Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do you strip the beds when you're a guest?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

pause

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 6:31 pm
I ask because I don't always appreciate when guests do it and then I must wash the linen then. I prefer to wash it fresh before guests come rather than have it "freshly" washed for 2 months before the next time I have guests.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 7:39 pm
I never strip the linen. I make the beds. I would be quite annoyed if my guests stripped the linen.

sourstix

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 7:41 pm
I wouldn't either want guests to strip linen. I wanto do it when I'm ready.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 7:51 pm
I always ask what they prefer, because people really do have different preferences. If I strip the beds for someone who prefers that I not, then I haven't really helped them. I remember as a kid, one of my grandmothers always asked us to strip the beds when we left, and the other grandmother always said to please leave them. And in all the times I've been a guest, it really has been a coin toss- half say yes please and half say no thank you. Just ask.

smilealot

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 8:11 pm
I always strip my beds, and I thought my aunt was weird for not wanting it stripped but now I see that it's more common than I thought...

flowerpower

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 8:47 pm
cnc wrote:
I ask the hostess what she prefers because sometimes I don't want my own guests stripping the linen. If I'm not ready to wash them immediately, I don't want them laying around and taking up space.

That's my preference too. I don't like when they strip. I make the beds when I leave as a guest and let the host strip it when she is ready to...

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 9:32 pm
amother wrote:
What do you do, and does it make a difference if you're staying our your parents, family, friends, etc.?

No matter where I'm staying, I ask the host/hostess if they prefer I strip or not.

When guest sleep over at my house, I sometimes want the bed stripped and sometimes not. If I want it stripped I ask if they don't mind stripping it. And if I don't want it stripped, I ask them to please leave the linen on and I'll strip the bed when I'm ready to wash.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 10:25 pm
I always offer. I don't just do it automatically.

This made me think of the time we stayed with some distant cousins. When we arrived the parents were not home to greet us and some young kids showed us to our room. A boy returned 5 minutes later with a stack of sheets and told us it was for our beds. I pointed out that the beds were already made up. He said, "yeah, but that's from the last 3-4 guests we've had. My mom said to give you fresh." Ever since I'm much more picky about where I sleep.

newmom1987

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 10:59 pm
I'm glad so many people do this. My mother taught me to ask.

lucky14

Post Thu, Mar 09 2017, 11:09 pm
I always do, I never thought about how some people may not want to wash the sheets right away. I guess I'll ask from now on.

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 1:15 am
I hate when guests strip the linen. Especially when I ask them not to and they insist. It's so much more work for me.
I especially hate when guests strip the linen and then fold it. It's so much harder for me to get the linen into the washing machine. I have to first unfold the linen and shake it out so it could get properly washed. Hate it!
Best to ask the hostess what to do than to assume you're helping her!

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 1:36 am
It depends.

We always strip the beds at my parents and bring the linen down to the laundry room. We never strip the beds at my in laws because my MIL prefers to leave it for the housekeeper. When we go elsewhere we sometimes ask if we think of it and sometimes just strip the beds automatically.

I appreciate it when guests strip the beds in my house. I find it annoying when they fold everything though. I like to wash the linen fairly quickly and then I put on the sheets and pillowcases myself and leave the duvets for when my cleaning lady comes because she does a much better job than me. I grew up in a household where the guest beds were always made up in case of last minute company and I like to do the same.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 2:21 am
We don't have guest beds. Guests sleep in one of the kids' rooms. I much prefer that they strip the linen and dump it in a pile. It wouldn't bother me if they folded it (how much work is it to shake it a bit?) but no one has ever done that, and anyway, it's a waste of their effort if it's going straight to the wash.
At times we have had a spare room and I still prefer they strip. I don't like having used linen just sitting there. We always used our spare room for something -TV or toy room or whatever - and I would rather people weren't sitting on linen guests slept on.
I am actually annoyed when people don't strip because it's a lot more work for me. But like I said before, when I go to others I always ask, because everyone has their own way of doing things.

imasinger

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 2:56 am
amother wrote:

No matter where I'm staying, I ask the host/hostess if they prefer I strip or not.

amother wrote:

am actually annoyed when people don't strip because it's a lot more work for me.

I imagine these might get some interesting responses. shock Rolling Laughter

Be happy, it's Adar!

devash1

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 3:50 am
Thanks for the chuckle imasinger, I needed that this morning.

water_bear88

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 5:04 am
In answer to the extra 7 beds- I don't know anyone with that many extras. There may be a sofa bed or two, a day bed that's used without sheets unless it's being slept on, a trundle or two, an upper bunk that isn't currently in use, folding cots, air mattresses, or younger children of the house (and similarly aged guests) turned out of their beds to have a sleepover in the living room while the adults get the privacy of sleeping in bedrooms. Most people I've visited have had at least two of the above as options, but not more than two dedicated guest beds.

rzab

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 5:36 am
I think it makes things easier for me when my guests strip the beds, but I hate when they ask because I always so don't bother. I feel bad making yhem do it but like when it's done....

jewwoman

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 5:58 am
YES!!! Even when I stay at my parents or inlaws I strip beds. suppose I was brought up well.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 6:28 am
Never, and I don't want people to do it. I don't get to decide they can do laundry noooow. Who says I want to put the sheets to dry just now, fill the basket with the sheets etc. No no no.

water_bear88

Post Fri, Mar 10 2017, 6:47 am
jewwoman wrote:
YES!!! Even when I stay at my parents or inlaws I strip beds. suppose I was brought up well.

Being brought up well is not specifically about stripping the beds- it's about being causing minimal inconvenience to your hosts.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette