Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Should I take back 20-year-old baby clothing?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 4:54 pm
I had a baby boy recently and don't have extra money to buy him clothing. My first boy is 20 years old and when he outgrew his baby clothing, I allowed a relative to use it for her children. Now that I had my own boy, she offered to send it back. Though it's been through several boys by now, she keeps things very well and claims that everything is still in great condition. I asked her what was in there since I didn't remember, and she said it was mostly stretchies and sweatsuits. I'm thinking of taking back the stretchies since those are pretty timeless, but will the sweatsuits look very old fashioned? My teenage daughter looked at some of my oldest son's baby pictures and she says that the sweatsuits that were worn 20 years ago are much looser fitting than today's baby clothing and that my baby will look very outdated in such wide clothes. Is this true? Are yesterday's sweatsuits out?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 4:57 pm
Does it really matter if a baby wears something that may look out dated? They lie there looking cute.
I say if need to save a buck or three take the clothing. People will love the baby no matter what they wear.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 5:00 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Does it really matter if a baby wears something that may look out dated? They lie there looking cute.
I say if need to save a buck or three take the clothing. People will love the baby no matter what they wear.

I tend to agree with you, but I have this teenager daughter to contend with. Wink

Seriously though, if it looks really ridiculous, then I do care also. I don't need him to be trendy, but I don't want it to be obvious that his clothing is 20 years old, kwim?

Iymnok

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 5:01 pm
Take the clothing and donate or toss what's really not useable today. Some will be okay, and assume that most is too dated.

Liba

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 5:01 pm
I agree, but then again, I am not so fashionable.

I saved my older children's baby clothing and would happily use them again, and so would they! They are all looking forward to dressing their children in the clothing they wore.

Granted, my oldest is only a few weeks shy of 19, not 20. Maybe by the time it is relevant she will see thing differently. Wink

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 5:26 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Take the clothing and donate or toss what's really not useable today. Some will be okay, and assume that most is too dated.

I guess what I'm asking is how to tell what's outdated since I'm not so attuned to what babies are wearing these days. Are loose-fitting sweatsuits a fashion faux pas?

Liba, I'm not fashionable either. That's why I'm not feeling confident about this.

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 5:33 pm
take it back. Use it for pjs and when baby is at home. Buy a few new outfits for when baby goes out and about. (or you will iyh get at least a few baby gifts)

From what I can see those one piece onesies have not changed all that much...I have pretty much similar to this from my oldest (18 now). http://www.marksandspencer.com.....irect

ectomorph

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 5:33 pm
My kids exclusively wear outdated clothing except for shabbos outfits which I make an effort to look fancier. People still think it's cute

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 5:38 pm
Its true that 2 peice pajama sets for older kids (6 months plus) are tighter now...but sleepsuits are the same.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 6:27 pm
Raisin wrote:
take it back. Use it for pjs and when baby is at home. Buy a few new outfits for when baby goes out and about. (or you will iyh get at least a few baby gifts)

From what I can see those one piece onesies have not changed all that much...I have pretty much similar to this from my oldest (18 now). http://www.marksandspencer.com.....irect

Right, so I assume stretchies are not an issue and will take those back. It's the 2-piece stuff I'm wondering about, specifically the pants, which my daughter claims are worn much tighter these days.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 6:28 pm
Raisin wrote:
Its true that 2 peice pajama sets for older kids (6 months plus) are tighter now...but sleepsuits are the same.

Okay, thanks. This is what I thought.

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:13 pm
Twenty years ago the clothes were less tight. I can't be the only person in the world who is not a fan of the new style. You can tell your dd that an anonymous person on the internet thinks the "old" style is classic and timeless. Judging from the reactions of my teenagers, I'm sure that'll get her to agree with you Wink

octopus

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:18 pm
I disagree. I would not take back clothes that have already been through a few kids. Sometimes ppl don't realize how worn the clothes are, and still think things are in "good condition" when they are really not. Your old clothes have gotten good use, so you don't need to feel guilty about it.. You buy your baby 5 new cheap outfits for each season, he can wear it until it wears out.Then toss.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:40 pm
Carters, children's place, cheap outfits in children's clothing store for $12.
Agree it got its use and I would be disgusted if someone wanted clothes back from 20 years ago. Go to target. There are cheaper clothes out there. Elastic are prob gone, they prob have stains....I don't know.

Happydance

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:45 pm
I am super chilled about styles but 20 years is 20 years!
It will look dated and a bit shlumpy.
There are so many gemachs you can find stuff in or I'm sure there is someone on this site that is giving away baby clothing.
Where do u live?

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:50 pm
I am not saying that the 20 year old clothes will be in good condition. I just like the looser styles better. It is always nice to have some backup clothes in the house, for the times that the laundry just isn't getting done or someone has a stomach virus. For those times, having disposable clothes in the house is really a gift. If you have the storage, I would keep at least some in a bag in the closet for those times. When your child has outgrown it, feel free to toss in one of those clothing recycling bins if you don't think it is donatable.

happyone

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 7:54 pm
Where are you located ? I can send you updated clothes perhaps.

shirachadasha

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:01 pm
happyone wrote:
Where are you located ? I can send you updated clothes perhaps.

Same offer from me.

cm

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 8:29 pm
Mazal tov on the birth of your son!

Go ahead and take the clothing back. Some may be usable, which will be a help. The rest can be donated to any organization that takes old clothes. It's a win-win.

Sometimes baby clothes don't come out of storage as nice as they went in - stains appear which may have been invisible years ago, and elastic breaks down. Your friend doesn't need to know if there are any problems.

For little babies, it doesn't matter if the sweats are looser, and as others have pointed out "extra" clothing always comes in handy.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Apr 23 2017, 9:07 pm
I have a 8 month old baby Boy now. When I was pregnant my parents had to empty the attic and basement out completely to make room for a grandparent to move in. Since I have room, and I am the only one married with kids now I went thru boxes and boxes and boxes of baby clothing wotj my mother that I and my siblings had worn. (I did keep the first 3 stretchies I ever wore)My mother is really not fashionable at all. We ended throwing out a lot. I put away the stuff that I felt didn't look too out dated and I use them at home sometimes but most stuff was close to 18 years old. I see that lots of stuff was very loose fitting which I don't like however not everything looked bad if u don't mind the style. There are also those few outfits which my baby wears all the time. I would take it and look thru it. Use some for pajamas. 2 piece outfits sometimes u can use one piece and match some thing else to it. (Use pants and put cuter top)
Mazel tov on your baby!
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics