger outlets. And Trump cut him off.

Trump was upset that the question wasn't simple or easy (I forget the exact wording). But it did seem pretty straightforward- "hey, my community is concerned by these recent incidents, I know you have Jewish family, so I'm asking this so you can allay our concerns." The president should have taken the opportunity to give a thoughtful statement rather than dismiss and attack the reporter and then say he's the least racist and anti-Semitic human being, ever.

Why would he be such a jerk to the obviously Jewish guy?

I'm pretty sure journalists get cut off all the time...

youngishbear

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 8:08 am
5*Mom wrote:
In Israel we have a bajillion parties and they don't represent the people much either.

In the US, a vote for the losing candidate is a "wasted" vote. That's across the board, in presidential elections as well as the Sentate and Congress. Some lower level governments might have different systems but in NY it works the same way on the local level. There's winner and a loser and that's that.

In parliamentary systems (not all though), parties get seats based on votes, so most votes count towards the outcome.

Jeanette

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 8:37 am
Squishy wrote:
I don't like the way Trump handled the reporter, but I don't think Trump "blundered." I believe it was deliberate. Trump was there to take his message directly to the people. He got to say what he wanted to say. He showed after Netanyahu that he is not a patsy for the Jews.

The media and the left were in a frenzy before. So they are still in a frenzy? Nothing new. They cried wolf too many times to be relevant.

The President is a lot smarter than he is given credit for. The self-described better educated liberals should realize Trump is cunning and appealing.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/16/s.....ters/

Here's the conclusion of that article:

"Yet the only sure and lasting way to keep ahead of the lynch mob is by producing results. Success will be Trump’s savior.

"And nothing says success like jobs, jobs, jobs. Getting the economy to reach lift-off speed is essential so it can deliver the good-paying jobs and prosperity that he promised and the nation needs."

Sure, he knows how to put on a show, play the media and throw red meat to his base. That's all he has in his bag at this point. Holding his base won't be enough to stay in power given his narrow margin of victory.

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 8:49 am
Jeanette wrote:
Here's the conclusion of that article:

"Yet the only sure and lasting way to keep ahead of the lynch mob is by producing results. Success will be Trump’s savior.

"And nothing says success like jobs, jobs, jobs. Getting the economy to reach lift-off speed is essential so it can deliver the good-paying jobs and prosperity that he promised and the nation needs."

Sure, he knows how to put on a show, play the media and throw red meat to his base. That's all he has in his bag at this point. Holding his base won't be enough to stay in power given his narrow margin of victory.

You wish that were true. He'll stay in power if he can hold his base, and I believe he will. His voters count more than the liberal voters because of the way our founding fathers set up the system.

The liberals need to organize something of substance rather than just oppose Trump. Right now they are yipping and yapping trying to sound like big dogs.

Jeanette

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 9:00 am
Squishy wrote:
You wish that were true. He'll stay in power if he can hold his base, and I believe he will. His voters count more than the liberal voters because of the way our founding fathers set up the system.

The liberals need to organize something of substance rather than just oppose Trump. Right now they are yipping and yapping trying to sound like big dogs.

He needs to do his job as president. Not so hard to understand.

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 9:37 am
Jeanette wrote:
He needs to do his job as president. Not so hard to understand.

But that wasn't what you were saying.

Jeanette

Post Fri, Feb 17 2017, 10:02 am
Squishy wrote:
But that wasn't what you were saying.

That is precisely what I am saying and what the NY Post article you linked to was saying. He is great at putting on a show for his base. They will keep buying what he's selling. But if he can't do his job as president the rest of the country is not going to stand idly by.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics