Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How much does a 3 bedroom apt go for in your area?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

gibberish

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
Why is Lakewood so much cheaper than pretty much anywhere else???
These apts are illegal basements apts, not real apts you would get elsewhere. Anytime a house is built, the basement is rented out, so there is an oversupply.

gold21

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 12:09 pm
gibberish wrote:
These apts are illegal basements apts, not real apts you would get elsewhere. Anytime a house is built, the basement is rented out, so there is an oversupply.

Oh, ok, interesting.
So the non-basement apartments in Lakewood are more expensive?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 12:14 pm
gibberish wrote:

Just saying, a lot of the new basements are perfectly legal.

gibberish

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 1:28 pm
gold21 wrote:
Oh, ok, interesting.
So the non-basement apartments in Lakewood are more expensive?

Yes, they are significantly more.

rikki 1

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 1:42 pm
There aren't that many non- basement apartments. just a few apartment buildings.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 1:53 pm
Approx 3000, queens

sky

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 1:58 pm
My understanding is that ALL basements in Lakewood are legal as long as they are built to code.

Its cheaper because there is a lot of new construction and tons of basements and they aren't being filled and people are desparate to rent. Its only recent they are so low. 2 1/2 years ago you couldn't get a 2 bedroom for under 1000. Prices flucutate.
The cost of buying doesn't align though. Housing is very expensive to buy.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 2:00 pm
sky wrote:
My understanding is that ALL basements in Lakewood are legal as long as they are built to code.

Its cheaper because there is a lot of new construction and tons of basements and they aren't being filled and people are desparate to rent. Its only recent they are so low. 2 1/2 years ago you couldn't get a 2 bedroom for under 1000. Prices flucutate.
The cost of buying doesn't align though. Housing is very expensive to buy.

How expensive to buy?

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 2:17 pm
Jerusalem. Not one of the particularly expensive areas.

Rents are about $1500-$1800
To buy is about $600K for a small, old, 3 bedroom apartment.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 2:29 pm
amother wrote:
How expensive to buy?

Depends where and what.
New construction homes in Lakewood Proper are 600,000 and go way, way up. Most have no land.
You can find older smaller homes for less. If you are want young neighborhood in Jackson you can do much cheaper at with a 3 bedroom home go as low as 350,000. (Busing is not guaranteed in Jackson)
Raintree you can also get smaller older home for less.
Toms River large 4 bedroom homes start at about 600,000 but you can get for 550,000 still in some areas. (no busing to Lakewood schools in Toms River)
Lots in desirable areas start at 350,000 and go up.
I'm sure there is a large range in these numbers but this is a basic idea.

But property taxes are minimum 10,000 on most homes and the larger construction new homes are at least 12,000 - so that adds a lot to the monthly payments, most basement rentals just cover the taxes. Basements in Toms River and Jackson are not rentable, taxes are slightly less, but on a large house you still pay high taxes.

Last edited by sky on Wed, Apr 05 2017, 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 2:30 pm
amother wrote:
How expensive to buy?

Minimum 539,000 for a new construction duplex (in a crowded area with not much land)

amother
Black

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 4:10 pm
monthly rent = approx. 1200 - 1800 euro - vienna (jewish neighbourhood)

price depends on condition, size, floor, heating system ... and does not include utilities/wifi/ insurence etc.)

gp2.0

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 4:51 pm
Flatbush ranges from $2000-$3000. It's still possible to find a 3 bedroom apt under $2000, but very rare. 2 bedroom in apt building in Flatbush is much cheaper and the rooms are usually big so they can be shared or split.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 4:53 pm
sima wrote:
How do the frum people in Brooklyn afford these kind of rents? It seriously boggles the mind. I'm talking about chassidish whether BP or Williamsburg. The ladies mostly stay home and the men, well I'm not sure what they do......
I don't mean this to instigate something here, I'm just really really curious bc we are working our ....... off and can't afford half that price. How do you do it!!!!

Young families aren't paying these prices. Many families stay in their $1500 one bedroom apt with 3-5 kids before moving on.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 5:12 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Flatbush ranges from $2000-$3000. It's still possible to find a 3 bedroom apt under $2000, but very rare. 2 bedroom in apt building in Flatbush is much cheaper and the rooms are usually big so they can be shared or split.

I'm surprised that it's so inexpensive, since people always say Brooklyn is so expensive.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 6:10 pm
amother wrote:
Why is Lakewood so much cheaper than pretty much anywhere else???

There isva charming apt bldg around the corner from BMG
A 2 bedroom is 800

There are 3 vacancies for the last 4 months

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 6:12 pm
sima wrote:
How do the frum people in Brooklyn afford these kind of rents? It seriously boggles the mind. I'm talking about chassidish whether BP or Williamsburg. The ladies mostly stay home and the men, well I'm not sure what they do......
I don't mean this to instigate something here, I'm just really really curious bc we are working our ....... off and can't afford half that price. How do you do it!!!!

Connectios connections connections. !!!!!

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 6:59 pm
salaries also tend to be higher in NY then OOT.
I find when people move to Lakewood and stop making the commute they find the salaries lower.

Blessed Mama

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 7:04 pm
Monsey is 2000 range for 3 bedroom. From 2 to 3 bedroom is a big doff in price, but from 3 to 4 isn't tht much of a difference

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Apr 05 2017, 7:14 pm
To those who wrote Boro Park $3000- $3500

How big a house- 20 ft, 25 ft, 30 ft?
Does size matter, hee hee?

How old a house?
What would rent go for a not modernized 3 bedroom apartment in a run down old house in BP?
Same $300-$3500?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating