Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Should I take back 20-year-old baby clothing?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 2:22 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Just so you know, sometimes it's the kid, not the parents.

I happen to have one child who is my favorite free-spirited little nerd on the planet...try as I might, she has this tendency to look shlumpy. It's like she just wants to look that way, and doesn't care about looks, though she's quite pretty B"AH..... She won't let me do anything cute to her hair (I'm pretty good at little braids, etc...), and she consistently chooses her most nerdy outfit as her favorite. She's sensory, and won't wear certain style clothes (like anything with shirring, or elastic anywhere that's uncomfortable, etc...) or shoes (no ankle straps, preferrably no buckles, will try to escape the house in sneakers on Shabbos afternoon....). I've learned not to buy clothes that she won't wear, and I can't always find fashionable stuff that she will...so lots of compromise comes into play. It's not worth fighting with her, so I tell myself it's okay to not be so fashionable, it's not a crime. I just do my best....

Lol. I have my own darling little shlump. That's not what I'm referring to.

sky

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 2:40 pm
I know but its all relative
- When I see boys of any age wearing leggings (especially short leggings) I wonder why?
- When I see babies wearing rompers that barely cover their diaper or chest I wonder why can't the parent put more on them - aren't they cold in homes or shuls with air conditioning.
Everyone has their own definition of what is well dressed and normal.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 2:43 pm
sky wrote:
I know but its all relative
- When I see boys of any age wearing leggings (especially short leggings) I wonder why?
- When I see babies wearing rompers that barely cover their diaper or chest I wonder why can't the parent put more on them - aren't they cold in homes or shuls with air conditioning.
Everyone has their own definition of what is well dressed and normal.

Are you and I the same person?

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 2:53 pm
What is wrong with putting a baby in a romper? It seems like the most comfortable way to dress them in the summer. Unless we have different definitions of romper?

I'm picturing something like these:

http://www.next.co.il/en/g752514s1#422576

http://www.next.co.il/en/go71032s3#987055

return2You

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 2:57 pm
Why the heck do people care how others choose to clothe their kids??!

water_bear88

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 2:57 pm
Are we talking about the same climate, in terms of temperature? I mean, I was getting "why isn't your baby wearing socks" when the baby wouldn't leave them on for two minutes and it was about 70 degrees. If I'm comfortable in sandals in that weather, why on earth would I fight with my kid over socks?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 2:59 pm
amother wrote:
What is wrong with putting a baby in a romper? It seems like the most comfortable way to dress them in the summer. Unless we have different definitions of romper?

I'm picturing something like these:

http://www.next.co.il/en/g752514s1#422576

http://www.next.co.il/en/go71032s3#987055

Nope those aren't what we are talking about

Picture diaper covers with suspenders

In winter I've seen them over thick tights. Nothing worse on a baby with pudgy thighs.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 3:18 pm
return2You wrote:

Just because I couldn't like it twice.

OK, I do judge one thing -- kids should be in clothes they can play in. Other than that ... to each his own. And if someone is going to judge me because I put a baby in loose-fitting sweatpants instead of fitted ones, its probably not someone I'd want to hang with anyway.

And FTR, I'm someone who loves fashion, and always loved buying things for my kids. That's me. I don't hold other people to it.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 3:35 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Nope those aren't what we are talking about

Picture diaper covers with suspenders

In winter I've seen them over thick tights. Nothing worse on a baby with pudgy thighs.

Oh. My friend just took baby pictures of her son wearing something like this. No shirt. I was a little surprised.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 3:45 pm
return2You wrote:

Don't care. But I do wonder why they don't care.

cm

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 3:54 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Don't care. But I do wonder why they don't care.

In other words, you do care how other people dress their kids.

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 3:56 pm
I wouldn't want 20 years of possibly ruined clothes ... however, I might sift through them for the classics and/or unique vintage

my daughter inherited one of my outfits from when I was a kid that we once found in mama's closets - I loved seeing her in it - ah the memories

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:05 pm
cm wrote:
In other words, you do care how other people dress their kids.

Why are those one and the same?

Pesek zman thinks my babys clothing is ridiculous. Does that mean she cares?

Fox

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:05 pm
Crocheted lederhosen? I've clearly been out of the baby fashion world for a long, long time.

Doesn't everyone have some true monstrosities in their babies' wardrobes?

I remember my MIL got a "bargain" -- 20 stretchies for $1.50 or something. I think they were all defective. Some had minor problems like unraveled seams, but others had mismatched snaps or other serious show-stoppers.

Of course, I thanked MIL effusively and thanked her again when I discovered just how many stretchies can be spit up on during a given day. I used the gift-cache of stretchies exclusively for days when we weren't going out and for nights. Truthfully, they came in pretty handy. I could keep the nicer clothes for when we were in the civilized world.

So I don't think you have to go to one extreme or the other. Save the dated, tacky, or just plain ugly stuff for times when your baby is not on display. It will help ease the laundry situation without ruining his shidduch prospects in 20 years.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:20 pm
Fox wrote:
Crocheted lederhosen? I've clearly been out of the baby fashion world for a long, long time.

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Not worthy Not worthy Not worthy Not worthy Not worthy

Congratulations. You won the internet today.

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:28 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Not worthy Not worthy Not worthy Not worthy Not worthy

Congratulations. You won the internet today.

Seriously though--is this back in style or is my friend totally clueless?

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:30 pm
amother wrote:

Yes it is back in style. For pictures it is worn without a shirt. Otherwise it is worn with a plain white shell.

My baby in his lederhosen:

Last edited by mommy3b2c on Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:31 pm
amother wrote:

I think that its the kind of thing that people think is cute for photos, but that people otherwise don't put on their kids.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:33 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I think that its the kind of thing that people think is cute for photos, but that people otherwise don't put on their kids.

Or maybe some do 😀

http://I.imgur.com/1ZhUCeE.jpg

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Apr 24 2017, 4:38 pm
Someone got me these 2 outfits as a baby gift:

http://www.next.co.il/en/go61008s6#967762

http://www.next.co.il/en/g6a2270s4#455868

Similar concept? (I'm fashion clueless.)
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics