Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Beware of baby nurses!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

allcuteonesrtak

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 8:13 am
eema of 3 wrote:
She did not confirm that the baby was a patient of dr shanik s, nor did I ask. All I asked is if the story was true and she said it happened on Sunday.

She cannot even confirm that patient was in her office on Sunday. That is violating the laws of HIPPA.

My friend's mom is a receptionist at a dermatologist. I was there for an appt and told her to send regards.. she said "I'm sorry I can't tell her, because she'll want to know where I met u, and that violates the laws of HIPPA".

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 8:56 am
allcuteonesrtak wrote:
She cannot even confirm that patient was in her office on Sunday. That is violating the laws of HIPPA.

My friend's mom is a receptionist at a dermatologist. I was there for an appt and told her to send regards.. she said "I'm sorry I can't tell her, because she'll want to know where I met u, and that violates the laws of HIPPA".

Again, not what she said. All she said was that it was in fact true and that it had happened on Sunday. She did not violate any hipaa laws. She confirmed that something happened. Not where.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:11 am
Well she is not telling the truth. the baby was hospitilized before shabbos.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:17 am
self-actualization wrote:
I have a friend who grew up in New Jersey whose live in nanny told her that she will go to H-ll if she doesn't believe in J-sus. My friend was terrified for quite a while (years?) but then asked her mother who clarified things for her. In the end my friend turned out great and is married to a local rabbi and has a beautiful family. But it's not an urban legend!!

A non-Jewish lady that worked for me told me how she told off her friend for giving the Jewish children in her care non-Kosher biscuits and the friend said 'who cares? the parents will never find out'. Yes. These things can and do happen.

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:31 am
amother wrote:
It was a gift from our parents. It cost about $500-600 a week.
The nurse took care of the baby all day and night unless I wanted to, she woke me at night to nurse the baby ( ori pumped milk and she bottle fed).

I guess I'm totally old fashioned but why would you want someone else to bond with your newborn?
Get someone to wash the floors, cook, do laundry but to look after your baby 24/7?
And this is common practice in Lakewood?

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:46 am
Culturedpearls, I'm wondering the same thing! I could understand some people must have one in some situations, but it has become so common.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:53 am
I know ppl where I live have taken baby nurses. But mostly only night nurses so the mother can have her very crucial postpartum sleep. By day they take care of their baby.

I wish this innocent baby a speedy rs and lots of joy in his / her life. Poor kid.

Poor nurse. She should be compensated.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 9:55 am
Culturedpearls wrote:
I guess I'm totally old fashioned but why would you want someone else to bond with your newborn?
Get someone to wash the floors, cook, do laundry but to look after your baby 24/7?

Lakewood is, in many ways, old fashioned. People used to hire baby nurses back in the 50s and 60s, maybe the 40s as well. Its currently out of vogue in most places.

I was, and am, an attachment parenting zealot. But in truth, that baby is going to not only bond, but epoxy, to her parents even if a nurse does the night feedings for a few weeks. Its not what I would do, but its not horrific, either.

Orchid

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 10:20 am
Culturedpearls wrote:

I don't think they're 24/7, but during night hours, so someone can feed baby (expressed milk?) while mom sleeps. Great idea if you can afford it!

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 10:26 am
amother wrote:
Well she is not telling the truth. the baby was hospitilized before shabbos.

Ok are you guys done now? Cuz this is totally not what this thread is about.

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
Culturedpearls, I'm wondering the same thing! I could understand some people must have one in some situations, but it has become so common.

And the same mom's also farm all the older kids out?
It's not conducive to establishing nursing (breast feeding).
I guess it's cultural? Exclusive to Lakewood?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 10:47 am
Culturedpearls wrote:

I never had a problem with nursing. I have a decent supply (even too much, at times) so I was able to pump and have the nurse feed the baby during one feeding so I got a six hour stretch at night.

crust

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:11 am
Culturedpearls wrote:

Cultural. Not exclusive to Lakewood, though.
Btw
My grandmother told me they used to hire a maid to actually nurse the baby! I freak out when I hear it, but I guess it wasn't weird back then.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:26 am
crust wrote:
Btw
My grandmother told me they used to hire a maid to actually nurse the baby! I freak out when I hear it, but I guess it wasn't weird back then.

yeah, also heard it from my grandmother. also made me feel to vomit.
the nurse was called a "wet-nurse"
back in those days pre-WWll in the shtetlech, there wasn't baby formula to feed a baby, and some mothers did not have milk or enough milk to satisfy their baby, so they had to hire a "wet-nurse".

and what about the fact that there was no blender, food-masher, food processor e.t.c in those days, and mothers who were starting their babies on solids would first chew the vegs. until it was grounded and give it to their child.
I also almost vomited when I heard that.

People learned to live and manage with what they had.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:45 am
On the topic of wet-nurses... Was that not what happened when bat-paroah couldn't nurse Moshe, she hired a Jewish lady to wet-nurse. Of course, god arranged it to be Moshe's own mother.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:48 am
eema of 3 wrote:
Ok are you guys done now? Cuz this is totally not what this thread is about.

What is this thread about?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 11:56 am
crust wrote:
Btw

Who is "they"? I'm assuming this is not a Jewish thing.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:02 pm
amother wrote:

http://www.jewishpress.com/jud.....2/31/

crust

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:

They is my grandmother's mother.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 19 2017, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:
http://www.jewishpress.com/judaism/parsha/nursing-from-a-non-jewish-woman/2015/12/31/

Thanks for the link. I did not realize this was ever an okay thing outside of life-saving necessity.

The other shock is that anyone was able to hire a maid to do this. I forget that not everyone grew up dirt poor like my grandparents in the shtetl.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics