Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How do ppl afford it? Living in EY.
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

LisaS

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 2:20 pm
Don't look now for the apartment you'll want to live in in 10 years. Buy the apartment you can afford now and that is likely to appreciate over the next 10 years. When you come then you can sell it and choose where to buy.

The biggest material adjustment will be moving into a much smaller space than you have now, forcing you to get rid of many of your belongings. I say that not knowing where you live or what size home.

Over time you will learn to live within your means on an Israeli budget. Just like you did in the US you'll do it here.

WastingTime

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 2:38 pm
Israeli charedim do manage on very little
As of a family of 7, we spend about 15-20 thousand shekel monthly. We have no mortgage bH.
We have a car (mostly only local driving).
Although I do know quite a few families being supported, fully or somewhat, many ppl do make their own way ,often with both spouses working

juggling

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 2:42 pm
15-20 thousand shekels with no mortgage is not so crazy tight. Nothing like the $2500 op is talking about.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 2:43 pm
WastingTime wrote:
Israeli charedim do manage on very little
As of a family of 7, we spend about 15-20 thousand shekel monthly. We have no mortgage bH.
We have a car (mostly only local driving).
Although I do know quite a few families being supported, fully or somewhat, many ppl do make their own way ,often with both spouses working
20k isnt a little. I think women before were referring to amounts much less than that.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 2:46 pm
We are not and we're not supported.
We bought our large apartment on paper for 1.3m nis. It is now worth about 1.8m. We pay under 2000nis/month in mortgage. It. Is. Just outside of Jerusalem, so the price is lower, but the space is much larger. Mirpeset too. Because of our lifestyle, our utilities are low. (5 kids).

There are many ways to get well priced food here. We get our chicken and meat from large orders every few months. We eat Eida, Rubin, Shearis, Machpud. The meat is from a South American shipment. Presently chicken legs are very expensive, wings are cheap, we usually get whole chickens or backs. We try to stay at or under 20/kg. Meat, we order a case for cholent(#8) and #3/brisket for about 40-50/kg, if I remember right.
Fruits and veggies we buy in season.
White bread and basic dairy is price controlled.
Grains and legumes can be bought in bulk for cheaper. Once you learn how to check for bugs, it's really no biggie.
Osher Ad is cheaper for some things, but like anywhere, think before you spend. Sometimes your local makolet is cheaper. Mine is selling milk for 3.90/L.

As above, most people do not have cars if they live in a place with decent busses. That's most places. The car itself may not be much with the Aliyah benefits, but the gas is. Insurance does not include guest drivers without a higher premium.
(My dream right now is a golf cart). But convert your license even if you don't get a car right away. You only need one lesson, not the full 40.

Get your air conditioner from someone who knows the science of it. Each home has a different airflow, so different units are ideal. Having the best system in your home saves money and energy while it's running.

Once you arrive, figure out what social benefits you're entitled to.

I think healthcare will be your biggest saving. There are special benefits for seniors. Including live-in help if needed.

WastingTime

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 3:14 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
20k isnt a little. I think women before were referring to amounts much less than that.

Sorry didn't read my post over before posting!
I was saying 2 separate points.
1 Israeli charedim know how to live very cheaply
(Anglos generally have a higher standard, whether charedi or not)
2 we personally spend 15 to 20

And yes even top hechsherim meat and chicken is much cheaper than was previously mentioned

WastingTime

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 3:19 pm
Iymnok wrote:
We are not and we're not supported.
We bought our large apartment on paper for 1.3m nis. It is now worth about 1.8m. We pay under 2000nis/month in mortgage. It. Is. Just outside of Jerusalem, so the price is lower, but the space is much larger. Mirpeset too. Because of our lifestyle, our utilities are low. (5 kids).

There are many ways to get well priced food here. We get our chicken and meat from large orders every few months. We eat Eida, Rubin, Shearis, Machpud. The meat is from a South American shipment. Presently chicken legs are very expensive, wings are cheap, we usually get whole chickens or backs. We try to stay at or under 20/kg. Meat, we order a case for cholent(#8) and #3/brisket for about 40-50/kg, if I remember right.
Fruits and veggies we buy in season.
White bread and basic dairy is price controlled.
Grains and legumes can be bought in bulk for cheaper. Once you learn how to check for bugs, it's really no biggie.
Osher Ad is cheaper for some things, but like anywhere, think before you spend. Sometimes your local makolet is cheaper. Mine is selling milk for 3.90/L.

As above, most people do not have cars if they live in a place with decent busses. That's most places. The car itself may not be much with the Aliyah benefits, but the gas is. Insurance does not include guest drivers without a higher premium.
(My dream right now is a golf cart). But convert your license even if you don't get a car right away. You only need one lesson, not the full 40.

Get your air conditioner from someone who knows the science of it. Each home has a different airflow, so different units are ideal. Having the best system in your home saves money and energy while it's running.

Once you arrive, figure out what social benefits you're entitled to.

I think healthcare will be your biggest saving. There are special benefits for seniors. Including live-in help if needed.

That's not an across the board policy in the least. Both insurance plans I've had on my car including guest drivers with certain qualifications for no extra fee.

And those South American beef sales are great, brisket is only 38 per kilo.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 3:20 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

To be fair, OP's $2500 for 2 people is more than 15 - 20k shekel for 7!

juggling

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 3:49 pm
amother wrote:
To be fair, OP's $2500 for 2 people is more than 15 - 20k shekel for 7!

Like I said, maybe it can be done. I have no idea what's a reasonable budget for 2 empty-nesters without a mortgage. That's why I suggested nbn as a resource.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 4:07 pm
WastingTime wrote:
That's not an across the board policy in the least. Both insurance plans I've had on my car including guest drivers with certain qualifications for no extra fee.

And those South American beef sales are great, brisket is only 38 per kilo.

Thanks, I wouldn't know, I don't even drive.

We sometimes split a case, I mean what would you do with seven tongues? Especially before Yom Tov when I want to try a different cut.
Since my mother doesn't like red meat I only know it by the numbers here. I have no idea what the American terms refer to.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 4:42 pm
OP Here
We are going to look for an apartment now
And worry about everything else when we are ready.
It's a good investment reguardless

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 4:46 pm
This is a land of miracles.

You hit it - Israel is a land of miracles.
Though Hashem Performs miracles for the Jewish people wherever they live.

But living in Israel already several decades I will testify that living here is one BIG miracle, and ... a BIG zchus

Whoever you ask here how they manage financially, is going to give you a different answer, or perhaps similar answers, but you won't get the exact same answer.

Not all chutzniks who live here are supported financially by their parents/parents-in-law. We aren't. Never were. We knew our parents couldn't afford to. Same way, we can't afford to support our married kids, and they understand it.

Not all people living here own apts. The (young) couples who do, nowadays most pay
a "shlish" third of the mortgage and both sides (parents) also pay a third. Many families, the husband works half day, learns half day, or works all days and learns with a chavrusa or attends a night shiur, to bring in some income. Wife works too.

True there are also many kollel families where the husband learns all day, but then the wife shoulders one or two jobs, plus running her own family.
Some women are built for this type of life.

Some are not.

Foodstuff is much cheaper here than the country where I hail from. But then the work-wage in Israel is also lower compared to other countries.

B'H my husband has a car from the place where he works. A car is a verrrrrrry expensive commodity to upkeep esp. here in Israel where finances are hard.

I think that many Israelies live from gemach to gemach - borrowing from one money gemach to pay of the previous one. Not an advisable idea. But, many can't help but live this way.

I think even with both husband and wife working, most families barely "cover the month."

It says - "Eretz Yisrael nikneh b'yissurim," but the zchus of living here, (some people only get
to come to E'Y to be buried here) I feel, overrides the diffficulty, if one can think into that.

True, it's very hard. But, it's just awesome!!!

I'm sorry if I wasn't much help in answering your questions. I think the basic answer is: people here manage without managing.

Just BTW your question of how Israelis manage to go to hotels, vacations e.t.c
I feel it's important to remember that poor people need vacations, and are eligible to have it, just as the wealthy are eligible.
I feel it's not right to judge.
Poor, wealthy, they're ALL human!

I will end off with one more thing - having b'H married off a few children here in E'Y, I feel this
is the BIGGEST miracle - managing to finance a wedding in E'Y, with Hashem's Everlasting
Kindness and Mercy and Help.

Whatever you do should be with a lot of brocha and hatzlocha, be'H.

I welcome you warmly to the Holy Land whenever you be'H come to live here, and may
Hashem make your life here easy, sweet and with tremendous joy and nachas, gezunterheit.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
This is a land of miracles.

You hit it - Israel is a land of miracles.
Though Hashem Performs miracles for the Jewish people wherever they live.

But living in Israel already several decades I will testify that living here is one BIG miracle, and ... a BIG zchus

Whoever you ask here how they manage financially, is going to give you a different answer, or perhaps similar answers, but you won't get the exact same answer.

Not all chutzniks who live here are supported financially by their parents/parents-in-law. We aren't. Never were. We knew our parents couldn't afford to. Same way, we can't afford to support our married kids, and they understand it.

Not all people living here own apts. The (young) couples who do, nowadays most pay
a "shlish" third of the mortgage and both sides (parents) also pay a third. Many families, the husband works half day, learns half day, or works all days and learns with a chavrusa or attends a night shiur, to bring in some income. Wife works too.

True there are also many kollel families where the husband learns all day, but then the wife shoulders one or two jobs, plus running her own family.
Some women are built for this type of life.

Some are not.

Foodstuff is much cheaper here than the country where I hail from. But then the work-wage in Israel is also lower compared to other countries.

B'H my husband has a car from the place where he works. A car is a verrrrrrry expensive commodity to upkeep esp. here in Israel where finances are hard.

I think that many Israelies live from gemach to gemach - borrowing from one money gemach to pay of the previous one. Not an advisable idea. But, many can't help but live this way.

I think even with both husband and wife working, most families barely "cover the month."

It says - "Eretz Yisrael nikneh b'yissurim," but the zchus of living here, (some people only get
to come to E'Y to be buried here) I feel, overrides the diffficulty, if one can think into that.

True, it's very hard. But, it's just awesome!!!

I'm sorry if I wasn't much help in answering your questions. I think the basic answer is: people here manage without managing.

Just BTW your question of how Israelis manage to go to hotels, vacations e.t.c
I feel it's important to remember that poor people need vacations, and are eligible to have it, just as the wealthy are eligible.
I feel it's not right to judge.
Poor, wealthy, they're ALL human!

I will end off with one more thing - having b'H married off a few children here in E'Y, I feel this
is the BIGGEST miracle - managing to finance a wedding in E'Y, with Hashem's Everlasting
Kindness and Mercy and Help.

Whatever you do should be with a lot of brocha and hatzlocha, be'H.

I welcome you warmly to the Holy Land whenever you be'H come to live here, and may
Hashem make your life here easy, sweet and with tremendous joy and nachas, gezunterheit.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Aquamarine your post was beautiful.
Thanks

Teomima

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 5:22 pm
shabbatiscoming, I can't like your post enough!

OP and other posters, you can't compare US and Israeli prices. They're just different worlds. And if you want to afford life like an Israeli, then shop, eat, and live like an Israeli. And if it's only the two of you, forget the supermarket entirely and shop at your local shuk.

And mine one of those (apparently rare, according to what lots of women are posting here) families that supports ourselves. We have a large mortgage that we pay ourselves, we cover all our own expenses, we budget carefully, don't own a car because we just can't afford it, save whatever little we can, and yes occasionally even take vacations, though very, very rarely.

It's all doable, you just need to be in the right frame of mind.

israeli83

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 5:39 pm
LisaS wrote:

The biggest material adjustment will be moving into a much smaller space than you have now, forcing you to get rid of many of your belongings. I say that not knowing where you live or what size home.

Right now we're a family of 5 living in a one bedroom apartment in NYC! Prices are so high and we're not moving till (hopefully) we make aliyah. I think the bedrooms in Israel are smaller sizes than in the US, however, apartments aren't tiny. I don't know, I guess when I grew up in Israel, I was just happy to have my own bedroom even if it was "small"... but kitchens are much bigger than in NY. There are always plus and minuses everywhere.

salt

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 2:44 am
OP you didn't write if you have an apartment where you live currently? Are you planning on selling that? Or did I miss that?

Zeleze

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 3:12 am
If your young, then both parents MUST pitch in to help, otherwise you can't manage each month ..

If your a older couple, then savings will help, or pension.

Teomima

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 3:23 am
Zeleze wrote:
If your young, then both parents MUST pitch in to help, otherwise you can't manage each month ..

I disagree. Not just in theory, either. We made it as a young couple without help. You work. You budget. You live within your means. Same goes as an older couple, too. My 77 year old father is still working.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 3:24 am
Zeleze wrote:

There are plenty of young couples here that dont have parents pitching in each month. Of course I dont mean 19 years old with no income. But 25 and both working.
Israeli parents often do help with downpayment, but monthly expenses and mortgage are for the couple to cover.

salt

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 3:38 am
amother wrote:
There are plenty of young couples here that dont have parents pitching in each month. Of course I dont mean 19 years old with no income. But 25 and both working.
Israeli parents often do help with downpayment, but monthly expenses and mortgage are for the couple to cover.

Completely agree. People who believe all young couples are being supported monthly by both parents are living amongst a very select group of friends.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions