Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What color kitchen is in style?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 3:20 am
amother wrote:
All you said is true. BUT
when you are working with a smallish space or a space that doesnt get a lot of natural sunlight, you want bright and airy. You don't want claustrophobic and dark. As per Rubber Ducky's advice a year ago Wink : vertical surfaces affect the brightness way more than horizontal. Hence the white cabinets and white backsplash but dark counters and medium-dark floors. I can get away with washing my floor once a week because it hides the dirt so well!

This actually does make sense, I just don't like cleaning Smile

Not to hijack, but does this "vertical brightness rule" apply to other rooms too?

I'm in Israel and people here tend to do light colored floors and dark wood furniture because they want the room to look bright but they think dark wood furniture is richer looking. They also wash their floors every night, which is not something I plan on doing in the apt we are buying. Wink
I was at an apt. recently where they did something brilliant - they put in dark gray tiled floors but their seforim shelves and walls were white and the apt seemed so bright and airy. I'm wondering if it is because of Rubber Ducky's rule. If so, I'm a fan!

(My kitchen is IY"H going to have full glass sliding doors leading to a bright yard, so I'm hoping it will get the natural light and I can still go with darker cabinets.)

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 22 2017, 4:25 am
White cabinets are harder to keep clean than wood. Dark wood can be overwhelming.

But who cares what's in style? You spend hours in the kitchen, so make it something you like. Unless it's truly bizarre, it won't affect resale values. If you are planning to sell in less than five years, I might say to go with something safe, but if you are planning to be in the house for a while, get what you love. The kitchen will be out of date when you sell no matter what you do.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 2:59 pm
Are these type of subway beveled kitchen tiles dated? http://www.thebuilderdepot.com......html

mommyofd1

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:
Are these type of subway beveled kitchen tiles dated? http://www.thebuilderdepot.com......html

Not at all, those are very trendy!

mommyofd1

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
I have black stone counters, white cabinets and a light gray backsplash in my rented apt.

I don't mind the upper cabinets, although they do get finger prints easily, but I find that the bottom white cabinets always looks dirty unless I clean them every day (and I don't!).

On the other hand, counter tops are very easy to clean - no need to bend down or stand on anything to reach them, so I would go with lighter counter tops and darker cabinets.

I also hate my backsplash - it shows every little splash, so I would prefer a darker backsplash or a mix of colors.

(Also, don't get white floors in your kitchen, unless you plan on mopping every hour.)

Something like this would solve the issue of dirty bottom cabinets but will still make the kitchen bright and airy. Plus, this is a classic look that won't go out of style so fast.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pini.....1.jpg

amother
Wine

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 4:07 pm
mommyofd1 wrote:
Not at all, those are very trendy!

Thanks! I chose a similar one (more of a gloss look), but then started doubting it. I'm not very good with styles though this kitchen won't be done up again anytime soon so want to do it right...

dancingqueen

Post Tue, May 23 2017, 4:12 pm
I've had my white kitchen for a few years and it was super popular then and continues to be now, based on friends doing renovations now. Its true that in 20 years it could be out of date, but its important to enjoy your kitchen while you use it. I'm biased but I love the white and its hard to imagine someone finding it gross in the future.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen