Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What's a normal weekly food budget?
1  2  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 10:18 am
Trying to be more budgeted. What is a normal amount to spend on food every week (for a family of 5)?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 10:19 am
$250 a week

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 10:23 am
Obviously it's going to depend on where you live, how old the children are, and how much you use premade foods.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 10:26 am
amother wrote:
Obviously it's going to depend on where you live, how old the children are, and how much you use premade foods.

Family of five in tristate area. Yup we use premade food, esp for the kids (pizza, fish sticks etc).

I thought 150 was reasonable but finding it pretty tight to get everything we need for that price...

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 10:57 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
$250 a week

Seems too little? No?

Are you counting Shabbos? Do ur kids get school lunches? What does this include? I'm guessing you don't eat alot of meat /chicken?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 10:58 am
amother wrote:
Seems too little? No?

Are you counting Shabbos? Do ur kids get school lunches? What does this include? I'm guessing you don't eat alot of meat /chicken?

Includes shabbos. We eat meat and chicken every single day. They get school lunch. I shop in pomegranate. It may be $300 some weeks as well.

frumPA

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 11:00 am
Pomegranate is very overpriced. if you go to Moishas you will save alot!

frumPA

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 11:01 am
Family of 5 in Brooklyn we spend around $200 a week and sometimes even less depends on the week.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 11:01 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Includes shabbos. We eat meat and chicken every single day. They get school lunch. I shop in pomegranate. It may be $300 some weeks as well.

I'm also including Shabbos, I have 3 little kids and no school lunches. I shop at the kosher store because no time or energy to go to a bunch of stores with little kids...

simba

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 11:02 am
Family of 4. $500 includes Shabbos (I usually have guests both meals) and that is considered a good week. I try to get it lower but seems I must be good at other things!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 11:05 am
simba wrote:
Family of 4. $500 includes Shabbos (I usually have guests both meals) and that is considered a good week. I try to get it lower but seems I must be good at other things!

Wow all these posts make me feel better. Doesn't seem like I'm crazy for finding 150/week tight.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 11:26 am
Family of 4 $300 school lunches.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 11:59 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

Wow! $250 seems like a great deal for all this!
We're a family of 4 (two adults, one toddler and one infant who obviously doesn't eat food yet) and I spend $400 a week.

mha3484

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:02 pm
Family of 4 who eat. one gets school lunch the other will also get lunch next year. I buy some prepared foods. My budget is approximately 250 a week.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:11 pm
frumPA wrote:
Pomegranate is very overpriced. if you go to Moishas you will save alot!

I know. But I just hate moishas. And I love pomegranate!

Sometimes you choose to pay more for an experience.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 12:57 pm
Also around 250

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 1:28 pm
Minimum $100 per person in my household. Kids are older. No school lunches. Health conscious kids. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Organic for 2 who have health issues.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 1:57 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I know. But I just hate moishas. And I love pomegranate!

Sometimes you choose to pay more for an experience.

Lol. What was that hug for?!!

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 2:33 pm
Around $850-900/month (I spend more on staples, etc at the beginning of the month when we get paid and buy only perishables and absolute necessities later in the month when money is tighter).

Family of 4, Lakewood. School lunches (but they don't like them, so often take from home). Not a lot of prepared food but I do buy 'snack bags' for school and home. We eat fleshing 2-3 x/wk (besides Shabbos) but tend to eat cheaper ones (wings, gr mt, etc). Also buy pizza once a week ($10 for one pie + $4 for fries, DH & I will often supplement our supper after kids have eaten).

I am good at shopping sales but don't always have the time to do it. I could prob manage on less if I tried (and when money is tighter than usual, we do)

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 3:43 pm
How can u spend 250 at pomegranate including shabbos that sounds not doable
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics