Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
The king who had no clothes... Do you remember it?
1  2  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:04 pm
The spin-off about 'stupit' posts and questions reminded of this story;

There was once a king who's tailor told him he will make him clothing that only very clever folks can see.
When the clothes were done, the tailor delivered them to the king. The king didnt see any clothing but what should he do now? If he admits that he doesn't see them, he admits that he's not being clever.
So the king went into the dressing room, took off his clothing and... All his subjects secretly realized what a foolish king they have but were afraid to voice it for fear that they will be judjed as not clever.
I'm sorry I forgot how this story ends but the moral is that sometimes we think we are definitely clever and someone else is stupit.
But really,
Who can judje whos post or comment is really stupit?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:11 pm
The fable's name is 'The Emperor's new clothes'.

Water Stones

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:59 pm
The children were the ones to say "but he's naked"!

Their innocence made them not fools.

(Question, please: did I put the ! in the correct place? It goes in the quote or outside the quote? )

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 8:03 pm
Seashells wrote:

(Question, please: did I put the ! in the correct place? It goes in the quote or outside the quote? )

Depends on what your intent is. Did the children exclaim "but he has no clothes!"? Inside. Are you exclaiming that the children( of all people!) said he has no clothes? Outside.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 8:19 pm
I love Andersen.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 8:41 pm
sequoia wrote:
I love Andersen.

Windows?

The only result Google gives me is Andersen windoes.

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 8:45 pm
amother wrote:
Windows?

Hans Christian Andersen, Danish author best known for his beloved children's fairy tales. I guess nobody reads them any more.They belonged to a less technological age.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 8:46 pm
amother wrote:
Windows?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....othes

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 8:47 pm
zaq wrote:
Hans Christian Andersen, Danish author best known for his beloved children's fairy tales. I guess nobody reads them any more.They belonged to a less technological age.

People who read, read them.

What has technology to do with it? There were Philistines in every age.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 8:50 pm
Actually, I think I first heard this story on sesame street (35 years ago) embarrassed

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 8:54 pm
I would hardly call someone a Philistine just because she never heard of HC Andersen. I haven't heard his name mentioned since my own childhood, which was a loooong time ago, and I didn't see his books in the public library when my children were of an age to read them.

Of course fairy tales have been declared politically incorrect and deemed harmful to young psyches.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:03 pm
zaq wrote:
I would hardly call someone a Philistine just because she never heard of HC Andersen. I haven't heard his name mentioned since my own childhood, which was a loooong time ago, and I didn't see his books in the public library when my children were of an age to read them.

Of course fairy tales have been declared politically incorrect and deemed harmful to young psyches.

I don't think that Anderson or Grimm for that matter are widely read by some groups of Jews. I think it's a cultural thing. I know out here in blue America folks are still reading them and local theater is doing some terrific productions of the stories. I also know that they are forbidden to uber right wing xtians.

simcha2

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:11 pm
I can hear Hans Christian Andersen's name without thinking of Danny Kaye. A nice Jewish boy.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:16 pm
Seashells wrote:

I believe either works - once researched it but too lazy to do it now. Should be easy to search on Google.

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:16 pm
simcha2 wrote:
I can hear Hans Christian Andersen's name without thinking of Danny Kaye. A nice Jewish boy.

YOU STOLE MY POST!!! LOL

I love Hans Christian Anderson and I love his stories. I have a few books of the originals and my kids enjoy them too. But nothing will top watching Mademoiselle Dora as the Little Mermaid.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:25 pm
I made a fairytale spinoff over in The Reading Room.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:35 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I don't think that Anderson or Grimm for that matter are widely read by some groups of Jews. I think it's a cultural thing. I know out here in blue America folks are still reading them and local theater is doing some terrific productions of the stories. I also know that they are forbidden to uber right wing xtians.

I grew up with both of these authors, but at a certain point my mother got rid of fairy tales. My younger siblings did not have them. R' Yaakov Kaminetsky was opposed to children reading fairy tales. I don't give them to my (young) children either, though they certainly have read works of fantasy and fiction (Harry Potter!) at an older age.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:37 pm
How horrible.

simcha2

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:37 pm
watergirl wrote:
YOU STOLE MY POST!!! LOL

I love Hans Christian Anderson and I love his stories. I have a few books of the originals and my kids enjoy them too. But nothing will top watching Mademoiselle Dora as the Little Mermaid.

I'm just glad someone (anyone) can relate! It's "inchworm" which gets me every time.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:54 pm
sequoia wrote:
How horrible.

Why?

There's plenty of good literature for children without fairy tales...I slept poorly as a young child and had lots of nightmares, and none of my kids have taken after me. I'd rather give them happier, fuzzy reading (Little House books, etc...)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics