Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva tuition scholarship formula
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 12:17 pm
Last year our Income was 130k
We have 3 children. We were asked to pay full tuition. Does this make sense based on our income?
Both parents work full time.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 12:19 pm
amother wrote:
We have 3 children. We were asked to pay full tuition. Does this make sense based on our income?

How much did tuition total?

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 12:24 pm
amother wrote:
How much did tuition total?

Full tuition is $13,000. Plus you need to pay building fees and other fees.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:

$13,000 per child or for the family?

Most schools - if they could - would offer a break for $39,000 in tuition on $130,000 of income. They would need to find the money elsewhere. There isn't an unlimited supply of funding that schools get to compensate for parents who can't afford tuition.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:

Each child? That's pretty much in the expected range, maybe a little more than you could hope for. Is there any sort of sibling discount or small break they offer without a scholarship application?

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
Each child? That's pretty much in the expected range, maybe a little more than you could hope for. Is there any sort of sibling discount or small break they offer without a scholarship application?

We only have 1 child in school. One is at a babysitter and one in playgroup

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 12:32 pm
amother wrote:

So yeah, that sounds right.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 12:34 pm
amother wrote:

so what are you total childcare/tuition costs for the year, assuming $13,000 for the child in school?

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 12:41 pm
Our combined income is 85,000 and we are expected to pay full tuition because we have savings that we have been saving up for a down payment. We have 3 children, 2 of whom are in school. Tuition = 22,000. And will only go up with our third child entering school. We have been extremely frugal in saving for our down payment. My friends, family members and acquaintances who live much less frugally get tuition breaks because they don't save.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:

One child in school with a family income of 130,000 should for sure be paying full tuition in my experience.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 1:04 pm
amother wrote:
Our combined income is 85,000 and we are expected to pay full tuition because we have savings that we have been saving up for a down payment. We have 3 children, 2 of whom are in school. Tuition = 22,000. And will only go up with our third child entering school. We have been extremely frugal in saving for our down payment. My friends, family members and acquaintances who live much less frugally get tuition breaks because they don't save.

the system is broken...

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:

Yes. With the same income, we paid $31,000 in tuition for four kids. We also spent an additional $18,000 on daycare for the youngest. Why wouldn't they ask for full tuition for one child in school?

samantha87

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 6:07 pm
amother wrote:

This sums up so much of what is wrong with the system.

smileyfaces

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 6:10 pm
amother wrote:

Ouch!

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 6:26 pm
amother wrote:

Then yes I agree with the other amother, it makes sense to pay full tuition with 1 kid in school and that income.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 6:28 pm
amother wrote:
So I was wondering if so loses a job chas v shalom and the tuition was based on a higher income will they lower it or is it too late bc the school is relying on that specific amount for tuition??

This happened with us and the school def took it into account, each year the school reassesses based on the expected income, not just the past income.

sarahmalka

Post Fri, Jul 28 2017, 6:29 pm
amother wrote:
I hope it goes well, and you are treated with respect.

Amen! Hatzlacha to you, OP.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 12:16 am
IYamWhoIYam wrote:
Special needs schools are covered by the govt, even the private ones. I know this from a friend whose son attends a private special needs school She doesn't pay a penny for it.

I am glad that your friend was able to obtain an appropriate placement that for her son that doesn't cost her a penny, but other parents are often not as fortunate. The local school district will cover a private special needs school if the parent can prove that the public school can't meet the child's educational needs. Getting the district to pay for the child to attend a Jewish special needs school can be more difficult and often requires filing a time-consuming and expensive lawsuit against the district.

Even if the district agrees to pay for the child to attend a Jewish special needs school, by law they are only allowed to pay for the portion of the child's education that is not religious in nature. So the parent still must pay for the rest of the child's educational costs, unless the school is willing to cover the rest through a scholarship.

My child attends a Jewish special needs school 45 minutes away from my home. The settlement I obtained from my school district only covers about half of her tuition, less than half if you include transportation (which is excluded from the settlement), leaving me with a hefty tuition bill.

The only reason I was able to obtain even this settlement was because the special needs placements my district offered didn't even come close to meeting my child's needs, irrespective of my preference for a Jewish school.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sun, Jul 30 2017, 1:06 am
amother wrote:
I am glad that your friend was able to obtain an appropriate placement that for her son that doesn't cost her a penny, but other parents are often not as fortunate. The local school district will cover a private special needs school if the parent can prove that the public school can't meet the child's educational needs. Getting the district to pay for the child to attend a Jewish special needs school can be more difficult and often requires filing a time-consuming and expensive lawsuit against the district.

Even if the district agrees to pay for the child to attend a Jewish special needs school, by law they are only allowed to pay for the portion of the child's education that is not religious in nature. So the parent still must pay for the rest of the child's educational costs, unless the school is willing to cover the rest through a scholarship.

My child attends a Jewish special needs school 45 minutes away from my home. The settlement I obtained from my school district only covers about half of her tuition, less than half if you include transportation (which is excluded from the settlement), leaving me with a hefty tuition bill.

The only reason I was able to obtain even this settlement was because the special needs placements my district offered didn't even come close to meeting my child's needs, irrespective of my preference for a Jewish school.

I never said it was a private RELIGIOUS school. I said private school. AFAIK the district had to reimburse her legal fees as part of it all.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics